Can I get drunk?

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
With beers you have to test cause of the liquid carb element.
I can still enjoy Guinness even though it's 18gs of carbs per pint.
I had to run a test, put my body on the line for science you see.
One night I drank 3 cans on an empty stomach then tested at the 1 hour mark while I was finishing my 3rd pint, basically looking for the spike.
Meter read 6.2mmol/L, did a little jump for joy then put that meter away before it took away my beloved Guinness.

Wine is a different animal, drives my BG down straight away, I could be in the 3s after a few glasses.
That response to wine is unusual. Red wine is supposed to be ok. Your Guiness cans contain a pint each ? Hmmmmm perhaps you were not counting straight after all that Guiness ?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As an unmedicated type two with a past history of drinking rum and coke in a Navy port (Portsmouth, Hants) I find that these days just one drink can flatten me for the rest of the evening.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That response to wine is unusual. Red wine is supposed to be ok. Your Guiness cans contain a pint each ? Hmmmmm perhaps you were not counting straight after all that Guiness ?

Used to be a big drinker pre-diagnosis.
With lifestyle changes I have cut back but I do what my meter lets me.

I've continued to test & find that after 3 or 4 beers my glucose levels drop no matter what the drink.
The wisdom is that the liver concentrates on the alcohol so doesn't release glucose the same way it would with naked carbs.

They say eat to your meter but I also drink to mine.

Reactions: EllieM

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tonight I hooked up my first Freestyle Libre.
First test after the hour calibration was 3 pints of Guinness.
Screenshots attached.
20210516_000412.jpg
Screenshot_20210515-235530.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210515-235559.jpg
    Screenshot_20210515-235559.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 134

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest that you weren't diabetic in the first place, just exhibiting insulin resistance due to your weight. Having lost 5.5 stone that has resolved. You have non diabetic numbers and have passed an OGTT so I don't think you are diabetic. Regularly drinking 3 pints of Guiness doesn't seem like a good idea, lovely stuff that it is, you are very likely to put the weight on again over time and get the insulin resistance back.

Reactions: 1970clea

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest that you weren't diabetic in the first place, just exhibiting insulin resistance due to your weight. Having lost 5.5 stone that has resolved. You have non diabetic numbers and have passed an OGTT so I don't think you are diabetic. Regularly drinking 3 pints of Guiness doesn't seem like a good idea, lovely stuff that it is, you are very likely to put the weight on again over time and get the insulin resistance back.

My weight loss has plateaued since I rapidly lost the original 5.5st.
Reintroduction of carbs has probably played a part with that.
Yesterday I began a C25K programme.
Next week I hope to begin IF for the first time, I've still about 4st to lose & I'm on a mission.

I'm about to put up my first day with the Libre CGM in the glucose monitoring forum.
Some interesting findings on my part.

pauldogs_0

I'm all for having a bit of fun sometimes, but I also think safe is better than sorry. Also, some beers, lager especially are high in sugar. I can't drink lager as it gives me a pounding headache, probably from the high sugar content.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Used to be a big drinker pre-diagnosis.
With lifestyle changes I have cut back but I do what my meter lets me.

I've continued to test & find that after 3 or 4 beers my glucose levels drop no matter what the drink.
The wisdom is that the liver concentrates on the alcohol so doesn't release glucose the same way it would with naked carbs.

They say eat to your meter but I also drink to mine.
Indeed. Four pints of Estrella Galicia tonight along with some no-carb tapas and I clock out just now at 4.9. That's OK.

Buzzer81

Some interesting answers on this thread.

Can I ask, when would be the best time to test to see a beers effect on my blood sugar....

Would it be 2 hours after the beer? Or perhaps the morning after?

I test for food but am not sure how or when is best to test to see the effects of a drink on my blood sugar levels.

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I’m still alive some of my finest moments happened after a litre
Depending on how frequent your sessions are, I doubt you'll be alive for much longer! However, good luck.

P.S. - I'm a whisky man myself, but I can't afford to drink a litre at a time.

If_only

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The thought of vegetables day after day after day for all eternity
Does anyone know if cider has any issues ?

If_only

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The thought of vegetables day after day after day for all eternity
Oh well I guess I can live without it