50 year award?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Adverts, EU, Brussel Sprouts, Ginge & Winge.
I am reaching 50 years since first diagnosis of Type 1 in 1971 aged just 17.

Do I have to request this award, and if so does anyone know how to or who to connect with?

Manny Thanks

gb350

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done to you Allen. I'm 42 years with type 1 now. Probably experienced many of the high's and low's that you have along the way.

[Mod edit.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lesley4b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes there is a 50 year medal awarded
If you join the Type 1 diabetes Facebook group and ask the admins are from diabetes uk and will direct you to the right place to apply
Good luck I’m due mine next year

Reactions: Allen50yearsT1

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations on reaching your milestone, @Allen50yearsT1 .

Diabetes UK DO provide medals for people who have had diabetes for 50 years. Details are available at https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/medals
You will see that there is no cost for the medal which, for a charity that funds valuable research, support, training, lobbying, advocacy services, etc, is incredibly generous.

Bear in mind, despite the similarity in name, this forum has absolutely nothing to do with the Charity Diabetes UK.

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done Allen. It's a bonnie medal too and opening the presentation box it came in was one of my proudest moments. Fingers crossed I'll still be here to get the 60 years one in a few years time! Bill

Reactions: In Response

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
50 year medal sounds good 52 years for me, Makes me want to move back to the UK, Not really, may be someone in France will tell me there is a fifty year medal here in France, still its nice to get medal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for all your replies, we are all one big happy family indeed. I'll update my medal status when I succeed. Bless you all

Reactions: In Response

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That reminds me, I've got 6 years to try and find when I was diagnosed - I don't actually know the date, the only letter I've found stated the month and year (but that letter wasn't the diagnosis letter, it was a letter that was actually from a year later)

But yes hope it doesn't take too long to get it @Allen50yearsT1

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rokaab, over very many years I had GPs and diabetic hospital clinics all over the UK and I think they must pass medical information between them. When I went to my doctor a few months before my 50 years anniversary, he told me immediately the month and year I was diagnosed. He was located over 100 miles from the hospital/doctors’ surgery who diagnosed me when I was a wee boy. Fingers crossed yours will be easily able to confirm the details. Bill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just to let you all know I have sent in my application for the Nabarro Medal for 50 years living with Type 1 and also to Joslin for one of their recognition medals and certificates too! And Why Not, I've earned them. lol

Thanks to you all too for your kind messages.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
50 year medal sounds good 52 years for me, Makes me want to move back to the UK, Not really, may be someone in France will tell me there is a fifty year medal here in France, still its nice to get medal
You can get a medal from Joslin in the USA, Criteria to qualify I have extracted from the application form to help you.

Since 1970, Joslin Diabetes Center has also awarded a 50-year bronze medal and certificate to recognize the remarkable achievement of a successful life with insulin-dependent diabetes for half a century or more.
The only physical qualification for these awards is living with insulin-dependent diabetes for the specified number of years. Documentation of an applicant’s date of diagnosis of diabetes or date of beginning of insulin treatment is required. We suggest one of the following forms of documentation for the certificate or medal candidate:
Preferred Documentation
• Photocopy of discharge summary from the hospital where insulin treatment began or photocopy of a current medical record that states the date of diabetes diagnosis. Applicants* can request this information from the Medical Records department of the hospital where they were treated. Quite often, records of admission from so long ago have been destroyed. In this case, ask if the hospital has index cards on file with the same type information. These cards often document the name of the patient, address, dates of admission, diagnosis and sometimes also insulin treatment. A photocopy of this type of card is acceptable documentation. *Please note that due to patient privacy laws, if the person requesting the medical records is not the patient him/herself, an “Authorization for Release of Personal Health Information Form” signed by the patient is required.
Alternate Documentation (choose one of the following)
• A letter from the physician who started the applicant on insulin at diagnosis (letter should include dates) or a letter from an associate who has carried on the original physician’s practice (provided that the associate has access to the original files).
• If the applicant kept a diary of urine and blood tests, diet, insulin, etc. during the early stages of insulin treatment, photocopies of these dated records are acceptable documentation. Dated baby books kept by the applicant’s parents may also be acceptable.
• A letter from the applicant’s current endocrinologist verifying longevity of diabetes diagnosis.
• Letters of recommendation from three of the applicant’s relatives or friends (usually people older than or the same age as the applicant) who can recall the onset of the applicant’s diabetes and insulin treatment. When possible, letters should include references to family and/or local or national events that occurred around the same time to confirm the date in question.
In addition to providing documentation, please complete and return the enclosed application. All correspondence, including the completed application and documentation from any of the above sources, should be mailed to: Joslin Diabetes Center, Medalist Program – Rm 359, One Joslin Place, Boston, MA 02215. Contact the office at (617) 309-2750, or via e-mail at [email protected] if you have any questions.

E-mail: [email protected]

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I posted the email to Joslin about 30 minutes ago, and have received this reply.

Hi Allen,

After reviewing your application and documentation you are approved for the Joslin 50-year medal. Congratulations on this milestone!

Due to COVID-19, I am still only in the office about once per month to send medals, but you should have this award by mid-June. Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Congratulations again,

Kayla

So simple to do, it's a Bronze Medal, I can take a photo and let people see if that is wanted by anyone? June sometime I guess
Take care everyone