"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Had some fruit and yoghurt to deal with hunger. BG shot up (well - fruit) but this is how it has been recently - BG rises towards evening and it did the same this evening so I took another small dose of insulin and some more yoghurt. Got it back down to 9.5 so I'll be content with that for tonight.

For some reason I can barely move again this afternoon. Neil got a new part for the dishwasher and that led to the door being stripped down. It was quite dusty inside so I went to get the Henry to clean it out and was almost crying with the pain! Don't know why it's so bad today.

Spoke to a GP this afternoon because the e-consult service recommended that I should be given an appointment because I sent in a query about using skin tag treatment. The GP agreed and says she'll get their receptionist to phone me some time next week to arrange an appointment - there are none left for this week apparently. Not that I'm in any hurry - the skin tags are just a nuisance, not requiring any kind of urgent attention.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The receptionist phoned and I have an appointment to see the GP next Tuesday.
BG is showing a distinct pattern since using the Libre. Not sure what it means, but I'll keep trying to work with it.
The pattern is:
  • high first thing
  • half normal dose of bolus
  • basal dose
  • BG drops to reasonable level
  • bolus dose
  • breakfast (no carb)
  • BG stable
This is where it starts to go wrong
  • After another couple of hours BG starts to rise again
  • bolus dose
  • 2nd meal
  • BG stays high
  • bed
  • early hours BG still high
  • around 6 am BG high
  • back to the beginning
Just half an hour ago, BG dropped to 4.3 so I had to have a boiled sweet. It's now up to 5.3.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I should have known better than to think I had it half way sorted!

About 2 yesterday afternoon BG started to drop and despite taking action to halt the drop, the BG just wouldn't get up above 4.5 until I finally found a chocolate bar in the cupboard and ate the whole thing. That put it up to 8.5 at 5.20 and it kept going up for another hour to 9.5. Then at 8 pm I had my 2nd meal - braised cabbage and carrot with a pork loin steak. And the BG dropped again. By 9 pm the Libre was warning me of a drop below 4.5 (I'm going to change the alarm level). Had a mint imperial and it stayed at 4.4. Gave up and went to bed but the alarm woke me up again at 1.30 am so I had another mint imperial and BG went up to 6.2 by 3.25 am.

But by 7 am BG was 11.2 (30 units Humalog) and 12.2 by 8.30. Took my basal dose and then at 9.15, my bolus dose before scrambled egg and refried cabbage and carrot, with some extra spring onion.

AT 10.30 BG was OK at 7.5. Today I am very thirsty though and have had quite a few cups of tea already.

So the pattern I thought I was beginning to identify is just as wrong as all the other theories I've had. Things always just seem to work for me for a day or so, and then I go back to the usual choatic BG regime.

I am planning another meal today - of a veggie stew but low on carbs. Staying away from meat just now - the only meat I've had available in the last few days has been pork in one form or another and I don't feel like having any more just now but I had egg this morning and I don't feel that I can stomach cheese either. So, just veggies.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I should have known better than to think I had it half way sorted!

About 2 yesterday afternoon BG started to drop and despite taking action to halt the drop, the BG just wouldn't get up above 4.5 until I finally found a chocolate bar in the cupboard and ate the whole thing. That put it up to 8.5 at 5.20 and it kept going up for another hour to 9.5. Then at 8 pm I had my 2nd meal - braised cabbage and carrot with a pork loin steak. And the BG dropped again. By 9 pm the Libre was warning me of a drop below 4.5 (I'm going to change the alarm level). Had a mint imperial and it stayed at 4.4. Gave up and went to bed but the alarm woke me up again at 1.30 am so I had another mint imperial and BG went up to 6.2 by 3.25 am.

But by 7 am BG was 11.2 (30 units Humalog) and 12.2 by 8.30. Took my basal dose and then at 9.15, my bolus dose before scrambled egg and refried cabbage and carrot, with some extra spring onion.

AT 10.30 BG was OK at 7.5. Today I am very thirsty though and have had quite a few cups of tea already.

