My numbers for Cholesterol shot way high..

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
..on last labs. Now I'm scared all over again. I got my numbers down, went through withdrawals from sugar and feel like I really beat it, but I'm so afraid about the cholesterol, mostly I think because my doctor is. But I also noticed my triglycerides are way down where they should be which makes a lot of what I've studied true, for me anyway. I have an appt. tomorrow with the doctor and he is going to **** his pants because I told him I was sure I could bring my numbers down on the cholesterol. I didn't want to take the statins, they scare me, and everyone I talked to warned me so I stopped after the first week, now this: (I included past results.) Has anyone else had that high of cholesterol and stay off statins and had the numbers come down on keto? I am so on that way of eating, I don't even cheat! My % are 70 fats, 25 proteins, and 5% carbs.

labs.JPG

(Mod edit)

Last edited by a moderator:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: G0ldengirl68

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well something changed in the last month for ldl and triglycerides. Do you know what? Was this fasted? Did you have coffee? They can definitely makes a difference. Are you actively losing weight? That raises ldl during the process. Or are you a hyper responder? When did you start keto?

Ultimately it’s your choice what you do about these numbers. Tweeking the diet? Take the tablets? Not worry as cholesterol is essential and protective particularly in older women? Listen to your drs explanations of why for you as an individual statins will help and by how much and then make your personal decision.

here a couple of calculators that help understand the numbers ahead of your appointment
https://cholesterolcode.com/new-report-tool-launched/
https://www.hughcalc.org/chol2013.php ( SI version for the U.K. in mmol here https://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php)

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @G0ldengirl68 you might want to run your numbers through one or both of these calculators to see what the ratios look like (can be done either in US or International units). That might give you another perspective as it’s the breakdown and ratios that are more important than the total cholesterol figure. That’s a great reduction you’ve had in trigs!

https://www.hughcalc.org/chol.php
You're in agreement with my two most trusted online sources @Goonergal It definitely put my mind at ease to look at those Trig #'s. I woke up at 1 a.m. and can't sleep so I just got up and will go back to bed when I get tired again. Thanks for your reply as I read it about 10 when I went to bed. I was so tired I couldn't write you back right away. It's very common for cholesterol to go up, I had read it and heard it, but when it happened it's like I forgot everything and went straight for panic. I truly believe what I'm doing is the right thing by no meds, and good nutrition.

I'm definitely well into Keto. I've lost 14 lbs now, and still adjusting to the changes in my body. Leg cramps were so bad I would limp around the day after they were so sore. Magnesium has helped a lot, right before bedtime. Doing electrolytes, easy does it on any supplements like potassium, sodium.

I had heard after I wrote the post from Dr. Bikman to take the Trig # and divide it by HDL. He said <1.5 was good, and mine came out 2.1 I think it was so I was a bit high. I didn't fast before the Lipid as they said it was my choice. I don't understand these dr's and nurses at all because now I think that may have caused at least the Trigs to be higher after I had eatin my usual larger breakfast of bacon or sausage, spinach, 2 large eggs, butter, and mozzarella cheese. Not to mention my chicory root coffee I mix myself.

I have to deal with the doctor today and I am stressed about that as I have no choice on doctors (types of) and he is ok with nutrition, but always pushes for me to take a pill. I'm not blowing this by doing so, I feel good, better than I have in years, more active, arthritis that was coming on pretty strong is gone, headaches gone, no stomach or digestive issues (GERDS) gone. Anyway, sorry for bending your ear, just hit the ground running this a.m. I worry too much about what my doctor will say, or what he thinks. thanks again, so much

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't fast before the Lipid as they said it was my choice. I don't understand these dr's and nurses at all because now I think that may have caused at least the Trigs to be higher

Well that right there would be a starting point for discussion if things get ‘heavy’. With my own GP I found that as soon as I exhibited some knowledge of the subject, I didn’t have to push back very far at all and the subject hardly gets mentioned now.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well something changed in the last month for ldl and triglycerides. Do you know what? Was this fasted? Did you have coffee? They can definitely makes a difference. Are you actively losing weight? That raises ldl during the process. Or are you a hyper responder? When did you start keto?

Ultimately it’s your choice what you do about these numbers. Tweeking the diet? Take the tablets? Not worry as cholesterol is essential and protective particularly in older women? Listen to your drs explanations of why for you as an individual statins will help and by how much and then make your personal decision.

here a couple of calculators that help understand the numbers ahead of your appointment
https://www.hughcalc.org/chol2013.php ( SI version for the U.K. in mmol here https://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php)
Hi @HSSS Please see my reply to @Goonergal as I think I answered all your questions there. Yes, I will talk to Dr. about those things you mention and thank you for them, that helps in knowing how to handle this right. Like I told Goonergal, I believe in what I am doing is the right thing, and I am not stopping at this point, I've come a long way since Jan. 20 diagnosis. After I saw my number on HbA1c shoot up to 7.4 from 7.0 I tested way more, and got into Keto all the way. I love the changes, but forgot there can be higher cholesterol, so studied up on that again lastnight.

