What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
mid morning : ff greek with seeds and blueberries and a lc chocolate cake bite, then a creamy coffee as still hungry.
12:00 some cheese, about 50g until finally satiated
18:00 roast chicken, spring greens, leeks, carrots and swede. (My boys don't even do roasted or Yorkshire for themselves now, just load up on the veg)
Rhubarb crumble and cream. Did use a little sweetener in the rhubarb but the topping was ground almonds, milled seeds, coconut and melted butter

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
BG was high all night - topped out at 14.9 around 3 am and was 10.9 by 7.30. Still higher than I wanted so took a small correction dose - too small because BG stayed around 10 until I got around to eating - about 12.30. I was going to have a mushroom omelette since I had no bacon left but then realised that the pack of sausages Neil bought for me on Thursday were actually on their use-by date so I had sausages and eggs. Forgot to check on the carb content of the sausages and by the time I had remembered the wrapper was in the bin. Due to the date on them, I just cooked the lot and will use them during the week as cold sausages. I used 45 u of insulin for this meal and BG dropped by 2.30 to 3.9.

I also realised that the piece of lamb shoulder Neil had bought for me to make a north African kind of stew was past its use by date, but it felt and smelled fine so I just dumped the whole piece (as opposed to chopping it into chunks) on top of a load of vegetables with some stock and spices and put it in the oven to slow cook until this evening some time. I was rushing because I had to go out to get the doppler test done.

The overnight high BG was probably due to the bowl of granola I had after my meal yesterday - it was too much for the amount of insulin I had taken, and too late in the day. All part of the learning curve.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner: chicken supreme with broccoli, carrots and mage toute followed by SF strawberry jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.

Onlinecaroline

Been absolutely rushed off my feet at work so neglected to post here, need to get back to it!

Breakfast - 3 eggs with butter and salt mashed in a cup

Lunch - Leftovers from yesterday’s dinner, chicken breast with a drizzle of Tuscan sauce. Probably about 2/3G. 2 Babybel and a sugar free jelly.

Dinner - 4 chicken wings in franks hot sauce plus a low carb wrap pizza, with an unholy amount of cheese, pepperoni and Parma ham. Probably going to finish with a fibre one bar and tea.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2 back to back exercise classes (not my idea its just the way schedules have changed as some return to halls!)
L: 2 soft boiled eggs with English Aspapgus dippers. One lc lemon cake from the batch boy bought me, nothing to write home about wouldn't bother again. My homemade are better! Tablesppon ff greek witha little rhubarb
D: chicken supreme with bubble and squeak. Only 1 large potato between 3 of us but it still sent my bg up to 8 and kept it there for over 2 hours, unless it was the small amount of roasted peppers I put in the supreme. Must test peppers separately during this libre session as I do suspect them

Edited for typos

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Planned start of the DD 2 week keto meal plan stalled at starting line as I ended up in hospital Sunday night after blacking out in the bathroom and splitting my head open as I fell. I’ve had lots of tests, scans and stitches and I’m home now looking like Frankenstein. hospital breakfast was toast, cereal or Ready brek! Nothing at all I could eat so just had a cup of tea with milk. I was really hungry too as I hadn’t eaten since lunch Sunday.
hospital lunch: I chose navarin of lamb with red cabbage as it seemed the best option. Whether it was or not my post meal reading was over 9!
Luckily I was allowed home before tea. I have to say I was so impressed with the hospital, everyone was so cheerful and efficient todays task is writing them a letter to say thank you.
I had another seizure in the ambulance on the way there and as that’s now on my record I have to inform DVLA and will probably have to stop driving for a year - this is a real blow living in Cornwall.
It occurred to me that it would be ironic if the diagnosis is epilepsy as keto is meant to ‘cure’ that, not cause it lol

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Hi so my breakfast last 3 days has been bulgarian cheese toast and bacon. Basically bulgarian cheese toast I used sourdough toast and then mixed grated cheese with an egg or two add chilli powder salt and pepper to taste spread over toast then grill Basically eat 1 slice with a side of bacon roughly works out about 15g carbs with 2 mugs of black coffee

Saturday Dinner baked pork belly with sweet potato

Sunday left over pork shredded cooked in Asian sauce 1/2 cup rice

Monday lunch apple
Dinner opened up a packet of ham de cebo ibérico jamonarium ham it just melted in my mouth which is to die for its made in Spain I brought 2 packets on special and opened up one it's the best but they don't stock it anymore. So sad now on search to found it somewhere to buy more!!

