My GP has said when I reach 40 I will have to take Aspirin

Clairslloyd

I have been to see my GP today after worrying over higher than normal readings - got a 9.5 this morning after nothing to eat or drink since last night (about 9pm). He told me to stop testing completely and sent me for my HbA1c (not been done since dx) and said if it is over 7 I will be put on Metformin. I then asked if I could stop taking the statin and he said deffo no and said I will be put on Aspirin when I am 40. Could anyone please tell me why as my GP is not one I can speak to openly :(

Tracey69

Re: My GP has said when I reach 40 I will have to take Aspir

Hi
I have been a type 1 for 36yrs and i was given aspirin about 5/6 yrs ago but i stop taking them. I think we are given them to make sure our blood and our hearts. Please don't worry about it.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Hi Claire

First of all, I have no medical training whatsoever, so everything I say comes only from personal experience. Don't believe a word of it! :lol:

First - how long after you got up was the 9.5? You could have had a dose of Dawn Phenomenon, when your liver dumps glucose into your system to kick-start you for the day. I think he's wrong to stop you testing - you should test before and two hours after meals, to see if your BGs are coming down to about pre-meal levels in that time. As I'm sure you know already. :)

A low dose of aspirin is supposed to protect from heart problems and blood clots, but I don't see why he'd want you to take that as well as everything else. I see from your profile that you are disabled; does that mean you can't exercise at all? If so, it could be a reason for an anti-clotting drug, even aspirin - but it can do awful things to some people's stomachs, as can all NSAIDs. Having said that, I have never had stomach problems with them, and I do take aspirin very occasionally because I find it is still a very effective painkiller.

I take Metformin and after the initial gastric upsets I've settled quite happily on to it, and don't mind taking it because it is supposed to give some protection against CVD and stroke. This is because I will not take statins. There's lots of discussion on here about the pros and cons of statins, if you do a search. They suit some people.

You didn't say what your cholesterol reading is? Do you get the print-outs of your blood tests? I always ask for, and get, the lot, because I like to be informed. I'm more interested in HDL, LDL, triglyceride levels than I am in total cholesterol.

I notice from your profile that you are on quite a few drugs, and I can understand why you don't want any more. I think in your place I would ask for a full review of your medication - you never know what happens when you add in other drugs, and quite often GPs aren't as well-informed as pharmacists - not their fault. If your GP won't do this to your satisfaction, if you have a friendly pharmacist you could maybe ask to discuss all your meds, plus the new ones the doctor has suggest, with him/her.

Finally - you say you are "low-carb, low-sugar" in your profile. About how much is your total carb intake (including any sugar) each day? You could maybe drop your carbs a little and see if that helps at all.

Sorry this has turned into and essay, but I hope it's been some help. :D

Viv 8)

Helenababe

The asparin that GPs prescribe can have something in them to prevent stomach upset or ulcers. One of my family had these given to him.

Helena

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

I forgot to ask - have you been stressed, or had an infection, or been on antibiotics or steroids? All of those can push your BGs up.

Christmas is very stressful! :wink:

Viv 8)

viv1969

One thing I would like to add is that you do not HAVE to do anything.
If you wish to self-test (and can afford the strips), you can continue to do so.
If you wish to continue trying to control your diabetes using diet and exercise, you can do so.
If you wish to stop taking the statins, you can do so (many many people do).
And if you do NOT wish to take aspirin, you are under no obligation to do so.
Your GP cannot force you to do / take anything you do not wish to.
Please do not be bullied.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

viv1969 said:
One thing I would like to add is that you do not HAVE to do anything.
If you wish to self-test (and can afford the strips), you can continue to do so.
If you wish to continue trying to control your diabetes usung diet and exercise, you can do so.
If you wish to stop taking the statins, you can do so (many many people do).
And if you do NOT wish to take aspirin, you are under no obligation to do so.
Your GP cannot force you to do / take anything you do not wish to.
Please do not be bullied.

Maybe not a good idea for Claire to stop her statins if she has high cholesterol without her gp's consent, going against your doctors advise can have other ramifications..... and I'm not just talking health.......for example insurance cover in the event of claiming for illness or death.

Clairslloyd

Thank you all for your replies which have been very informative. I have not had cholesterol checked recently (last test was 7 but I believe the ldl was very high - memory is terrible) but am going to make another app (double) so that I can discuss my medication. I realise that these are for my own good and should do the job that it states but I am taking so many and trying to reduce my weight (about 4 stone overweight and IBS) with little success. I am unable to take regular or prolonged excercise due to slipped disc in my back and have now found out that the spaced between my lower spine has reduced!!!! Also have bursitis in my left knee.

Sorry to bore you with all this stuff but need someone to help me as I feel like I am in limbo and don't know how to drag my way out (have also spent 3 days at hospital) the 9.5 was after fasting for 12 hours, not intentionally, and was taken at about 9am - got up at 7.30am.

Have always tried to reduce sugar intake but have only just realised that EVERYTHING has sugar in :( Low carb - reduce portion size and less white bread etc has been ongoing but am finding that I am always hungry and not always able to make some of the recipes suggested due to pain and also family commitments :?

I do appreciate all the comments and suggestions (ps should I have seen a dietician by now????) :D

viv1969

noblehead said:
Maybe not a good idea for Claire to stop her statins if she has high cholesterol without her gp's consent, going against your doctors advise can have other ramifications..... and I'm not just talking health.......for example insurance cover in the event of claiming for illness or death.

Sorry...I wasn't suggesting she just up and quit, but only after a little research.
My own Cholesterol levels are well within the range which is considered normal and always have been, however my GP prescribed Simvastatin anyway because it is the norm to do so upon T2 diagnosis. Because of this I chose to refuse the Statins (much to the chagrin of the GP). My Ch. levels have remained stable.
I believe statins are the most over prescribed drug in the this country, and many people take them on the say-so of a Dr who is prescibing it not based on medical evidence and the needs of the individual patient, but on a blanket "it's the done thing" basis.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Yes Viv but as Claire has pointed out her cholesterol is high at 7 and her ldl (bad cholesterol) is 'very high' in her own words. I personally wouldn't advise anyone to stop taking medications on the advice of someone else's experience on a forum such as this, as I said there are many other ramifications and not just health.... for example should an insurance company write for a medical report from their gp in the event of a claim.

Best wishes!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Claire, have a look at Viv's Modified Atkins Diet on the 'Sticky Thread' bit of the Board Index. This diet will definitely help you lose weight, though it may be a bit extreme for you at the moment, as it's less than 30g carb per day.

I suggest you might use this as a basic food list. Get a carb counter book and add in extra carbs from low carb/low GI veg and fruit until you reach whatever daily total you set for yourself - in your place I would try for about 70g per day at the moment. You can always reduce them when the weather gets better (definitely carb weather at the moment!).

Atkins says that you should reduce your fat intake as you increase your carbs. I'm not frightened of natural fats - my cholesterol is at its lowest when I eat this way - but I cannot advise you to eat much fat while your cholesterol levels are high - my beliefs are not the accepted NHS advice.

Get your cholesterol checked again, as a baseline, before you alter your present diet. Make sure you get the full print-out and ask the doctor to explain it to you. If he doesn't help you much, come back on here and ask some more questions!

Also tell your doctor that you want to be pro-active in managing your diabetes and that you think testing helps you. Say you would be more anxious if you didn't test! And ask for strips on prescription. And for some more diabetes education!

Good luck!

Viv 8)

edited for typo