Clueless prediabetic! Help

may2021

Okay, so I had a routine blood test and was told I was prediabetic... I am a low risk. Maybe 2lb over weight, but I exercise every day (walking) and run 3 times per week. Veggie and treats are treats. All the Dr said was give me a leaflet telling me to lose weight, exercise and eat healthy. .. I have a very healthy lifestyle with fruit and veggies.. so what do I do next? My friend said to get a blood test machine I did. I did my first test in the morning 6.9 and tonight (2 hours after eating) 7.6. I don't know if that's good or bad. I am clueless as to what to do. Any advice??

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any idea what the HbA1c that led to your diagnosis of pre-diabetes was?

Unfortunately T2's /Pre diabetics are sort of allergic to carbohydrate which is contained in many vegetarian foods. Sweet fruits (tropical ones especially) are also quite deleterious to your blood sugar levels.

Its best to cut back on starchy foods, anything with grains, root veg, pasta and rice and obviously anything with sugar.
Unfortunately carbohydrate turns to sugar once ingested so try lowering carbs as much as possible.
Eggs and cheese will be your friends here as would fish and meat but....

Your 6.9 and 7.6 whilst not great aren't especially bad.
I like to stay under 6 at all times so that might be something to aim for.

www.dietdoctor.com is a great site fot food ideas and to give you an idea of carbohydrate content in various food types.
They also have a vegetarian recipe section for low carb foods. Definitely worth a look.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums @may2021.

The link below gives the NHS recommended blood sugar levels, including a rough guide for non diabetics, so you can see that yours aren't too bad.
Normal and Diabetic Blood Sugar Level Ranges - Blood Sugar Levels for Diabetes

You've bought a blood testing meter, which is useful, because it'll tell you whether the carbs in a particular meal are sending your blood sugar too high. But remember that glucometers aren't 100% accurate, and sometimes give very odd readings (particularly if you've got some contaminants on your hands) so don't panic if you get occasional strange readings.

Good luck.

Reactions: Sad21+

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay, so I had a routine blood test and was told I was prediabetic... I am a low risk. Maybe 2lb over weight, but I exercise every day (walking) and run 3 times per week. Veggie and treats are treats. All the Dr said was give me a leaflet telling me to lose weight, exercise and eat healthy. .. I have a very healthy lifestyle with fruit and veggies.. so what do I do next? My friend said to get a blood test machine I did. I did my first test in the morning 6.9 and tonight (2 hours after eating) 7.6. I don't know if that's good or bad. I am clueless as to what to do. Any advice??
There's this idea that if something's loaded with vitamins and the like, it absolutely must be healthy. But what if there's also something in there that your body, due to a metabolic condition, cannot cope with? If a satsuma contained arsenic, would you eat it for the Vit C? It's a bit of an extreme analogy, but that's basically what's happening. There's lots of good stuff in fruits and veg, but there's also a massive load of carbohydrates in a lot of them... It is apparently possible to do low carb while going veggie, (This forum has a vegetarian section too) but it does take an effort, and you might require supplements. (Especially B12, should you also be put on Metformin at some point. It inhibits the uptake.) The few things that are zero carb, are meat, fish, poultry, eggs and dairy, unfortunately. Still, there's berries and above ground veggies, leafy greens, (Pulses you'd have to test for, some can handle them, some can't), tofu, mushrooms etc. Look into how many grams of carbs are in what you're eating and check what changes and replacements you can make. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ was written with omnivores in mind, so never mind the foods with faces, but it might help some.

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: AlieE

andromache

Better to know you're pre-diabetic than not to know because its something you can take action to sort out before there's too much harm done. For most of us who do not manage carbohydrate well, cutting down pretty drastically on carbs is key. That's trickier for a vegetarian than an omnivore, but much easier for a vegetarian than a vegan - if you are OK with eggs and cheese, that will be a great help. There's plenty of great information on the main part of this site, including a very good explanation of what a pre-diabetes dx means and what you can do about it. I suggest you have a good read and get your head around it. Don't panic. Just settle in to learn about what you need to do and you'll be fine. I am really glad you've found this site - it will steer you in the right direction for a healthy future. But you do need to take this stuff seriously and accept that what looked to you like 'healthy eating' seems to have landed you in this fix. As many of us have had to do, you might have to reframe the whole notion of 'healthy eating' and what that means for you.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Doing all the "right" things doesn't always work. I "ate healthily", exercised, all that, and still gained weight and became diabetic. This might help:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/kennya.517579/

The good news is that it's relatively easy to make a change, by eating less carbohydrate. Unfortunately the establishment view is that carbohydrate is good for you, and getting past that is important.

best of luck

may2021

Thank you all for your reply..and taking the time to comment. I was also just wondering how often should I check my bloods. The tests strips are very expensive..thanks.

Reactions: andromache
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the beefs I have with the medical profession is that none of them seem to know what eating healthily actually means. They always say to eat healthily but leave it to the patient to interpret this and it is no surprise that most think they already do. One bloke on Quora said that he always eats healthily. He had pizza and cheesecake for his evening meal.

I was sent to see a nutritionist who wrote a three line plan for me one of which was to eat carbohydrates with every meal.

Having wrought off a bit I suppose I should try and help. Avoid carbohydrates and do as Professor Lustig says and don't drink the soda.