Taking the 2nd AstraZeneca Jab ???

Colette2231

Hello,

I was just wondering what people’s views were on this and how many have had their second one considering the risks associated with blood clots. I am due to have my 2nd one soon and fall into the under 30 category. According to the news there is a higher risk of blood clots in the under 30’s. I had a high fever, chills, headache and high readings with the first one. Being a type 1 diabetic and the risks of blood clots is making me have doubts about whether to take the second one. I know there is risks if I take it and risks if I don’t but there is so many stories out there, it is hard to know what to believe.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Colette2231 I have had 2 astra zeneca jabs now - with the 1st I had a fever and aches for 24 hours and had my second last week with just a sore arm, I did a 7km run in the evening and felt great. Personally I wanted to get as much immunity as possible so having the second jab was vital.

Reactions: EllieM

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m pretty sure almost all the cases were 1st jabs not second. I am a bit older but have at increased risk of clots due to migraine with aura and just had my second last week. I had even less reaction to the second than the first, as is most common. Please get the reassurance you need in order to get the second jab ASAP. Perhaps a call to your dr or looking up the research and assessment papers specifically about this issue.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, the last evidence I saw on the blood clots stated that they happened with the 1st dose, not the 2nd.
However, that was weeks ago, so it would be worth you doing your own research on this.

All the evidence I have seen is that the risk of complications from the vaccine is minute compared with the risk of complications from the virus itself.

Reactions: EllieM and Juicyj

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am T2 and considerably older than you are. I have had 2 Astra-Zeneca jabs and am very thankful for them. After the first I was tired and achy for 24 hours from the following morning, with a sore arm when lifting it above my head for a week or two. With the second I had zero side effects, not even a sore arm. The risk of blood clots is minimal compared with the risk of being ill with Corona Virus. I know which I prefer. I agree with the above that from what I have read it is the first dose that has been linked to the vast majority of the blood clot issues.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I happily went ahead with both AZ jabs.
The risk of blood clots is far higher for the first jab than the second and the risk of blood clots if you get covid is higher than any of the jabs ... as is the risk of blood clots from the contraceptive pill.

Reactions: Juicyj

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm going for my second one on Friday. As others have said the risk is much lower for the second dose and all the experts have said it's important to have it.
P.s I'm 33

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM and Juicyj

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I've had 2nd AZ jab. Minor sniffles and headache for the first, absolutely nothing for the second.

Reactions: EllieM

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All medical treatment is a balance of risks. I agree with others who consider the risk to health to be far greater from covid than from the vaccine, and with the Indian variant romping through the country I want all the cover I can get. I work with a lot of people based in India and the situation there is heartbreaking. Another colleague from Europe lost his elderly diabetic (but otherwise fit and well) father to covid in a matter of a few days. He had received a single dose of Pfizer but unfortunately that was not enough to protect him.

My 2nd AZ dose is on the 2nd of June and it can’t come soon enough.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

I was just wondering what people’s views were on this and how many have had their second one considering the risks associated with blood clots. I am due to have my 2nd one soon and fall into the under 30 category. According to the news there is a higher risk of blood clots in the under 30’s. I had a high fever, chills, headache and high readings with the first one. Being a type 1 diabetic and the risks of blood clots is making me have doubts about whether to take the second one. I know there is risks if I take it and risks if I don’t but there is so many stories out there, it is hard to know what to believe.
I think you should consider the risks of a covid infection (much more well known) vs. the risks of the vaccine (not really well known yet).
The overall risk of death across the population is 0.15-0.23% (WHO paper Dec. 2020) but as a type 1 diabetic you would multiply that by 3 (Professor Karr's analysis May 2020 - he's the NHS diabetes lead). If you are obese then the risk increases and being female helps reduce it but age is on your side especially if your blood sugars are well controlled.
Ultimately we just don't know the side effects for a younger woman from this vaccine as we are in the live trial part of this and there 's a lot of pro vaccine information to encourage you to take it and of course the threat of vaccine passports or the ear that being unvaccinated will harm others who are vaccinated.
Ultimately it is YOUR individual risk and you should decide on that basis only.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you should consider the risks of a covid infection (much more well known) vs. the risks of the vaccine (not really well known yet).
The overall risk of death across the population is 0.15-0.23% (WHO paper Dec. 2020) but as a type 1 diabetic you would multiply that by 3 (Professor Karr's analysis May 2020 - he's the NHS diabetes lead). If you are obese then the risk increases and being female helps reduce it but age is on your side especially if your blood sugars are well controlled.
Ultimately we just don't know the side effects for a younger woman from this vaccine as we are in the live trial part of this and there 's a lot of pro vaccine information to encourage you to take it and of course the threat of vaccine passports or the ear that being unvaccinated will harm others who are vaccinated.
Ultimately it is YOUR individual risk and you should decide on that basis only.
I guess your comment acts as balance to the rest being “pro” and puts the alternative arguments.

I agree it is an individual risk in taking the vaccine but your status may affect those around you if you don’t. (Eg if you catch it and suffer/die it effects your loved ones. Or if you catch it and transmit to someone unable to be vaccinated or for whom it didn’t work well). You need to be comfortable with that part of the equation too. It’s not a threat it’s a fact. Vaccine passports are not yet a reality or certainty so need not sway your choice - yet.

Also the risks of covid are not just death. Long term side effects and complications (long covid) are also a factor which we still don’t know a huge amount about and for some have lasted a year and still counting. This risk % is higher than death %

I think we’d agree though only the individual (and maybe with your loved ones and doctor’s help) can make these choices.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I guess your comment acts as balance to the rest being “pro” and puts the alternative arguments.

