Taking the 2nd AstraZeneca Jab ???

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my second vaccination of AZ today. I have a sore arm and feel tired, but that is all so far. My son had his first vaccination yesterday, with no reaction except a slightly sore arm.

Reactions: Juicyj

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for replying. I have always been for the vaccine but it was the reports of the high risk of blood clots in the young that has made me have doubts. I guess it is a matter of weighing up my individual risks.

Hi @Colette2231,

Another option to consider: Here in Germany, all the young people who were originally vaccinated with AZ, are now offered either Biontech/Pfizer or Moderna for their second vaccination. (I also believe there has been quite some research done on the effectiveness of "cross-vaccinations" -- which seems to be very good.) So, this might be something to talk about with your GP. The drawback, so I have read, is that the reaction such as a sore arm, sore muscles in general, fever, etc might be more pronounced (compared to getting AZ for your second vaccination).

Last edited:

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We used to just stay in bed or stay away from granny when we had the flu or a nasty cold but now we are told that we can pass it on just by breathing in spite of the very weak evidence for asymptomatic transmission (a feature that is apparently unique to this virus and typhoid which transmits via touch).

I do like contrarian points of view, doing own research etc.

But the statement in bold, even with a couple of seconds of reflection you must realise is incorrect? Herpes, HIV, Hepatitis... they're just the H's I can think of that can be transmitted aymptomatically. Numerous infectious diseases feature asymptomatic or presymptomatic transmission, including C-19. Oh, and including Influenza, so eg develop flu symptoms on a Monday after sunday dinner with granny, well you actually likely became infected on the thursday before and so were presymptomatically transmitting at the sunday dinner.

Asymptomatic and presymptomatic onwards transmission are key features of what we can begrudgingly say makes viruses and other infections so fiendishly brilliant at their job.

Reactions: Diane fluteplayer

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

A gentle reminder that this thread is about experiences and thoughts in taking the second Astra Zeneca vaccination. There have been a few diversions onto other Covid related issues, but these should take place in a different thread in an appropriate sub-forum.

Any further derailing posts will be deleted.

Thanks.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
It feels as though there's a lot of pressure on the young to get the vaccine and this makes me uncomfortable. When I am offered the flu jab each year I haven't yet made that decision on the basis that I might pass it on to someone yet I might potentially do so and the resulting illness might kill them given the hit and miss nature of the flu jabs! We used to just stay in bed or stay away from granny when we had the flu or a nasty cold but now we are told that we can pass it on just by breathing in spite of the very weak evidence for asymptomatic transmission (a feature that is apparently unique to this virus and typhoid which transmits via touch).
Yet here we are in 2021 and people keep asking if I've had my jabs yet (it is none of their business) which can be either a conversational gambit given nobody's going on a foreign holiday so we can't chat about that or could genuinely change the nature of our interaction. I hope it is just the former but the question is starting to bug me!
We are hyper focussed on covid/long covid etc yet I haven't seen evidence that young people are disproportionately affected by it in comparison to any other viral illness some of which can take a long time to recover from and/or cause post viral syndrome. As I understand it the general rate for post viral syndrome is 1% of those who have a virus.
I mention the passports because I know it is a factor that some young people are anticipating and in my own notes on my GP app it clearly states my status where it didn't previously!
I don't have time to relink to all the data but my understanding is that data to support aerosol transmission as the MAIN vector even in asymptomatic individuals for covid infection as opposed to surface contamination is now rather strong and is clearly driving the latest England guidelines re indoor versus outdoor gatherings.

I sympathise that one's vaccination status is becoming the boring standard conversational gambit even in advance of the current dreadful weather...but it is very top of mind for so many of us. That said and maybe this shows my age, but the need for many various vaccinations since infanthood has never caused me any concern ( my latest adult ones included rabies and Japanese encephalitis due to where I was living) - I've always been much more scared of the underlying diseases.

