Recent HBA1c

DaPa

Hi people,

3 weeks ago I had an HBA1c of 48.

My previous reading was in July '20 with an HBA1c 0f 41.

I have been on a low carb diet to try to reduce it, I have purchased a Kinetic Glucose System so I will be keeping a close eye on it.

Since I have started my low carb I have lost 7lb, hopefully I'm going in the right direction.

Regards
DaPa

Last edited:
Reactions: KennyA

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi people,

3 weeks ago I had an HBA1c of 48.

My previous reading was in July '20 with an HBA1c 0f 41.

I have been on a low card diet to try to reduce it, I have purchased a Kinetic Glucose System so I will be keeping a close eye on it.

Since I have started my low carb I have lost 7lb, hopefully I'm going in the right direction.

Regards
DAPa
Hi, welcome to the forum. Have you started low carb since you had the 48 reading? Best of luck.

DaPa

Hi, welcome to the forum. Have you started low carb since you had the 48 reading? Best of luck.

Yes, cut out all bread, potatoes, biscuits, chocolate, cakes, pastries.

I am still having my jumbo oats for breakfast with strawberries and blueberries and semi skimmed milk.

EDIT:

Just checked BG 2 hrs after haddock with broccoli and mixed veg for lunch and the reading was 5.3

Seems to be going in the right direction.

Reactions: jjraak

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I am still having my jumbo oats for breakfast with strawberries and blueberries and semi skimmed milk.

EDIT:

Just checked BG 2 hrs after haddock with broccoli and mixed veg for lunch and the reading was 5.3

If you can handle oats!! Doesn't work for me, and I was rather fond of porridge.

Reactions: DaPa

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

EDIT:

Sone of us seem to handle oats okay but it’s definitely worth checking your blood levels before eating and 2 hours after first bite is the advice. Ideal is a max rise of 2

if you are one of the lucky ones then that’s good and congratulations on your weight loss and other improvements

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

It's great that you are heading in the right direction. It is also great that you are testing your levels

The real test for any food is what your meter shows you is the effect. Many people find that their bodies can either tolerate some carbs better than others or react in a disproportionately bad way to others. We are all so variable. So the approach some people take is to test for new foods to see how they react. My suggestion is to test a few times to see if the result is consistent.

Another factor can be the time of day. You may find you can tolerate more carbs later in the day for example.

Good luck and welcome

Reactions: jjraak

DaPa

Morning.

I had a fasting result of 4.6 @ 6.50 am

Results after eating Jumbo Oats with Blueberries, strawberries, semi-skimmed, and a sprinkle of mixed seeds, a cup of tea with a splash of semi-skimmed was 6.1.

Peoples thoughts on the results?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning.

I had a fasting result of 4.6 @ 6.50 am

Results after eating Jumbo Oats with Blueberries, strawberries, semi-skimmed, and a sprinkle of mixed seeds, a cup of tea with a splash of semi-skimmed was 6.1.

Peoples thoughts on the results?
Try tomorrow with bacon and eggs instead of the oats and see what happens?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will consider it, although 6.1 - 4.6 = 1.5 which is below the '2' marker.

I thought it was a goodish result, then again I am new to this.

Its not "bad" per se..

However with your HbA1c going in the wrong direction and on the cusp of fully blown T2 diabetes I'd be careful.

I wonder what the reading would have been after 1 hour?

To give some perspective if my bloods had done that the food I had just eaten would be off the list immediately.

May I also ask why semi-skimmed milk?

DaPa

Its not "bad" per se..

However with your HbA1c going in the wrong direction and on the cusp of fully blown T2 diabetes I'd be careful.

I wonder what the reading would have been after 1 hour?

To give some perspective if my bloods had done that the food I had just eaten would be off the list immediately.

May I also ask why semi-skimmed milk?

It's what I have always used, any other suggestions on what to use?

What would you expect to see after 1 hour, greater or less of a reading and why was you wondering?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's what I have always used, any other suggestions on what to use?

What would you expect to see after 1 hour, greater or less of a reading and why was you wondering?

Milk - full fat or cream for higher satiety

I'd expect that your post oat spike would be higher than 6.1 after 1 hour and that you have caught the descent after 2 hours.