I agree it is an individual risk in taking the vaccine but your status may affect those around you if you don’t. (Eg if you catch it and suffer/die it effects your loved ones. Or if you catch it and transmit to someone unable to be vaccinated or for whom it didn’t work well). You need to be comfortable with that part of the equation too. It’s not a threat it’s a fact. Vaccine passports are not yet a reality or certainty so need not sway your choice - yet.

Also the risks of covid are not just death. Long term side effects and complications (long covid) are also a factor which we still don’t know a huge amount about and for some have lasted a year and still counting. This risk % is higher than death %

I think we’d agree though only the individual (and maybe with your loved ones and doctor’s help) can make these choices.
It feels as though there's a lot of pressure on the young to get the vaccine and this makes me uncomfortable. When I am offered the flu jab each year I haven't yet made that decision on the basis that I might pass it on to someone yet I might potentially do so and the resulting illness might kill them given the hit and miss nature of the flu jabs! We used to just stay in bed or stay away from granny when we had the flu or a nasty cold but now we are told that we can pass it on just by breathing in spite of the very weak evidence for asymptomatic transmission (a feature that is apparently unique to this virus and typhoid which transmits via touch).
Yet here we are in 2021 and people keep asking if I've had my jabs yet (it is none of their business) which can be either a conversational gambit given nobody's going on a foreign holiday so we can't chat about that or could genuinely change the nature of our interaction. I hope it is just the former but the question is starting to bug me!
We are hyper focussed on covid/long covid etc yet I haven't seen evidence that young people are disproportionately affected by it in comparison to any other viral illness some of which can take a long time to recover from and/or cause post viral syndrome. As I understand it the general rate for post viral syndrome is 1% of those who have a virus.
I mention the passports because I know it is a factor that some young people are anticipating and in my own notes on my GP app it clearly states my status where it didn't previously!

Colette2231

Thank you all for replying. I have always been for the vaccine but it was the reports of the high risk of blood clots in the young that has made me have doubts. I guess it is a matter of weighing up my individual risks.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will be getting my second AZ vaccination next month.

I am not worried about blood clots, I have more chance of winning the Gold Lotto here in Australia than getting a clot.

Reactions: Circuspony

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for replying. I have always been for the vaccine but it was the reports of the high risk of blood clots in the young that has made me have doubts. I guess it is a matter of weighing up my individual risks.
The risk is higher in the young but even for them there is an extremely low risk of getting a blood clot and even less chance that it would be fatal.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was told that as I did not have any blood clot reaction symptoms after the first it was OK to proceed and have the second. I had really high bloods after the first needing about 4 times my usual total insulin dose for about 1 week. I had no side effects after the second at all, barely even a painful arm. Hope this helps, but do discuss it with your doctor if you're concerned as they're best placed to advise.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It feels as though there's a lot of pressure on the young to get the vaccine and this makes me uncomfortable. When I am offered the flu jab each year I haven't yet made that decision on the basis that I might pass it on to someone yet I might potentially do so and the resulting illness might kill them given the hit and miss nature of the flu jabs! We used to just stay in bed or stay away from granny when we had the flu or a nasty cold but now we are told that we can pass it on just by breathing in spite of the very weak evidence for asymptomatic transmission (a feature that is apparently unique to this virus and typhoid which transmits via touch).
Yet here we are in 2021 and people keep asking if I've had my jabs yet (it is none of their business) which can be either a conversational gambit given nobody's going on a foreign holiday so we can't chat about that or could genuinely change the nature of our interaction. I hope it is just the former but the question is starting to bug me!
We are hyper focussed on covid/long covid etc yet I haven't seen evidence that young people are disproportionately affected by it in comparison to any other viral illness some of which can take a long time to recover from and/or cause post viral syndrome. As I understand it the general rate for post viral syndrome is 1% of those who have a virus.
I mention the passports because I know it is a factor that some young people are anticipating and in my own notes on my GP app it clearly states my status where it didn't previously!
My final comment before I’m accused of derailing. Happy to continue on another thread if you like.

There’s a fair bit of evidence that this is NOT flu and is far more transmissible and more serious to more people. To compare it is not accurate. It is almost universally accepted now as aerosol transmitted so it is in the air we breathe. Official counts by ons say 77k children have long covid - undoubtedly the reality is higher. https://www.longcovidkids.org/. I for one am not comfortable with this especially seeing as “kids don’t catch it or or if they do they don’t suffer”

I’m sure lack of other events and distracts drive conversation but I do understand the wish to choose what medical information you keep to yourself. You seem robust enough to tell people that, although I get some might not. Passports might become an issue for some. If it becomes insurmountable to them they can always reassess their decisions if and when it does. Ie if the disruption is worse than the vaccination then get it later. Again I realise this doesn’t give an answer to those who have a genuine (but non medical) issue with the vaccine but I bet it would solve the dilemma for those that just like to make noise.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
The risk and a side effect of the contraceptive pill is blood clots and I think the risk is far greater than the AZvaccine looking at the figures, if we looked at the side effects of all medicines we take even the humble paracetamol e wouldn’t take any of them ,

Reactions: sleepster

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I have had 2 doses of the AZ vaccine (yes, I am that old!). I had a sore arm and felt off-colour and tired in the following couple of days. With the second one I had no side effects at all, not even a sore arm!

sharonlmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my second AZ injection last Thursday, all good, no problems or side effects, I wouldn't hesitate if I had to have it again.