Paranoia and fear in low carb community

Sad21+

Hello all I hope all is well. This question isn't aimed at people here. Since being diagnosed with prediabetes and my mum diabtetes we have cut so much food and drink. And trying to make changes.

I started following low carb YouTubers particularly paleo,keto and carnivore. Before I go on I'm neither of them and my mum. We are low carb under 100g sometimes even Way lower. But we aim for 100g of carbs.

Anyway sorry to rumble on. But I've noticed something these YouTube doctors,nutritionists have something in common. Their videos for me promote ALOT of fear and confusion. Everything is bad. And of you are not just eating just meat and avocado you are not doing it right.

This week alone I've been told nuts, most non starchy veg,legumes,seeds,coffee, soya peanut butter, chicken and nut milks and almond flour are bad. And that's just the low carb food. I'm seeing alot of anti veganism and vegetarian. The information is constantly changing and I'm overwhelmed.

I'm even more paranoid then before. And I just wish me and mum don't have to eat food. I'm anxious and constantly ashamed. Everytime I think I'm doing good I read or watch something that makes me feel guilty or anxious. I'm honestly afraid and my mum seems anxious because of me.

Everything seems to be bad. It's got to the point I'm letting food go bad because I'm paranoid.
So omg sorry for the length. How do you all cope ? And what should I do now. I do wonder sometimes what the long term risks is with demonising certan food. Just like meat and fat was heavily criticised and now we have these chronic illnesses. Are we gonna create new illnesses in the future?

I'm just so tired.

If anyone of you are this then wow thank you.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The simple rules are that you can eat any meat, fish or seafood, cheese, eggs, full fat yoghurt, cream, high cocoa chocolate, and fruit and vegetables which are low carb, I choose from carrots swede onion sweet peppers turnip leek spaghetti squash bamboo shoots celeriac cabbage red or green or white, green or french beans aubergine tomato kale sprouts radish rocket cauliflower cucumber lettuce bean sprouts courgette asparagus okra artichole celery chard avocado bok choy curly endive mushrooms beetroot strawberries, blackberries, raspberries blueberries, loganberries if you can find them, walnuts brazil nuts almonds, hazelnuts, and you could test if you can eat other beans and peas, as I can only cope with small servings but many find that they do not cause spikes.
You can also concoct various low carb desserts - bars and cakes, even low carb bread, there are cheese waffles and 'Fat Head' pizzas, and the dough can be used to make a lot of savoury things. Real custard made with eggs and cream is good as it is, or it can be churned into icecream, or included in a trifle.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh - almost forgot.
I drink various flavoured teas, liquorice and mint, various berry flavoured ones - but check that they are low carb, and I have coffee with cream.
I have various flavoured fizzy drinks which have almost no carbs, but watch out for 'no added sugar' as they can still be high carb from the ingredients containing sugar.

Sad21+

You are so lovely and kind. You always respond to me and help me. Honestly this forum has saved me. I was so depressed and suicidal. I cannot explain how everyone on here has given me the push to go on . Thank you for both your comments and advice I'm definitely doing to write all this down . It's just so overwhelming sometimes I feel guilty eating foods that people say I shouldn't. But I need to test that's all. I appreciate this. Thank you. I hope you are well ?
Oh - almost forgot.
I drink various flavoured teas, liquorice and mint, various berry flavoured ones - but check that they are low carb, and I have coffee with cream.
I have various flavoured fizzy drinks which have almost no carbs, but watch out for 'no added sugar' as they can still be high carb from the ingredients containing sugar.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Hello all I hope all is well. This question isn't aimed at people here. Since being diagnosed with prediabetes and my mum diabtetes we have cut so much food and drink. And trying to make changes.

I started following low carb YouTubers particularly paleo,keto and carnivore. Before I go on I'm neither of them and my mum. We are low carb under 100g sometimes even Way lower. But we aim for 100g of carbs.

Anyway sorry to rumble on. But I've noticed something these YouTube doctors,nutritionists have something in common. Their videos for me promote ALOT of fear and confusion. Everything is bad. And of you are not just eating just meat and avocado you are not doing it right.

