Hypostop Glucagen

Brabian

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've recently received a text message from my GP practice informing me that I cannot re-order a glucogen injection and that it has been removed from my medication record!

Has anyone else had this experience?

Is anyone aware of supply issues which could result in this outcome (as suggested when I spoke with the practice)?

I shall be meeting their nurse practitioner in a few weeks but I'd like to be well-informed in advance. It is most concerning that, if I should have another severe hypo in the future that my wife would be unable to assist me!

Brabian

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Brabian Welcome to the forum :)

Am pretty sure this is just your GP removing it as it hasn't been ordered by you recently, my surgery does a clean on my prescription once a year so I lose items I haven't ordered recently then, it's just a phone call to your practice to remind them you are insulin dependent and require this adding to your prescription again, it's a hassle I know but it's easily fixed.

Reactions: EllieM

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Brabian, I'm afraid I don't know the answer but as with anything that is suddenly removed from a prescription, and considered essential, make sure you make a fuss! I'm guessing you have had a severe hypo previously, do you get them on a regular basis? I can't imagine you and your wife are getting through those injections at a speedy rate, I wonder whether it's because there has been a long gap in between ordering? Take a look at the NICE guidelines if you are in the UK, that is their bible so if you know what they are saying then your GP won't be able to bamboozle you. x

Edited to add, snap with Juicy!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’ve not experienced this and I’ve had injections go out of date but they are still on my repeat prescription. . Sounds like this is down to your practice , but as stated by others here make a fuss , I’ve never had to use a Glucogen injection but always have one in the fridge just in case

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Brabian Welcome to the forum :)

Am pretty sure this is just your GP removing it as it hasn't been ordered by you recently, my surgery does a clean on my prescription once a year so I lose items I haven't ordered recently then, it's just a phone call to your practice to remind them you are insulin dependent and require this adding to your prescription again, it's a hassle I know but it's easily fixed.
Moderately off-topic, but definitely related. This keeps happening to me with Ketone sensors.

Is there any hack to prevent this from happening, beyond needlessly ordering sensors I don't need?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Moderately off-topic, but definitely related. This keeps happening to me with Ketone sensors.

Is there any hack to prevent this from happening, beyond needlessly ordering sensors I don't need?

I don't think there is except to just keep a close eye on your prescriptions, I have a yearly apt with the nurse at my local GP and can check which items they are likely to remove then, but she is very helpful so it does save me the hassle of finding out items have been dropped when I do need them and then of course the ensuing panic of trying to get them back. I understand it's a cost saving exercise, but it can normally be fixed in one phone call and a reminder of your insulin dependent status to get them back again.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
I have one in but thankfully never had to use one.
When close to expiry I simply phone my GP and ask for a new one and it arrives a day or 2 later.
It is not on my repeat prescription.

These things are what paramedics use so surely you having your own eliminates the need and cost of a paramedic?

Good luck

Tony

TypeZero.

I've recently received a text message from my GP practice informing me that I cannot re-order a glucogen injection and that it has been removed from my medication record!

Has anyone else had this experience?

Is anyone aware of supply issues which could result in this outcome (as suggested when I spoke with the practice)?

I shall be meeting their nurse practitioner in a few weeks but I'd like to be well-informed in advance. It is most concerning that, if I should have another severe hypo in the future that my wife would be unable to assist me!

Brabian

I only ever had 1 prescription of glucagon in my life and I always asked for more but I got ignored all the time.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Adverts, EU, Brussel Sprouts, Ginge & Winge.
I have never had Glucagon Injections prescribed. If I'm badly hypo I could not administer it myself, and my partner has a needle phobia and is so scared of them she has told me she couldn't bring herself to administer them herself to me if I have a bad hypo.