qarancv

I have returned to the Uk after 25 years in the USA. I am type 2 but in 2004 after a C-Peptide test, I was put on a Medtronic insulin pump. This was recently upgraded to a 770G (US equivalent of 780G) with CGM. My US medical insurance covers the cost including supplies. On my first Zoom appointment with the NHS Diabetic Consultant, he stated that as I officially type 2, the NHS was unable to cover the cost of my pump and CGM supplies. He was willing to manage the pump though. I have two questions.

1. What is the experience of other type 2 diabetics, who have C-Peptide value in the low range (normally indicative of Type 1), and are they able to obtain pump and CGM supplies funded by the NHS?

2. At the moment I am receiving my Medtronic supplies via the USA. What is the most cost-efficient way of obtaining supplies in the UK?

Many thanks.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In your shoes I'd be asking to be properly diagnosed which would aid your case a lot.

Who told you that you were T2 ? ... with low c-peptide that was a misdiagnosis I'd say.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have returned to the Uk after 25 years in the USA. I am type 2 but in 2004 after a C-Peptide test, I was put on a Medtronic insulin pump. This was recently upgraded to a 770G (US equivalent of 780G) with CGM. My US medical insurance covers the cost including supplies. On my first Zoom appointment with the NHS Diabetic Consultant, he stated that as I officially type 2, the NHS was unable to cover the cost of my pump and CGM supplies. He was willing to manage the pump though. I have two questions.

1. What is the experience of other type 2 diabetics, who have C-Peptide value in the low range (normally indicative of Type 1), and are they able to obtain pump and CGM supplies funded by the NHS?

2. At the moment I am receiving my Medtronic supplies via the USA. What is the most cost-efficient way of obtaining supplies in the UK?

Many thanks.
if you are type 2 then it seems very low chance for NHS funding but there are some ways it seems but looks like very specific criteria, maybe the reasons you are on a pump match?
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/Getting-an-insulin-pump.html

For type 1s it is easier, but there is significant barriers to jump through and others on the forums I’m sure can add to the challenges for acceptance. Plus there is a postcode lottery element

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta151/resources/insulin-pump-therapy-for-diabetes-pdf-374892589

good luck

you can private fund, but not cheap

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
C peptide indicates low levels of insulin which could be type 1 or LADA I guess.
It is not very easy to be able to get a pump if you are classic type 1 and I am trying to get a cgm on prescription right now (the Dexcom to link with my Tandem pump) and am aware that there's only a couple of places where this is even considered.
You may be able to get the Freestyle Libre on prescription which is a flash monitor but doesn't link up to the pump.
It would certainly be useful to get your diagnosis re classified so may therefore be a useful investment to seek a private endo appointment to re run the tests so that they have some UK and recent results to show your NHS consultant (tier 3). The fact that you are already using a pump and presumably doing well on it should go in your favour.
Privately I think you would be looking at £3k plus for a pump and consumeables or possibly more because the suppliers are set up to offer prices to the NHS Commissioning groups rather than individuals.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Privately I think you would be looking at £3k plus for a pump and consumeables or possibly more because the suppliers are set up to offer prices to the NHS Commissioning groups rather than individuals.
This sounds conservative to me. I was advised to insure my pump for £4000 as that would be the cost for the NHS to replace it. Plus there are the consumables.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For type 1s it is easier

I would say 'easier' in that it turns from impossible (for type 2) and nigh on impossible (for type 1s)! It always seems really daft to me because it can be a life changer for many people. @qarancv, you are on insulin so it's well worth persevering. x

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say 'easier' in that it turns from impossible (for type 2) and nigh on impossible (for type 1s)! It always seems really daft to me because it can be a life changer for many people. @qarancv, you are on insulin so it's well worth persevering. x
Well yes, but it’s an NHS cost aspect, and we can all argue on costs and what is more priority than something else. Ultimately there will always be things not available that we think should be but aren’t.

It doesn’t seem fair for sure but hopefully as technologies improve and costs come down this game changer will become available to more.

the link I found direct from the nhs indicates type 2 isn’t impossible though. However… it may be so incredibly rare that it might as well be I guess

Reactions: KK123

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
This sounds conservative to me. I was advised to insure my pump for £4000 as that would be the cost for the NHS to replace it. Plus there are the consumables.

for tandem its £3750 for the pump, and about £1800 per year for consumables.. plus £300 for control iq software

most other pumps are similar cost

even if you are going to self fund you'd need the support of a consultant as they would have to write a private prescription for you to be able to obtain the items.

the biggest issue with T2 and pumps will be that most pumps only carry 200 to 300 units of insulin, which may not be enough for many T2's and this should last 3 days.. if you have a 1 or 2 day refill then the consumable price will go up whether this is part of the NHS consideration into T2's and pumps i don't know

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I'm type 2 on a pump and Libre2, both nhs funded, so it is possible. I had a positive GAD test though, so I'm also classified as type one and LADA.
The reason I was allowed a pump is that one insertion set every 2-3 days was a massive increase in quality of life over 50+ injections per day. The Libre was due to repeated night time hypos and loss of hypo awareness.

Supplies come direct from Medtronic. Being nhs funded I email and get a delivery a couple of days later. You can set up an online account with them if you prefer. There aren't any pharmacies around where I live that stock pump supplies, and I doubt many would be willing to do so.

Reactions: EllieM

Ellie7176

Many thanks.