This week alone I've been told nuts, most non starchy veg,legumes,seeds,coffee, soya peanut butter, chicken and nut milks and almond flour are bad. And that's just the low carb food. I'm seeing alot of anti veganism and vegetarian. The information is constantly changing and I'm overwhelmed.

I'm even more paranoid then before. And I just wish me and mum don't have to eat food. I'm anxious and constantly ashamed. Everytime I think I'm doing good I read or watch something that makes me feel guilty or anxious. I'm honestly afraid and my mum seems anxious because of me.

Everything seems to be bad. It's got to the point I'm letting food go bad because I'm paranoid.
So omg sorry for the length. How do you all cope ? And what should I do now. I do wonder sometimes what the long term risks is with demonising certan food. Just like meat and fat was heavily criticised and now we have these chronic illnesses. Are we gonna create new illnesses in the future?

I'm just so tired.

Eat what you want, just test the meals and remove or reduce the ones that cause a spike. Unfortunately, you may have to cut some of your favorites. Over time you will have a meal plan designed specifically for you. Everyone is slightly different, cherry pick the advice you think fits for you, then test the results

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Sad21+

I am sorry that you and your mother feel so stressed and anxious and feeling ashamed.

First of all- there is nothing to feel ashamed about- absolutely nothing. We are all doing the best we can with the information we have and our capacity. One thing that helped me was learning about spoon theory. It made me a lot more forgiving of myself.

Secondly- yes it does seem sometimes to feel that reducing your carbs and working them all out is hard. I certainly felt overwhelmed at the beginning. My suggestion is take the advice that is helpful first.

If you are going lower carb- which I personally recommend- start by having a few 'go to' meals or snacks. That is think about a few things that you can eat a few times a week knowing the carb levels. For example one of mine ideas is to steam a lot of broccoli and cauliflower and mash them together- maybe add some cheese or some spring onions or something. That combination is low carb. We then dole it into seperate containers and freeze. This means we have this available. Other things you can do is to boil a few eggs and then store them in the fridge for ago to snack. You can workout a preferred omelette or something like that that you can make quickly. Lots more ideas if you need some. Just ask and I think you will find many hear happy to give ideas. Another thing I do is diet jelly- it hits my sweet spot and is actually quite filling- feel free to add cream.

so having some go to reliable meals helps. This is not necessarily forever but for when life is tough. Over time you will build up more.

Don't take on board other people's judgement. For example I have gone very low carb because that works for ME. It doesn't have to be your choice. I may change later if it stops working for me. My daughter is vegan for ethical reasons if/when she develops diabetes she is likely to make different choices than I have- and that is okay and I will absolutely support her in her choices.

Not everyone can or wants to go low carb. We all just make the best decisions we can. The decisions you need to make should be ones that don't make you ashamed and anxious. Please let us know how we can help- please.

Take care.

Reactions: Sad21+

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to add- I eat peanut butter too- sometimes mixed with cream.:)

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;

I'm just so tired.
LOL In the end we all have to die from something, but only your thanatologist knows for sure.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm just so tired.

One of the first low carb books I read (a US publication) just about shouted on every page that I'd better do as they said, or I was going to die in absolutely horrible ways. Other books were more soothing with a "you can do this!" attitude, and some conflicting advice. And that was before I even hit YouTube.

Lots of people online have something to sell. Scaretactics are part of achieving this, it seems. So what do you do? Trust your meter. It'll tell you whether something's hogwash or no. And it's not trying to sell you on some dogma, it'll just let you know what is working specifically for you. I can't eat pulses. Maybe you can. There are no absolutes because to quote Python: "We're all individuals!". So go from there. You're both going to be okay.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be fair you’ll get fanatics in any way of life, especially if they have something to sell. You will find “anti” veganism in some keto and carnivore groups because that way of eating is typically high carb and because dairy and meat are such large part of many keto plans and essential to carnivore. I say anti but depending on where and how’s it’s presented it can simply be pro animal produce because of it nutritional benefits to a type 2 on low carb rather than anti anything other than foods which damage us.
Suffering with mental health, depression and anxiety is tough. And can lead us to make less than ideal choices, see things in a distorted way and become a vicious downward circle. Your shame is part of that distorted thinking I believe. You have done nothing wrong. You are learning to make choices differently now you have new information. That is admirable not shameful.