Thanks for your reply and I will keep this thread updated on my next tests, I guess in 3 months unless he wants me to do Lipids again. I'm sure going to Fast before the next Lipid one. He gave me 2 other tests I'll mention here, that I don't understand what they are about yet. I asked if he could order B vitamin labs, but evidently my insurance doesn't cover much on those. These 2 I tell you about might have something to do with Bs, not sure. I'll snip them and insert below. Oh, I see now that the Folate one is about B vitamin, just one of I guess:
creatinine.JPG

Attachments

• Folic.JPG
    Folic.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 94

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well that right there would be a starting point for discussion if things get ‘heavy’. With my own GP I found that as soon as I exhibited some knowledge of the subject, I didn’t have to push back very far at all and the subject hardly gets mentioned now.
Good for you, I have to be honest with him and maybe the same will happen for me.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My sympathies with you I had the statins pressure from my GP ,he doesn't mention it now .Remember that our GPS are there to help us not the other way round ! My cholesterol results are high according to the level for diabetics but at 5.2I am happy with that as ann older woman and all the levels are in range .It annoys me when it comes up with an exclamation mark and high on my blood results but Hey No
Carol

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I just did the link both of you sent me and not sure if I am understanding it. First, I am on 5% carbs which is 36 grams according to my calculator in myfitnesspal. There isn't a choice for that number under the Keto diet, so I just clicked on it anyway at 20 g so it isn't going to be real accurate. Is the hilighted "low risk" mean I'm good? I only have 2 cups of chicory root in a.m. mixed with 1/3 of that 2 cups is coffee, and a total of tbsp's :
I also see not as long on Keto so I need to recalculate, thanks to all of you for the links!!
risk of cholesterol level.JPG

Last edited:

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My sympathies with you I had the statins pressure from my GP ,he doesn't mention it now .Remember that our GPS are there to help us not the other way round ! My cholesterol results are high according to the level for diabetics but at 5.2I am happy with that as ann older woman and all the levels are in range .It annoys me when it comes up with an exclamation mark and high on my blood results but Hey No
Carol
Hi Carol, I just know I am on the right track and I have to just relay that to him. He's a nice man, and I didn't want to appear disrespectful but I don't think I will if I just be honest how I feel about my decision to do this without meds. You gals have really helped me so much, I might even be able to get a bit more sleep before my appointment (phone/zoom) with Dr. Pearson at 10 a.m. I love listening to Dr. Bikman, and I like a lot of what Dr. Berg teaches. He literally draws a picture of how the whole cholesterol, trigs, and just all of it works in the body. It's so amazing. I don't mention about "where" I get my info, I just say I read a lot, which is also true ;)

PS We are so lucky to have gotten this info and practiced it. I see people here taking so many meds, and still suffering with so many issues ;( Like Dr. Bikman teaches about Insulin being at the center of it, and I've never been tested on that, insulin resistance.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ok, this one is more accurate. I calculated the days better, in months, that I've been on keto/LCHF, and saw there was a choice to pick LCHF 20g to 120g. Geesh, they consider 120 low carb! I couldn't get away with that, but I did go up to as much as 50 grams and still got good numbers, but many days I wouldn't hardly have any, even went below 20g. Just got kinda lazy and ate only Meat/fish, and a fat like cottage cheese or avocado:

Attachments

• more accurate.JPG
    more accurate.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 88

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
here is the video I watched lastnight after I posted my issue here. I was so happy to see that Dr. Bikman's info went right along with what all of you mentioned as well. I felt he was right on, but you all backed it up with your experience. I don't know if you've heard him before, but this is a good listen (imo) if you'd like to hear it. I so hope I can fall back to sleep soon, I'm so wired right now, but feel so much more secure than when I first posted. I wasn't notified in my email, that I know of, about my Lipid tests being back, so I went into my MedicalChart site and there they were. I got really scared when I saw that cholesterol # after feeling so good about how things were going, I expected lower #'s, but I'm learning ;) :

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @G0ldengirl68,

If it is any consolation (and I really appreciate that you are worried) -- normal blood sugar levels seem to be much more important in preventing heart desease than low cholesterol levels.

The figure below is from a study, which has followed women for 21 years (sorry can't link to the original article). It shows that with T2D, your risk for coronary is more than ten times higher than for people without T2D (and for metabolic syndrome, it is still 6 times as high), while for higher lipids, the risks, for the most part, less than 2 times as high (where anything under a hazard ratio below 2.0 in an epidemiological study according to the Bradford-Hill criteria might just be coincidental).

So, personally -- if I had to choose I would definitely choose lower blood sugar levels over lower blood lipids.

E2J5fIKXoAgs0JR

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @G0ldengirl68,

If it is any consolation (and I really appreciate that you are worried) -- normal blood sugar levels seem to be much more important in preventing heart desease than low cholesterol levels.

