High blood sugar

ShelleyMcD

Hi,
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 2 years ago ive managed ok with just linagliptin but the last 2 weeks my bgt is no lower than 8 but more around 10/12 im experiencing symptoms like needing to wee more, always thirsty and now ive got thrush, not sure what to do, ive just had my annual blood test and am waiting for the results, ??

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 2 years ago ive managed ok with just linagliptin but the last 2 weeks my bgt is no lower than 8 but more around 10/12 im experiencing symptoms like needing to wee more, always thirsty and now ive got thrush, not sure what to do, ive just had my annual blood test and am waiting for the results, ??
Do you eat many carbs?

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Good morning Shelley,

All of us on this site have had the same problems that you are having in the past - until we learnt how to deal with the problem - some have taken many years.

Your diet and exercise are vitally important. But the most important is your diet.

The most important BS reading is first thing in the morning before you eat anything - FASTING Blood Sugar = FBS.

START by being radical - cut out ALL Carbs, sugar, sweets, fruit juices, etc. When you have got your FBS down to 5.6 or lower for a whole week then you can introduce a sugar free cereal for your breakfast - but not before.

If your FBS is still less than 6 you can introduce ONE SLICE of WHOLEMEAL bread but NO JAM or MARMALADE.

The rest of your meal during the day MUST have plenty of GREENS with a maximum of ONE SMALL POTATO and very little carrots or parsnips.

CARBS will "spike" your BS so try and eliminate them from your diet - you can eat as much greens and tomatoes as you like.

Be sensible when you eat nuts - they are very good for you but some will "spike" your BS reading.

The LOW CARB HIGH FAT diet (LCHF) from Diabetes UK is recommended.

A one mile walk every day especially after a meal will bring your BS reading down.

Keep reading this Forum and you will gain more insights about how to control you BS readings.

REMEMBER - everybody is different and what works for one does not necessarily work for all. But the general tend does.

Welcome to an exciting future.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Hi @ShelleyMcD ,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. The advice you've been given is sound: all carbs turn to glucose once ingested, so your best bet right now and in the future, is to cut those out to a point where you can cope. Your meter'll let you know what that point is. Test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite, and you're aiming for a rise of no more than 2.0 mmol/l. If it's higher than that, the meal was carbier than you could deal with. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help get you started, as could dietdoctor.com for instance. (And do get cream for the thrush. It's thriving on your high blood sugars.)

Good luck, and if you have any questions, just shout: there's always someone here with an answer.

Reactions: Kyambala

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
Sounds familiar to me, I was healthy and suddenly developed thrush which would not clear, noticed I had lost weight and was really thirsty and a blood test I was diagnosed as type 2, a year later my sugars became incredibly high ended up in hospital o st the weekend, they managed to get me down to 13 and said if it increased go back to my GP , within a day i was creeping up again, I then spent the next six weeks back and forth from the doctor trying e dry medication going and even the doctor said there was nothing more she could do for me and sent me to a day unit for further investigatiln , a rrived at 10am and left at 4.30pm with Insulin

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds familiar to me, I was healthy and suddenly developed thrush which would not clear, noticed I had lost weight and was really thirsty and a blood test I was diagnosed as type 2, a year later my sugars became incredibly high ended up in hospital o st the weekend, they managed to get me down to 13 and said if it increased go back to my GP , within a day i was creeping up again, I then spent the next six weeks back and forth from the doctor trying e dry medication going and even the doctor said there was nothing more she could do for me and sent me to a day unit for further investigatiln , a rrived at 10am and left at 4.30pm with Insulin

Good afternoon Lowcarb 2,

The secret to controlling BS lies in WHAT you eat; HOW often you eat; HOW much you eat; and exercise.

In my 25 years experience, with many slip ups, the Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) route is the best place to start. Build your diet around LOTS of greens and avoid potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and be sensible with the amount of nuts you snack on. Try reducing mealtimes to breakfast, light lunch, and evening meal before 8 pm. Gradually try and reduce the amount of food you eat at each sitting. Do try and walk for one mile every day. Say goodbye to fruit juices, carbonated drinks, sweets, chocolate, and junk foods.

Once you have stableised your morning Fasting Blood Sugar (FBS) to less than 6 for a few weeks you can then consider gradually the odd treat - but be very careful and watch those "spikes".

It is possible to CONTROL your blood sugars and perhaps go into remission - but you have to work seriously at it.

Have a nice day.