Practically it may help to not confuse yourself with numerous sometimes conflicting sources. Unfortunately there are some very dictatorial ones out there. Stick to just a couple of factual and supportive ones. I believe the best website to start on is dietdoctor.com. There are recipes, food lists and visual guides and explanations of what and why foods are better or worse for type 2 and low carb. No need to pay for subscription loads is there for free. Then if you do Facebook there’s a group called Low carb in the U.K. by Nikola Howard. Many there do it for weight loss not just diabetes but it’s non judgemental and doesnt have hard, harsh and ridiculous rules and importantly doesn’t mix up USA info with U.K. info (another potential source of confusion)

do you have a meter? That will tell you what’s better, or not, for you. It will take a while but you’ll build up a set of safe meals for you both that you don’t need to worry about. It won’t happen overnight but that’s ok, it will happen

Reactions: EllieM and Sad21+

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most of the information on these web sites have something to sell or some other agenda where as sites such as this one have people posting who are dealing with diabetes and trying to help others .There are lots of recipes and support It has been invaluable to me and many others Hang in there !!!
Carol

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Unfortunately at least in developed western countries, diet and exercise have become the new religions and the debates are easily as controversial and polemic as is anything related to religious opinions! Tragically it now also appears that dietary guidelines for the past 50 years may be skewed if not completely wrong...possibly with lots of different food industry lobbies involved, so you are definitely not alone in feeling confused about who/what to believe.

As others have said above, however there are no black and white answers and no one size fits all. It is a matter of adopting an approach that works for you and your mother - ideally this needs to be one that allows you to control your BGs most of the time, but importantly also you are both comfortable doing over the longer term without too much stress.

If you haven't found it already check out dietdoctor.com A Subscription site but loads of recipes, info for free. It is unashamedly low carb, but is constantly adding new menu ideas to cope with all eating styles (except junk food!), including vegetarian, vegan, budget, keto, etc.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a T2D of some 30+ years now, and I used to have my sugar levels bouncing off the ceiling, and I was maxed out on my orals with an HbA1c of 108. I went Low Carb, and aimed for Keto which I achieved for a while, but I like you found it to be restrictive and regimented, so I backed off a bit. I am now eating about 100 to 150 gms a day, so not keto, and I use a small dose of orals as part of my control regime. My HbA1c last week was 42, which is a slight increase from last year (40)

As others have said, you could start with a few staple meals that you have already tested for, then experiment with new ideas. You will need to use a meter to test before and afters, but if you keep a food diary, then you can add to it as you go, eventually it will become second nature, and making the shopping list becomes a doddle in time.

For instance, my breakfast is a fry up with bacon, egg, mushroom, some salad things, and a cheese slice on buttered toast. It is a full plate meal and I repeat it every day. I have tested it many times, and I know it is safe for me, and I know exactly what to buy each week to cover it. If my daughter does my shopping, I just say the usual and she knows what to get.

Reactions: EllieM and Sad21+

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My suggestion is take the advice that is helpful first.

If you are going lower carb- which I personally recommend- start by having a few 'go to' meals or snacks.

one of mine ideas is to steam a lot of broccoli and cauliflower and mash them together-
maybe add some cheese or some spring onions or something
. That combination is low carb.

We then dole it into seperate containers and freeze. This means we have this available.

Other things you can do is to boil a few eggs and then store them in the fridge for ago to snack.

You can workout

Another thing I do is diet jelly- it hits my sweet spot and is actually quite filling- feel free to add cream.

so having some go to reliable meals helps. This is not necessarily forever but for when life is tough.

Not everyone can or wants to go low carb. We all just make the best decisions we can.

