Splitting Lantus to lower morning test

iamallready

Hi,
I have recently moved from the UK back to New Zealand.
In the UK I was on Novorapid and Tresiba, and that regime was working really well.
Tresiba is not available in this country, and I've had to go back to using Lantus. The results have been frustrating, with morning highs virtually every day since I've been on it. It's just not lasting 24 hours. I can see from my LibreLink that it's working fine until about 22-23 hours, and then spiking. So I'm continually hitting 12-15 for my first morning test. Not good!
Looking to split the Lantus dose to see if this helps. From the info I've found in forums on this site it appears most people have opted for about 60% at night and 40% in the morning, but all the advice is from several years ago.
Has anyone experimented with this recently and had success?
Thanks in advance, Hamish

Goma5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I split mine 50:50, but i was previously taking it all in the evening and having overnight lows.

seems alright on the Libre for me, if anything i maybe get an increase in BGs towards evening mealtime.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
It comes down to how active you are in the mornings.. there is a peak of action at about 4 hours.. so if you are really active there is a risk of low bg around that point so may be more at night when you are less active..

Or vice versus struggling highs in the morning you can try more in the morning

Personally 50/50 worked for me.. but I much preferred tresiba

Reactions: rosemaree

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I have recently moved from the UK back to New Zealand.
In the UK I was on Novorapid and Tresiba, and that regime was working really well.
Tresiba is not available in this country, and I've had to go back to using Lantus. The results have been frustrating, with morning highs virtually every day since I've been on it. It's just not lasting 24 hours. I can see from my LibreLink that it's working fine until about 22-23 hours, and then spiking. So I'm continually hitting 12-15 for my first morning test. Not good!
Looking to split the Lantus dose to see if this helps. From the info I've found in forums on this site it appears most people have opted for about 60% at night and 40% in the morning, but all the advice is from several years ago.
Has anyone experimented with this recently and had success?
Thanks in advance, Hamish
If you are not doing it already try taking it around 9 pm. Then even if doesn’t last the full 24 hours you will be covered by the NovoRapid taken with your evening meal.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take 10 units of Lantus at 11am and 8 units at 11pm. The evening dose works very well over night. Sometimes the morning dose I crash about 4pm but tried lowering the morning dose to 9 units then my sugars run too high all day.
Overall spilting Lantus works much better than one dose.

iamallready

I split mine 50:50, but i was previously taking it all in the evening and having overnight lows.

seems alright on the Libre for me, if anything i maybe get an increase in BGs towards evening mealtime.

Great, thanks. I guess increased BGs can be corrected by short acting dose before dinner.

iamallready

It comes down to how active you are in the mornings.. there is a peak of action at about 4 hours.. so if you are really active there is a risk of low bg around that point so may be more at night when you are less active..

Thank you. Yes, I much preferred the stability of Tresiba, which was why I was put on it in the first place. For me it's about taking out the high waking test from Lantus not going the distance. I can deal with any dips during the day.

iamallready

I take 10 units of Lantus at 11am and 8 units at 11pm. The evening dose works very well over night. Sometimes the morning dose I crash about 4pm but tried lowering the morning dose to 9 units then my sugars run too high all day.
Overall spilting Lantus works much better than one dose.

Thanks, I'll def give it a go. May start off with 50/50 and adjust depending on outcome.

iamallready

If you are not doing it already try taking it around 9 pm. Then even if doesn’t last the full 24 hours you will be covered by the NovoRapid taken with your evening meal.

I used to take it at bedtime, but ran into problems with sleep hypos as it peaks in 4 hours. Switched to mornings, then to Tresiba. Think I'll have a go at splitting as feedback has been overwhelmingly fore

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really happy you asked this question. I was going to.
I have noticed my readings are increasing in the morning again.
I take 16 Lantus at 8am. Initially, I had 6s but over the past 2 days, 7s. Daytime is normally between 5 and 6, even before bed. I think the Lantus is running out during the night

iamallready

Thanks for your feedback.
Yes, I preferred Tresiba too, that's why I was put on it, and found it so much more stable and lasted the distance. It's not available in NZ, although after continued morning highs after going back onto Lantis I will try splitting doses. If that doesn't work well I may consider importing Tresiba from the UK so I can regain the control I used to have.

iamallready

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Today is the first day of splitting the Lantis - wish me luck! I expect the first few days will be a bit all over the place, but who knows...

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Today is the first day of splitting the Lantis - wish me luck! I expect the first few days will be a bit all over the place, but who knows...

Good luck. I'll be interested to hear how you go. Like you, am not a big lantus fan (have had a couple of lantus lows and sometimes it just doesn't seem to work for me at all, though I suspect that might be injection technique). Oh, the joys of pharmac.

iamallready

Good luck. I'll be interested to hear how you go. Like you, am not a big lantus fan (have had a couple of lantus lows and sometimes it just doesn't seem to work for me at all, though I suspect that might be injection technique). Oh, the joys of pharmac.

Thanks Ellie, I'll report back on progress. I was having highs and lows all over the place with Lantis, and it really just wasn't working for me. Tresiba was such a welcome change - much better control and stability. Thought I was on a winner, only to find its not on the pharmac list here in NZ, so going back to something that doesn't work for me has been frustrating. Hope splitting will be the solution that works...