So the pattern I thought I was beginning to identify is just as wrong as all the other theories I've had. Things always just seem to work for me for a day or so, and then I go back to the usual choatic BG regime.

I am planning another meal today - of a veggie stew but low on carbs. Staying away from meat just now - the only meat I've had available in the last few days has been pork in one form or another and I don't feel like having any more just now but I had egg this morning and I don't feel that I can stomach cheese either. So, just veggies.
@Annb - have you tried any of the threads on the site for insulin users? I know there are more than a few knowledgeable insulin users on here that maybe would have some insight?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb - have you tried any of the threads on the site for insulin users? I know there are more than a few knowledgeable insulin users on here that maybe would have some insight?

Yes, thanks. I eventually started a new thread myself on the insulin and T2 part of the forum. It's been very helpful and I have hopes that things might be coming good at last.

Reactions: Goonergal

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Neil took me to my appointment with the GP - I only wanted advice about using "Cryotag" on skin tags because I have all the conditions the box listed as being contraindicated. But they decided a doctor should see me. He checked and decided it would be OK so went ahead and froze the 2 most troublesome ones. I also asked him about a long standing red spot on my ankle - it's been looking a bit dodgy since the episode with zeroderm and I wondered if it might be developing into an ulcer. He wasn't sure but said I should see a nurse about treating it. By the time we got home, there was a message from the practice with an appointment to see a nurse tomorrow! So, it's another trip to town tomorrow and Neil will have to take me again.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday I had my appointment with the nurse. Not an ulcer yet, but it needs watching. She wants me to go in next Monday for a Doppler test to see if they can find these elusive pulses and measure me for more compression hose to try to stop all the blisters on my legs from bursting. We'll see how that goes.

I asked Neil to take me into town again because I'm beginning to be quite unsure about my eyes and I'm just as glad that I did because by the time I came out of the medical centre (long corridor) I was completely shattered and wouldn't have been able to drive. Legs still refusing to work properly today - guess the walk was too far.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gee Whizz @Annb! You are doing well with appointments. No chance here. I'd have more chance getting into Fort Knox.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was surprised myself at the speed of action. Every time we phone for a GP appointment we get told that the GPs are very busy and might not get back within a working day, but I think they are covering themselves because any time we do get an appointment, everywhere is deserted.

On the other hand - you can apparently get an appointment with a podiatrist. Impossible here. It was the podiatrists who were supposed to do the doppler test, but it's going to be the practice nurse on Monday - at a newly set up community assessment unit in Stornoway - it is also the Dental Centre, but is only used for that in an emergency. Otherwise, teeth are seen to at another dentists' practice in the town - when they can fit you in.

Legs still in a bad way - lots of blisters stinging and burning plus arthritic knees still playing up. If I can manage to get some of this weight off, it should all improve.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had to go private for both chiropodist and the dentist which is probably why I get seen. I was seen once on the SNHS by a chiropodist/podiatrist, was told that I wasn't a priority so I don't "qualify" for regular appointments. Dentist, I've been private for years as it is pretty much impossible to get on an NHS list plus, even when I was NHS it was still costly. At least you get appointments when private and it's not fatal (until this bridge of mine is replaced that is!).

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to go private for both chiropodist and the dentist which is probably why I get seen. I was seen once on the SNHS by a chiropodist/podiatrist, was told that I wasn't a priority so I don't "qualify" for regular appointments. Dentist, I've been private for years as it is pretty much impossible to get on an NHS list plus, even when I was NHS it was still costly. At least you get appointments when private and it's not fatal (until this bridge of mine is replaced that is!).

We only have NHS dentists here - none of them do private work as far as I know. We do have one private podiatrist who goes around the island from client to client. Unfortunately, he is only one person and has closed his book because he can't cope with any more clients. Still waiting for Neil to get around to seeing to my feet. I'm hoping he will wake up sufficiently to do it today since I have to go for this doppler test tomorrow. But I haven't seen him since early this morning when he dragged himself through to take his pills and then disappeared back to bed. He's not feeling so well these days.