Tuesday lunch and Dinner

Apple

Dinner Leftover chicken and pork meatballs in a tomato sauce and sweet potato mash

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
@DJC3 hope your doing a lot better and you get some answers do take care ♡☆

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 - just seen this as I've had issues accessing the forum App yesterday & today. I do hope you're OK and they get to the bottom of it. Hugs xxx

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes. They were on a separate cardboard stand. I cant believe they taste so good, and my meter doesn't budge either!
But there are 4x 25g bars not 5x20g (for anyone counting exact carbs etc). 27g in whole pack
You're correct! 4 bars. It must have been wishful thinking that there was 5 If they are still there this week I'll be buying more since they are nice sized little bars (and because it's a When they're gone item).

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Outch, @DJC3 , I hope you'll feel better soon and I have my fingers crossed for this being a stand alone freak thing!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Planned start of the DD 2 week keto meal plan stalled at starting line as I ended up in hospital Sunday night after blacking out in the bathroom and splitting my head open as I fell. I’ve had lots of tests, scans and stitches and I’m home now looking like Frankenstein. hospital breakfast was toast, cereal or Ready brek! Nothing at all I could eat so just had a cup of tea with milk. I was really hungry too as I hadn’t eaten since lunch Sunday.
hospital lunch: I chose navarin of lamb with red cabbage as it seemed the best option. Whether it was or not my post meal reading was over 9!
Luckily I was allowed home before tea. I have to say I was so impressed with the hospital, everyone was so cheerful and efficient todays task is writing them a letter to say thank you.
I had another seizure in the ambulance on the way there and as that’s now on my record I have to inform DVLA and will probably have to stop driving for a year - this is a real blow living in Cornwall.
It occurred to me that it would be ironic if the diagnosis is epilepsy as keto is meant to ‘cure’ that, not cause it lol
Just spotted this - I’m trying to keep an eye on posts when time - and wanted to send you hugs - poor you and let’s hope it’s a one off. Very difficult if you can’t drive living where you do with little to no public transport. Take extra care - my eldest who I care for has epilepsy and it can be difficult to predict but if it is diagnosed it can be managed but I’m hoping it’s a one off. Hugs on the way.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@DJC3, sending hugs and hopes that you get past this episode soon and that it is just an isolated incident. Do take care.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast at 12 noon: reheated sausages and fried eggs.

2nd meal will be some more of the spiced vegetables and slow roast lamb from yesterday.

Reactions: maglil55

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ouch @DJC3 !
Scary experience. Take it easy, and try not to get too stressed. Waiting for test results is pretty tortuous, so be kind to yourself.
(((Hug)))

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just discovered a new soup!
Very nice indeed.
Base of leek, garlic, chicken stock.
Then lots of mushrooms.
When cooked, blend in brie, butter and fresh (I used frozen) thyme.
Lush!!!

for those of us wanting a bit more protein, I think it would be delicious served over diced chicken, or sauteed chicken livers, or diced sausage - especially smoked sausage. Another potential twiddle would be to garnish with crumbled streaky bacon or chorizo crisps...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So sorry to hear your news @DJC3 , I hope you heal quickly.
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: M&S caramelised onion and cheese fritatta with Mediterranean veggies followed by SF raspberry jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.

Onlinecaroline

@DJC3 thinking of you and hope you’re in the road to recovery.

Breakfast - the usual egg in a cup.
Lunch - M and S seed crackers with 2 portions of Boursin, pepperoni slices and a sugar free jelly.
Dinner - beef fajitas, one carb zone wrap, guacamole, cheese and sour cream. Followed by a fibre one bar and tea.

I’d really appreciate some advice - on Saturday I’m meeting my friends for the first time in almost 6 months. We are going to a nearby cafe for lunch and cocktails, but unfortunately the menu really is very carb based. Sandwiches, pancakes, sausage rolls etc. My plan would be to have their version of a ploughman’s as it’s served on malted bread with just cheese, ham and coleslaw. I haven’t had above 25g since January. I’m trying to take a balanced view that one sandwich in a year won’t kill me - as I’m going to have to live with this disease for hopefully 40 +years and don’t want to miss out on seeing my friends and going places we like. What do you all do in situations like this? Finding coming out of lockdown the most stressful part of being diabetic :bored:

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3