What diabetes medicine are you currently taking?

super_mum1001

Just curious to see what everyone is currently on and share experiences about what has and has not worked well for you in the past. Goes without saying everyone should discuss with their GP if they are planning to make any changes to their medication.

I'm currently on:

Morning:
1 x Glicazide 80mg
1 x Invokana 300mg

Evening:
1 x Glicazide 80mg
1 x Janumet (50 mg sitagliptin / 1,000 mg metmorfin)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I managed to take Metformin and Atorvastatin for about 5 weeks - was badly affected by them so I threw them away. All I needed to do was eat low carb, have been in normal numbers since mid 2017. That's almost 4 years - wow!

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Insulin.
metformin gave me gut troubles, atorvastatin leg muscle cramps, glicazide constipation, a gliptin nausea, and byetta made me actually throw up. I think my doctors given up on diabetes medication, although he is pushing something for high blood pressure (which I haven't got).

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not been put on any diabetic medications as of yet.

I eat plenty of meat, baconn eggs dairy products and green veggies in my my diet.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
None.
Achieved remission through Low Carb 'way of eating' alone (not needing even any extra exercise).

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
None for the last two years, using LCHF and exercise only. Steadily decreasing doses of Metformin in the previous 5 years. Blood glucose has been in the normal range for 6.5 years.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not any now which I know you asked about those on meds currently but I thought my experience of what I had and how it worked might help

I used to be on:
  • Metformin, no real issues, some b12 deficiency towards the end but that was after 9 years+. Worked well for me, did reduce my hba1c
  • Bydureon no issues. Worked well in conjunction with metformin to keep my levels in check for over a decade
  • However… I didn’t control my diet with the above so eventually Dapflaglozin was added after a decade as the above 2 topped working so well, this was part of the progressive nature - Only drug I got real side effects on: Thrush and back pain, but it did drive my blood levels down so it did it’s job. Was only on a few months
I was lucky in that lowered carbs and weight loss has supported coming off the drugs. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. If I ever need drugs again in the future then I’m not anti, I just may continue to be okay and not need

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been a type 2 for over 9 years, and havent had any medication yet. I have controlled my diabetes through low carbing, less than 100g a day.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been T2 for over 7 years and never had any medication. I am in remission and did this solely by changing to a low carb diet. I eat mainly meat, eggs, fish, dairy, some veg but not much, and nowadays can eat extra carbs such as lower carb toast and a few potatoes.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Metformin 1.5g /day, which has been from diagnosis til now, total of four years. Despite maintaining HbA1cs at a non-diabetic level from 4 months after diagnosis, I do not get any side effects and am happy to stay on it so I don’t have to compromise my diet any more than I already have.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Nothing since dx in December 2019.
"In remission"-- I did not imagine that could be possible. I am taking
Metformin 2x 500mg daily
Gliclazyde 80 mg daily
Insuline (Humulin?) 138-40 daily; 8:00pm daily

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
"In remission"-- I did not imagine that could be possible. I am taking
Metformin 2x 500mg daily
Gliclazyde 80 mg daily
Insuline (Humulin?) 138-40 daily; 8:00pm daily
There are more than a few of us on here. Definition used (for me) was going a full year with HBA1c in normal range.

LindaManville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Jogging
I'm on metformin 2000 a day and victoza
Plus low caring. It works a little bit but
My numbers are still to high

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never on anything since diagnosis 3 yrs ago. Another one doing it with low carb diet. Under 50g for me, often less.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just curious to see what everyone is currently on and share experiences about what has and has not worked well for you in the past. Goes without saying everyone should discuss with their GP if they are planning to make any changes to their medication.

I'm currently on:

Morning:
1 x Glicazide 80mg
1 x Invokana 300mg

Evening:
1 x Glicazide 80mg
1 x Janumet (50 mg sitagliptin / 1,000 mg metmorfin)
Was put on metformin, then switched to gliclazide, and since both were made redundant by low carbing, I've been without medication for 4,5 years now. Just had a blood draw this morning, very curious to find out what my HbA1c is up to these days.

Reactions: bulkbiker