Baby Rue was brought for a visit yesterday with DIL (her grannie). For some reason, every time Rue sees me she starts crying - her big brother used to do the same when he was small as well. She's 7 months old now (amazing where the time has gone) and trying to stand up and walk (holding onto furniture) but refuses to try to crawl. Reportedly, irritatingly, she has started repeatedly saying dada. Since she has 2 mums and no dad, it doesn't go down well.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Back from having the Doppler test. Pulses are all there and fine - no problems, just swelling getting in the way. The nurse also measured me for some new compression hose, but it seemed to me to be a bit light on the actual measurements, and the hose I had before were measured in the same way and they were no good. The only ones that were any use were measured much more carefully and more measurements were taken. They were much better quality as well, but have finally worn out completely. We shall see.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just back from Stornoway again. This time it was an ultra sound scan. I thought it was to check my liver but it turns out they wanted to check on the 2 ovarian cysts they found last time. There's been no change, so that's OK - not that I suppose they would do any harm at my advanced age anyway. Only issue was having to drink a litre of water at 1 o'clock and not rush to the toilet before the scan. I'll have no trouble meeting my target for fluids today.

FBG 10.9 this morning but I waited to see if it was heading up or down. It was up, so I took a small dose of insulin and brought it down to 7.9 before a late breakfast. It's been around 5 since breakfast.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It seems to be a lot of tests with no resolution. I suffer with swelling in the ankles but can keep it under control usually with Aqua classes. Of course, there has been no classes for over a year now. At least I know what causes it. It goes back to my accident with a 40 ton lorry on the M6 which resulted in my spinal injuries. They tell me the lymphatic drain was damaged so it doesn't work properly hence my physio every 4 weeks to "knock" the fluid out. Painful but it does give me relief for a varying amount of time.
I think classes with start again next month so hopefully I'll be able to get in once the school holidays start.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My legs have been swelling for years but notice was only taken of it when I developed cellulitis and then a red, hot, swollen area on one shin. GP said it was varicose eczema and that it wouldn't improve. That's when compression hosiery was prescribed. Not much improvement but then, last year, it developed on the second leg. I asked about it, but the GP only looked at images online and prescribed zeroderm rather than the diprobase I have used for years. The result was that both legs became redder, sore and blistered, which they still are. I am waiting for the new prescription for compression hose to see what effect they have. Recent compression has only caused the swelling to move higher up my legs and cut off the circulation.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just about finished myself off yesterday - Neil had made a large planter for me to put out some of the little shrubs I've been nurturing over these last months. He'd worked so hard on it putting the rubble we bought the other day and then a layer of compost ready for me to do the planting. So I did some gardening - or rather I pottered around, planting 5 little shrubs and watering them in. It felt as though I had run a marathon! So I took some painkillers and fell asleep and woke up after the Zoom meeting I was supposed to be attending was over.

Neil has been pushing himself a bit too much recently. There was a wood burning stove in his living room which had hardly ever been used. It was installed when his brother was living in that part of the house and so, officially, belonged to No 2 son. Neil doesn't use it and needs the space more than the stove so, first of all, the steel chimney had to be taken down and the roof repaired. The 2 of them worked on it on Thursday and, of course, it took much longer than anticipated (it always does) so they left it after the roof was sound and left the remainder of the chimney inside the roof for another day. That day was yesterday and No 2 son was working, so Neil had to carry on on his own. Today he's pretty shattered! The next job is to see if DIL can sell the, practically brand new stove on the local "buy, swap and sell" site. Then the rest of the clearance can be done. At least I don't need to get a builder in to do the work.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is @DJC3 ’s news really (thanks!) but Copy Me That is back in the App Store on iOS so it’s now re-installed on my iPad, yay!

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 didn't want to make the main thread all about ice cream. Have made the mixture and am cooling it in the fridge before freezing.

Have to say that even if it doesn’t work as ice cream without an ice cream maker, from my tasting so far, the mixture would make a passable mousse and then would just need chilling. I went for crunchy almond butter and haven’t added any other nuts, but bought some sliced Brazil nuts which I may add as a topping. Used the Moser Roth 85% from Aldi.

And I now have 3 egg whites to add to my next omelette!

Will post the final result on the main thread.