How old were you when you were diagnosed

Micheller

Hi there.

I was wondering what kind of ages are there amongst the type 2 diabetics ? I was diagnosed just before Christmas, I went to my first diabetic meeting today. I am 44 which may be quite young for type 2 but I have a very strong genetic predisposition. I was hoping to meet people around my age as all I keep hearing is that its affecting younger and younger people but the room was full of 75+ yr olds. I'm not ageist but some were being wheeled in, enough to scare me half to death !! I now feel like a minority. Perhaps I'm really not the norm :|

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I am 53 and was diagnosed in July 2011.

shine

I was 52 diagnosed October 2007 was so shocked even though both parents had it and my younger sister was diagnosed before me so she tested me with her bayer meter so I rushed off to the Doctor i really don't know how long I'd had it before being diagnosed as I never had any of the symptoms
my sister or parents had like tiredness and being thirsty. But looking back now when i was about 50 ishI did change shape and my hips and thighs became slimmer and my stomach and waist plumper and I thought it was an age/hormonal thing, it was very strange LOL. although since being diagnosed have managed to lose a little bit of weight as doing more exercise now and cuting down on carbs.

Although you are young at 42 a lot of people go for years without being diagnosed and the sooner you get control the better - so take care and look after yourself.

Last HbA1c results Jan 2012 6.5 :D :D

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I was 28 when diagnosed in 97

Wirelad

Hi,

I am 43 today and was diagnosed just before Xmas. Still confused and waiting appointment with Diabetic nurse next week.

Micheller

Hi.
I have to say although my doctor is lovely she did literally say ok you're diabetic, I will sign you up for the classes and here's three months metformin. See you in Feb for another blood test.
I felt very much thrown in at the deep end, thank fully I found this forum. In her defense though she did act quickly on my test results. I really feel for those of you who have just found out. It's a heck of a shock whatever your age.
I've thrown myself 100% into eating a low carb diet and I now exercise 4 times a week ( real proper sweaty exercise) I have noticed a difference in my bg already after only a short time, fingers crossed the weight will follow :D

nikkik78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi.

I was 24 and that was 9 yrs ago and I still struggle. I only found this forum tonight as I was going to do the dukan diet and a friend sent me the link to here to see if it was the right diet for me.

I am on metformin twice a day and glicazide once a day and the GP has said it is all weight related but shifting the weight is a HUGE problem so coming on here now I may well get the guidance i need to help. My last hba1c was 6.4 so not bad control.

Good luck

Nikki :D

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I was diagnosed T2 in September 2011 at the young age of 44 :wink:

I must say though that it was the best thing that could have happened to me as it has forced me to turn my life around. This forum has been brilliant and I couldn't have managed without it.

Marina

captainlynne

Diagnosed T2 in 2007, age 57. Big shock - only person in family with diabetes was maternal aunt (diagnosed age 59ish). Now low-carbing and seeing much better levels :)

whatdoesthisbuttondo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed T2 in March '10 at age 43.

Dad was diagnosed a year earlier, when he was 65. I've also got his high blood pressure, so I've only got the pace maker to inherit from him now...............cheers Dad!
My wife says I have already turned into my Dad...

MaryJ

i'm 43, diagnosed just b4 christmas.

put 1lb on over christmas and lost 3 since

Now that has to be a positive thing!

(glass has to be half full or I'll cry lol)

x

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
I am 57 now and was diagnosed in my mid/late 40's after being warned a year or two earlier (did not listen .... doh!)

Sula

I was diagnoses at 58 in 2008 but I had been told two years before that I was 'pre diabetic' . I didn't understand the term, was I or wasn't I ? nothing was done by my doctor,I was very busy working and with heavy family committments so I ignored it, the rest is history.

sapphire74

I was 73 when diagnosed, 18 mths ago. I had a review a few weeks ago,and the nurse said I was doing very well although my colesterol is quite high. I am not on any medication.and I dont self test.Since I was diagnosed I have lost 19 lbs in weight.(I was 15 stone) I just cut down on fat and ate sensibly. This took me six months and I was very please and felt better. My problem is that I have started to crave carbs, and am finding it very difficult to sick to my eating plan. I get so hungry in the evening. Does any one else have this problem, I sometimes think its just the winter and the depressi ng weather geting to me.I am not very active due to athritis which does'nt help.Sorry if this all sounds a bit self pitying but I would appreciate anycomments

MarkP45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was 36 when I was diagnosed, never over weight, fit, and the dietician even asked why i was Diabetic.
Some answers cant be given, but I just get on with life and enjoy it.

mariab

I was 53 when I was diagnosed last june. Not on meds, trying to cut carbs but haven't been very good over Christmas. Trying to get myself back on track.