The decisions you need to make should be ones that don't make you ashamed and anxious. Please let us know how we can help- please.

Take care.

Bang ON, @VashtiB

you been looking through my kitchen windows..:wideyed:

great advice.

So sorry to see you so distressed by the food, @Sad21+

it is as said a big step, so be kind to yourselves.

i tried hard and failed many times, but i eventually got there.

I know, as @VashtiB describes, the meals i can have that are low carb, the snacks i CAN have waiting for those snacky moments

it's always hardest at first i imagine, well it was for me.

It is i think a whole change of expectation.

it used to be about the joy of flavours and tasting.
so i'd eat anything.

now i'm more picky, it's still a joy and it's flavoursome, but it's also
the food to power me through to the next fuel stop

now i am not so amazed at how a small handful of nuts can keep me fuller for longer then expected.

Or the way some veg can just MAKE a meal, when added to meat, it just works for me now..

for all the experts etc, the ONLY thing that made me eat this way was the meter.

Personal recommendations on here did kindly guide me, but it was the real time proof of the meter that convinced me to eat more of it each day until i was a low Carber.

I doubt i have been really hungry anywhere near as much as i was pre DX
2 meals a day now suffices and then sometimes that first meal is really just a snack.

Remember it's a marathon not a sprint.

we took years to get sick, so take the time to adjust, and heal.

take the moment to discover foods you can enjoy that don't spike you.

it's hard at first adjusting, but so worth it.

Best wishes to you & Mum.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Be warned - I took up with some morris dancers after diagnosis and in normal times would be gallivanting off all around the county several times a week - Maypoles are often involved.

Sad21+

Eat what you want, just test the meals and remove or reduce the ones that cause a spike. Unfortunately, you may have to cut some of your favorites. Over time you will have a meal plan designed specifically for you. Everyone is slightly different, cherry pick the advice you think fits for you, then test the results
Thank you very much. I needed this boost. Loosing confidence in myself
Thank you.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Sad21+

Hello @Sad21+

I am sorry that you and your mother feel so stressed and anxious and feeling ashamed.

First of all- there is nothing to feel ashamed about- absolutely nothing. We are all doing the best we can with the information we have and our capacity. One thing that helped me was learning about spoon theory. It made me a lot more forgiving of myself.

Secondly- yes it does seem sometimes to feel that reducing your carbs and working them all out is hard. I certainly felt overwhelmed at the beginning. My suggestion is take the advice that is helpful first.

If you are going lower carb- which I personally recommend- start by having a few 'go to' meals or snacks. That is think about a few things that you can eat a few times a week knowing the carb levels. For example one of mine ideas is to steam a lot of broccoli and cauliflower and mash them together- maybe add some cheese or some spring onions or something. That combination is low carb. We then dole it into seperate containers and freeze. This means we have this available. Other things you can do is to boil a few eggs and then store them in the fridge for ago to snack. You can workout a preferred omelette or something like that that you can make quickly. Lots more ideas if you need some. Just ask and I think you will find many hear happy to give ideas. Another thing I do is diet jelly- it hits my sweet spot and is actually quite filling- feel free to add cream.

so having some go to reliable meals helps. This is not necessarily forever but for when life is tough. Over time you will build up more.

Don't take on board other people's judgement. For example I have gone very low carb because that works for ME. It doesn't have to be your choice. I may change later if it stops working for me. My daughter is vegan for ethical reasons if/when she develops diabetes she is likely to make different choices than I have- and that is okay and I will absolutely support her in her choices.

Not everyone can or wants to go low carb. We all just make the best decisions we can. The decisions you need to make should be ones that don't make you ashamed and anxious. Please let us know how we can help- please.

Take care.
Thank you so much. This has been very helpful. I write you advice and going to try this. Honestly you are so amazing. Thank you so much. I have a little hope now .

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it helps a lot when you can get information from people who have direct personal experience rather than those who just have an opinion on the matter.
I have been lambasted for not eating e vegan diet, yet not one person will actually give any advice on managing diabetes eating the diet they advise. I draw my own conclusions.