Fibre

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I have flaxseed every day as part of a low carb diet.
Milled flaxseed with chia seeds (2 dessert spoons flaxseed to one of chia) and either a little chopped nuts or sunflower seeds, made into a porridge - cooked in water with a little coconut milk and cinnamon and served with double cream on top.
I also have a couple of servings of green veg with dinner.
That sounds lovely, I must get coconut milk to give it ago. Did you make up that recipe yourself? Can you microwave it or do you do it in a saucepan? Sorry for going slightly off topic here. I just miss porridge. Haha

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another who swears by seeds. They were recommend to me by a gastroenterologist several years ago when I had IBS type problems.
I find either linseed/flaxseed or chia seeds work the same. I'm now on just a tablespoon a day to keep regular which I increase if necessary.
I simply add the seeds to yoghurt and berries, or 1 sq dark chocolate, or a little coffee. You can eat it straight away or leave it overnight to thicken.
They also mix well into cream or coconut milk.

They can also be made into a bread equivalent with eggs and baking powder, check out 90 second bread.

I'd also agree your diet is very low in natural fibre, add more green leafy veg and seeds.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Linseed is Flaxseed! Same thing. :)
Strictly speaking, they are not the same. The plants are different and their use is different. One makes rope and linen, the other provides oil. In the UK we differentiate between them even in the seeds, but in the USA or Canada, they are both referred to as flax.

Jibba Jabba

That sounds lovely, I must get coconut milk to give it ago. Did you make up that recipe yourself? Can you microwave it or do you do it in a saucepan? Sorry for going slightly off topic here. I just miss porridge. Haha

I have “porridge” every day. I found the recipe on here quite some time ago.
2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
2 tablespoons ground almonds
1 tablespoon flaxseed or linseed
1 tablespoon oats (large size, not dust)

I cook it in a saucepan with some water and then when done I add some double cream and seeds. I seem to be able to tolerate a small amount of oats and it doesn’t raise my levels by much but everyone’s different

Reactions: Rach612

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I microwave it - not always the same nuts and seeds but plenty of cinnamon.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Warning - some might find this post a bit too graphic!
Although I try hard to keep up my fibre intake and drink lots, I have a serious constipation problem. Imo this is not necessarily due to my very low carb diet, though I expect that doesn't help. To keep myself out of A&E (seriously - impacted stool can require emergency treatment and I have come very near needing that a few times) - I have regular recourse to glycerol suppositories. They are prescribed for me by my GP, but they can be bought over the counter. Imo they are much preferable to laxatives, as they are obviously not ingested, and in the nature of things come out of the body fast. They are made from peanuts oil and are like little jelly torpedoes.
Good luck!
PS these are much cheaper at Superdrug than at Boots: https://www.superdrug.com/Health/St...lief-Suppositories-X-12/p/633164#pdp__details

Nothing is too graphic, I’ve worked in a hospital ha! I did use these glycerin bullets the other day, definitely much more effective, thank you

FSnow

Rhubarb Rhubarb
Three desert spoons daily (cooked with no sugar and not too much water - you get used to the tart taste and then get to love it) with low carb Greek yoghurt and walnuts.
Gradually over time more regular and reduced ibis.

Reactions: Dudette1

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have no trouble eating rhubarb with no sweetener. You can actually taste the rhubarb.

Reactions: Dudette1

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nothing is too graphic, I’ve worked in a hospital ha! I did use these glycerin bullets the other day, definitely much more effective, thank you
Congratulations on your attitude! Surprisingly, not all health professionals are comfortable with all the facts of life! When I discovered glycerol suppositories I rhapsodised about them to my then GP and her nurse. I thought they would be delighted to pass on this tip, which I had found (quality of) life-saving. They both looked very uncomfortable and laughed uneasily. However, to do my GP justice, she has prescribed them for me ever since.
Of course, addressing the cause of constipation with diet, fluid intake etc is primary, but I find it so stress-reducing to know I can "torpedo" the problem when it threatens to get out of control.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
I have added flaxseed to my yogurt and I have to say..wow! yep it’s done the trick