Minimum carb intake?

catalpa55

I'm trying to cut back my carb intake in an effort to improve my BG control (Type 1). I've found in the past that this really helps. However, the advice from my hospital clinic is based that given by the Institute of Medicine, which apparently recommends at least 130g per day, based on the 'average amount of glucose utilised by the brain'. I'm trying to have 30g for breakfast and 20g for each of lunch and dinner, plus milk in tea and coffee, so obviously that doesn't quite fit those recommendations!!

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. What is the minimum amount of carbohydrate we should have daily in order to be healthy? I need to protect what's left of my brain after several decades of diabetes!

Many thanks for any help.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I have raised this question with DUK state "glucose from carbohydrate is essential fuel for the body, especially the brain" in their Eating well with Diabetes T1 booklet

They promised to send me the references .....

I'm 72, & T2 with HBA around 6. I've been diabetic over 10 years, & low carb for 4 years. I went low carb because of muscle pain, early retina damage & chronic tiredness - & all conditions were reversed. I was in trouble with HBA=6.7. I would be foolish to eat the amount of carb recommended by DUK for both T1 & T2.
For people with Type 1 diabetes (same for T2)

The actual amount of carbohydrate that the body needs varies depending on your age, weight and activity levels, but it should make up about half of what you eat and drink over the course of a week.
I've seen the same dietitian for 10 years, & she gave me the standard advice. Partly through my experience she now has modified it, but still speaks of a minimum of 130 g carb daily. I've been invited onto the T2 X-PERT course she runs to share my experience with newly diagnosed.

I googled "glucose utilised by the brain" & found this which looks comprehensive however it does not actually consider blood glucose measurements in relation to brain activity. Comparing a carb breakfast with a water b'fast is obviously unfair.

They also consider the effect of sugars (as distinct from slow acting carbs) & find these have a rapid action the demands & triggers insulin, with a resultant removal of blood glucose & a demand for more sugar.

I maintain a minimum level of BG of around 5 (it never falls below - during the day it rises to 7, & up to 9 after 1 1/2 hours tennis, even though I only drink water while playing - my body generates extra glucose). 5 is level of a healthy non-diabetic so should be OK for my brain function. As a T1, hypos are a danger for you, but you may find you have adequate control at present. If that is so, I think it would be unwise to increase carbs to achieve a "glucose from carb" target.

Hope that helps.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Incidentally I did have a cognitive test as part of a long term health study. (see SABRE)

Apparently I did better than average, even though I only had water for b'fast & they didn't give me my early-morning tea till 11:45 :( .

catalpa55

Many thanks for that information. It's very interesting!

I really can't understand why my planned carb intake should be a huge problem and it's frustrating that there is so little to go on here in terms of scientific studies etc. Anyway, my hunch is that BGs that have a habit of jumping around from the high teens to hypo are likely to be far more harmful to me long term than restricting my carb to around 80g per day, so that's what I will do. As soon as I restrict my carb intake I find my BG stabilises.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else knows of any research papers on brain requirements for particular amounts of carbohydrate daily though??

Thanks again

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
catalpa55 said:
I'd be interested to know if anyone else knows of any research papers on brain requirements for particular amounts of carbohydrate daily though??

No idea where the 130g figure comes from but it is the figure most Consultants quote going by past discussion on this subject on the forum.........hopefully someone may enlighten us! :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
First thing - I'm Type 2, so can't speak for Type 1.

As far as I know (and I'm afraid I have no refs) the body processes about 20% of the protein we eat into glucose, though more slowly than carbs, and that is adequate for our brains.

I try to eat less than 50g of carb per day, and my brain still works, though that of course is purely anecdotal! :lol:

Traditional Eskimo and Masai diets include very little carb, and their brains still work.

Finally - get hold of a copy of Dr Richard Bernstein's book Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, or Google for his web site. I think it's diabetesbook, but his name should take you there. He's now in his seventies, has been Type 1 since childhood, retrained as a doctor in his 40s, and turned himself round to much better health by going low-carb - very low-carb.

Viv 8)

Fallenstar

Hi Cat
Great you have found a way to really improve your control. I am Type 1 and low carb and because I train and run a lot I really do just adjust as I go along depending on how long my training sessions /runs are. I tend to use my performance, muscle mass to fat ratio's as a gauge, BUT the most important thing is how YOU FEEL :D With any lifestyle or diet . It really does not matter what this or that study says.
Experiment a bit with it, see what gives you the most energy,vitality and makes you look and feel good. If you aren't doing things right diet wise it soon shows in the skin and the hair/nails ect and mostly energy levels.

80 grams sounds good to me...give it a few weeks and see what happens...good luck :D And don't forget the rainbow on your plate!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Fallenstar said:
80 grams sounds good to me...give it a few weeks and see what happens...good luck :D And don't forget the rainbow on your plate!

Here is a link which will inspire you to eat the rainbow:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5651

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They promised to send me the references .....

No idea where the 130g figure comes from but it is the figure most Consultants quote going by past discussion on this subject on the forum.........hopefully someone may enlighten us
From the US Dietary reference intakes. This document explains, complete with references how they came up with the RDA of 130g for adults.
http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_ ... 0&page=285
P275-281 and 285-290
Not easy reading but you did ask

pianoman

In this "Letter to the Editor" of The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Dr Eric C Westman also discusses the rationale for the current guidelines, as he poses the question Is dietary carbohydrate essential for human nutrition? http://www.ajcn.org/content/75/5/951.2.full

Please note that (as mentioned above) the body is able to manufacture glucose from amino acids (protein building blocks). This means that: while there may be a minimal daily requirement for glucose by some tissues -- such as the brain and CNS -- it does not necessarily follow that the glucose has to come by way of dietary carbohydrates.

PLEASE NOTE that I am not advocating a zero-carbohydrate diet... carbohydrates in green leafy vegetables and wild berries (as examples) come wrapped in plenty of other useful nutritional content. Not to mention that they taste good, and I prefer to eat "real whole food" rather than "carbohydrates, fat and protein."

Grazer

When you say 130 grams of carbs are needed for the brain, is that for men or women? As men have larger brains than women, presumably we need more carbs?

STANDS BACK AND WAITS FOR EXPLOSION!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

pianoman

LOL Grazer :D As the saying goes "it's not the size but what you do with it"... although in that case they may be referring to another organ which (speaking as a man myself) is often considered the root of male thinking anyway :wink:

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Grazer said:
When you say 130 grams of carbs are needed for the brain, is that for men or women? As men have larger brains than women, presumably we need more carbs?

STANDS BACK AND WAITS FOR EXPLOSION!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Ewe are pushing your luck with that one Sheepie...
mazza.gif