Advice for diabetes

jonesmia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As far as I know having healthy blood glucose is the way to reduce the risk of diabetic complications. Not exercise.
For a person with diabetes, exercise is just as important as diet and medication. In fact, the American Diabetes Association recommends at least 30 minutes of physical activity that increases the heart rate five days per week.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
they might be I am sure, but with exercising one hour per day there is enough evidence and studies available which say that you can delay diabetes related complications.

Not on its own it won't.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For a person with diabetes, exercise is just as important as diet and medication. In fact, the American Diabetes Association recommends at least 30 minutes of physical activity that increases the heart rate five days per week.

That’s not the requested link to studies/evidence showing that exercise will reduce diabetic complications. Please provide that.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Having looked at their site they are also saying a version of the 'eatwell' plate is desirable and we all know that ain't true. Don't get me wrong, I am all for exercise but on its own it won't get anyone into remission whereas for type 2's, following a particular diet, might.

jonesmia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please provide links to such evidence.
https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/diacare/39/11/2065.full.pdf
It has also been established that low cardiovascular fitness is a strong and independent predictor of all-cause mortality in patients with type 2 diabetes.Indeed, patients with diabetes are 2 to 4 times more likely than healthy individuals to suffer from cardiovascular disease, due to the metabolic complexity and underlying comorbidities of type 2 diabetes including obesity, insulin resistance, dyslipidemia, hyperglycemia, and hypertension.
In a meta-analysis of 9 randomized trials comprising 266 adults with type 2 diabetes, patients randomized to 20 weeks of regular exercise at 50% to 75% of their maximal aerobic capacity (VO2max) demonstrated marked improvements in HbA1c and cardiorespiratory fitness. Importantly, larger reductions in HbA1c were observed with more intense exercise, reflecting greater improvements in blood glucose control with increasing exercise intensity.

Exercise helps in reducing cardiovascular risk associated with diabetes
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5846677/

jonesmia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having looked at their site they are also saying a version of the 'eatwell' plate is desirable and we all know that ain't true. Don't get me wrong, I am all for exercise but on its own it won't get anyone into remission whereas for type 2's, following a particular diet, might.
I fully agree it has to be a balanced approach, right diet and exercise!

Hotpepper20000

It has also been established that low cardiovascular fitness is a strong and independent predictor of all-cause mortality in patients with type 2 diabetes.Indeed, patients with diabetes are 2 to 4 times more likely than healthy individuals to suffer from cardiovascular disease, due to the metabolic complexity and underlying comorbidities of type 2 diabetes including obesity, insulin resistance, dyslipidemia, hyperglycemia, and hypertension.
In a meta-analysis of 9 randomized trials comprising 266 adults with type 2 diabetes, patients randomized to 20 weeks of regular exercise at 50% to 75% of their maximal aerobic capacity (VO2max) demonstrated marked improvements in HbA1c and cardiorespiratory fitness. Importantly, larger reductions in HbA1c were observed with more intense exercise, reflecting greater improvements in blood glucose control with increasing exercise intensity.

Exercise is an aid but on its own does nothing.
I swam, biked, boxed, and walked and still had a AIC of 10.8.
Exercise is important for many things but if a person still fills up on carbohydrates even “ healthy” ones
It does nothing for diabetics.

Reactions: Sad21+

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there, I don't think that was the point being discussed though. I'm sure we'd all agree that exercise may help manage diabetes and that it may be great for heart health and a good thing to do etc, BUT you said that exercise was 'just as important as diet' and it's not.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
patients randomized to 20 weeks of regular exercise at 50% to 75% of their maximal aerobic capacity (VO2max) demonstrated marked improvements in HbA1c and cardiorespiratory fitness. Importantly, larger reductions in HbA1c were observed with more intense exercise, reflecting greater improvements in blood glucose control with increasing exercise intensity.
This says exercise is important because it reduces hba1c. In other words, it's about getting your hba1c (and BG) at a healthy level. You seem to ignore many of us have done just that without the exercise.

You'll need to find a study between groups of diabetics with around the same hba1c during the whole study, one with exercise, one without, and see if one of the groups develops significantly more diabetic complications like retinopathy, kidney disease and neuropathy before you can say it's not the blood sugars but the exercise in itself to prevent diabetic complications.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Based on my personal experience I would disagree. Exercise is nowhere near as important as diet for me - I've not done anything extra since dx and have achieved 'remission' solely by cutting carbs. Exercise has benefits but beware of overclaiming.

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep a diabetes ✻logbook✻ of BP, HbA1c, etc

jonesmia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s not the requested link to studies/evidence showing that exercise will reduce diabetic complications. Please provide that.
these link have cited that exercise helps in lowering cardiovascular risk associated with diabetes.

jonesmia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exercise is an aid but on its own does nothing.
I swam, biked, boxed, and walked and still had a AIC of 10.8.
Exercise is important for many things but if a person still fills up on carbohydrates even “ healthy” ones
It does nothing for diabetics.
I agree so thats why exercise and diet both have their own importance

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Look, I don't disagree that exercise is important (I wish I'd started taking it seriously twenty or thirty years ago instead of ten) but I'd just like to point out that as a person with T1 diabetes, absolutely the most important thing is medication, namely insulin. I'd be dead in a week without it, probably less. :). Although I may or may not be able to reduce the amount I take, via diet and/or exercise, I'm dead without it, and I don't produce any of my own.

And just as I can categorically state, as a T1, that insulin is more essential than exercise, I think that you also have to recognise that there are many different shades of T2 (and T3c and MODY and ...) out there, and some people don't fit neatly into any particular diabetic box. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that many T2s have their diabetes improved by exercise, (just as I'd expect most of them to have their levels improved by reducing carbs), but some have other complications or illnesses that make exercise almost impossible.

I don't think there is a one size fits all treatment in diabetes, partly because it is a condition that has so many different causes. All you can do is try to control your own particular flavour, sharing advice with others but recognising that they may be in a slightly different position.

Reactions: TashT1 and MandieA