My first need for a 'vaccine passport' was age 4 for smallpox - then mandatory to board a transatlantic flight. Anyone who has traveled to Africa or Latin America in the last 10+ years will have had Yellow fever vaccinations recorded, why should future requirements to submit covid vaccine records be any more intrusive?

Actually I am very happy my full vaccination status is so easy to retrieve on my NHS App ... just lacking anywhere interesting to visit to use it for at least 2-3 more months!

Edited to add my second AZ jab resulted in a slightly sore injection site for a couple of days, nothing more.

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had my 2nd Astra Zeneca vaccin last week. Thankfully no side effects for both times. The nurse confirmed that for Astra Zeneca the 2nd vaccination usually has less side effects. If you had the 1st vaccin, you should go for the 2nd jab as well. If you have worries and questions, please talk to the nurse, they are very friendly and helpful.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
2nd vacc. yesterday. So far a slightly sore and warm arm. Is it me, or did the nurse ask an awful lot more questions this time around. I remember the 1st as being 30 seconds of questions, 30 seconds of jab and out.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2nd vacc. yesterday. So far a slightly sore and warm arm. Is it me, or did the nurse ask an awful lot more questions this time around. I remember the 1st as being 30 seconds of questions, 30 seconds of jab and out.

Hi,

I had my second jab last Thursday afternoon. Yep it took longer than the first.
Mainly due to having to sit iwith a consultant prior, given the odds on a blood clot happening. Then told what to look out for if one does & call the NHS..

That night. I awoke feeling rough. Strangely, everywhere ached, bar the arm where my sensor was placed? I could even feel where the last sensor was 7 days prior? (The same arm that was jabbed.)
Oddly, injecting was painful. (I don't normally have an issue.)
Lol, I had a job lined up for friday. I was up & atem at 5am with a banging head too. Just couldn't sleep?
Brushing my teeth, I couldn't taste the paste...
Got a call telling me the job was cancelled. Just as well. I felt no use to anyone. Told my gaffer the situation had done me a favour. He was great & suggested I take the day out. (He'd let me out early for the jab the previous day.)
Edit to add; BGs hadn't been too bad..

Today. I feel great.

Reactions: Juicyj

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had both my jabs at my local GP practice. I also was asked a lot more questions with my second A-Z jab and ticked them off the boxes on her computer screen. The first was with a nurse from my practice on a conveyor belt. In and out in a few minutes. The second was with a GP from my practice. She used the whole 10 minute allocation, and went over the blood clot issue, advising me of symptoms to watch out for and what to do. She also explained the effectiveness of the vaccine, and that in a couple of weeks I would be 85% "safe", the remaining 15% may catch the virus but are likely to have only mild to moderate symptoms.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Had my 2nd vaccination yesterday was as unexciting as the first , not waiting for any side affects if I get any will deal with them when they happen , I’ll no hold my breath

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
First AZ jab with practice nurse at local vaccination centre, in and out in 2 minutes flat, with no questions asked apart from name, date of birth and appointment time. Second one was a dr from our practice (found that out later from online records as had never seen her before), and equally quick, no questions or comments re blood clots, effectiveness of vaccine etc.

Reactions: oldgreymare

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Had my 2nd jab today

No side effects from the first.. but only 9 hours after my 2nd I’m feeling rough… headache.. and feeling like I want to vomit..

However if it remains like this and doesn’t get to much worse then I’d rather have these side effects than COVID

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All, unfortunately the number of posts only tangentially relevant to the thread had started to outnumber those of direct relevance, so all derailing posts have now been deleted.

Please keep the OP in mind when responding to the thread.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I have had the 2 AZ jabs with no effects second time round.
I have a firm belief in everyone being vaccinated and would have a third if I was told to!

Good luck

Tony

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Spoke too soon. On day three since the second jab I now have a scarlet, swollen and hot arm, I ache all over, splitting headache and running a temperature. Double checked with the GP, and it's a treat with paracetamol, come back if anything gets worse.
Still would have had the jab. With all of my medical conditions covid would be worse.