The figure below is from a study, which has followed women for 21 years (sorry can't link to the original article). It shows that with T2D, your risk for coronary is more than ten times higher than for people without T2D (and for metabolic syndrome, it is still 6 times as high), while for higher lipids, the risks, for the most part, less than 2 times as high (where anything under a hazard ratio below 2.0 in an epidemiological study according to the Bradford-Hill criteria might just be coincidental).

So, personally -- if I had to choose I would definitely choose lower blood sugar levels over lower blood lipids.

E2J5fIKXoAgs0JR

I might be confused but my cholesterol is high, 359, with 277 of Ldl, is that what you meant I haven't examined the chart. Are you saying that you think the statins might lower the cholesterol, but make my blood glucose go higher again? I so appreciate your info, thanks so much.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I might be confused but my cholesterol is high, 359, with 277 of Ldl, is that what you meant I haven't examined the chart. Are you saying that you think the statins might lower the cholesterol, but make my blood glucose go higher again? I so appreciate your info, thanks so much.

Hi @G0ldengirl68,

Yes, for some statins seem to raise blood sugar levels (though probably not for all) while lowering cholesterol. However, there are of course also other potential side effects.

As to the graph -- what might be confusing is that the graph is not about specific cholesterol levels, but about how much the risk for coronary heart disease increases (and this increased risk is why HCPs prescribe statins) when various health conditions are present.

When you take a look at the top part of the graph (the top red bar), you will see how diabetes (T2D) effects the risk of developing coronary heart disease. The figure 10.7 is the hazard ratio (or in other words increased risk level) and translates into a 10.7 times increased risk compared to someone without the condition. The next red bar depicts the increased risk for those suffering from metabolic syndrome, which is 6.09. In other words, suffering from metabolic syndrome increases one's risk of developing coronary heart disease by a little bit more than six-fold.

The hazard ratios for blood lipids (triglycerides, non-HDL cholesterol and LDL cholesterol) are in blue and are found in the bottom half of the graph. Especially for high LDL, the risk of developing coronary heart disease is much, much lower with a hazard ratio of 1.36 (so considerably less than two-fold) than for T2D and metabolic syndrome.

So, what does all this mean for you? This is how interpret these findings. You have already succeeded in lowering your blood sugar levels, which is very important in reducing your risk of developing heart problems (and much more important than lowering your LDL-levels). So, well done.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @G0ldengirl68,

Yes, for some statins seem to raise blood sugar levels (though probably not for all) while lowering cholesterol. However, there are of course also other potential side effects.

As to the graph -- what might be confusing is that the graph is not about specific cholesterol levels, but about how much the risk for coronary heart disease increases (and this increased risk is why HCPs prescribe statins) when various health conditions are present.

When you take a look at the top part of the graph (the top red bar), you will see how diabetes (T2D) effects the risk of developing coronary heart disease. The figure 10.7 is the hazard ratio (or in other words increased risk level) and translates into a 10.7 times increased risk compared to someone without the condition. The next red bar depicts the increased risk for those suffering from metabolic syndrome, which is 6.09. In other words, suffering from metabolic syndrome increases one's risk of developing coronary heart disease by a little bit more than six-fold.

The hazard ratios for blood lipids (triglycerides, non-HDL cholesterol and LDL cholesterol) are in blue and are found in the bottom half of the graph. Especially for high LDL, the risk of developing coronary heart disease is much, much lower with a hazard ratio of 1.36 (so considerably less than two-fold) than for T2D and metabolic syndrome.

So, what does all this mean for you? This is how interpret these findings. You have already succeeded in lowering your blood sugar levels, which is very important in reducing your risk of developing heart problems (and much more important than lowering your LDL-levels). So, well done.
Ok, thank you for that, I understood it all! I wanted to say since I don't remember you and I talking before, but I already have a 3rd degree AV Node block, but no meds for that since the diagnosis in 97. I am on my 3rd pacemaker which I even forget I have. My cardio says I am only using it 20%, or since getting the last one in, in 2014, I have only used up 20% so I must be doing pretty good on that. That's one reason the doctor tries to get me to take meds but I don't believe I need them at all. In fact, after all I've learned, I believe I was well into Insulin Resistance way back then, when I first had the heart issue.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that not fasting before your test will also contibute to a raised cholesterol reading

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think that not fasting before your test will also contibute to a raised cholesterol reading
I agree, and next time I will choose to do that. I still can't believe they didn't say that could make a difference ;(

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ok, just an update, and another thank you all for your help. I got to talk to my Dr. but could hardly hear him on the "phone appt" we are still having to do. I did talk about what I believe, and bottom line on the appointment is that yes, he wanted me to go back on the statins, but I'm not going to. He is accepting of that, but I think that he probably has to cover his butt by recommending it, and then making notes that say I turned it down again.

As I keep saying, I believe in what I am doing, and am encouraged by others that are taking that route as well. I will be back to give any updates and hope that what is happening for me will help others searching for truth in alternatives to pills.