New, panicking, and asking for advice please!

SheilaCanning

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't sure where to post this update but thought seeing as here is where I started it seemed like a good idea.

I got a call from my diabetic nurse today to say she's never known anyone reduce their blood sugar levels so quickly and so well. She asked how I did it and I told her through eating low carb. I monitor my carbs and calories on My Fitness Pal and have lost 12 pounds and reduced my blood sugar from 7.7 (60.7) to 6.2 (44.3).

I'm delighted and would not have done that without your kind advice and support. She says they will retest in August and if I maintain these levels they will consider me in remission.

THANK YOU for taking the time to help a stranger.

Reactions: SirLance-alot

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, congratulations!
You can tell your nurse that many on this forum reduced their Hb1Ac by adjusting diet. In my case it is intermittent fasting, which resulted in reducing my levels from 70s to 40s. I do 2 days per week with only 600 calories and few carbs, i.e. only green vegetables, lentils, beans, cauliflower, eggs, fish, chicken and salad. I started this diet when my GP wanted to put me on Gliclazide, and I wanted to lose 10 kg, which I did and I am now off metformin as well, I am still doing this as it works for me. A good book to read is "The Diabetes Code" from Jason Fung, which explain how the metabolism works, that it is about carbs, not calories and that intermittent fasting is a trick well established during our evolution as humans, when people needed to use up their fat reserves to survive famines. In my view intermittent fasting is arguably the only successful weight loss method. You have to do what works for you, so best wishes in keeping up your results (and down your Hb1Ac)

Reactions: SheilaCanning
I have just been diagnosed with T2 diabetes shocked, scared, finding this very overwhelming had blood test 2weeks ago and my level came back as 100!! Gp has told me to cut out and have certain foods like the rest of you. I will be having another blood test next week. I can’t get my head round how many carbs I can have in one meal and also what snacks I should eat and how much. I am not a big eater at the best of times. Any help is much appreciated x

Reactions: TooSweetForMe

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @New Life style and welcome!

You might be better off with your own thread as you’ll get more responses as this is an old thread - let me know and I can move your post and my reply.

It’s perfectly natural to be shocked and scared/worried when first diagnosed. Your HbA1c of 100 is high, but if it’s any consolation, many of us here have started at, near or above (108 in my case) that number and got down to non-diabetic numbers, so it can be done.

I wouldn’t worry too much about exactly how many carbs to eat at each meal. Initially the main thing is to severely reduce/cut out all the ‘beige’ carbs (rice, bread, potatoes, pasta), limit (or eliminate if you can) root vegetables and replace the carbs with above ground vegetables, or extra protein. This website is a good starting point: https://www.dietdoctor.com/ - there are paid plans, but you can get all the information you need for free.

Ideally snacks are best avoided, but that can be difficult at first, so if you need something, stick to nuts or veggies or a hard boiled egg or something else low in carbs. Keep hydrated and if cooking from scratch, make sure you get enough salt.

I’d also advise getting a blood glucose meter so you can test the impact of foods on your blood glucose. We can advise on thread most cost effective ones.

A lot to get your head around, but it’s doable and you’re in the right place for support. Stick around and keep us posted!