Celiac

dani96xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar to me.

Last year I tested weak positive for celiac. I had a blood test 6 weeks later and it was within normal range. A year on I've had another test which is weak positive again.

I have really dry hands even when constantly moisturising, is there a link?

I may need a gut biopsy just waiting from a gastroenterologist

Has any body experienced this or know someone?? As I know as a type 1 diabetic we are more at risk of other autoimmune conditions

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @dani96xx Your absolutely we are more prone to other autoimmune conditions, however I would get your thyroid checked if you're having dry hands as this was a symptom I had with my underactive thyroid, along with tiredness, hair loss, weight gain.

Best to rule other things out and also have a chat with your GP over your concerns, if you suspect Coeliac then just try a couple of weeks without gluten to see how your body responds ?

Reactions: dani96xx

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not for celiac but I have weak positive results for one of thyroid antibodies but my thyroid results are normal for the moment. Do you have any symptoms for celiac?. It might be that weak positive results for other autoimmune disease are not uncommon or relatively usual if you have one autoimmune condition and not necessarily mean you will develop the other condition, I’ve read this in one of medical journal papers

Reactions: dani96xx

dani96xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @dani96xx Your absolutely we are more prone to other autoimmune conditions, however I would get your thyroid checked if you're having dry hands as this was a symptom I had with my underactive thyroid, along with tiredness, hair loss, weight gain.

Best to rule other things out and also have a chat with your GP over your concerns, if you suspect Coeliac then just try a couple of weeks without gluten to see how your body responds ?
Thank you for your message. Oh really that's interesting. I have actually put on weight in the last year however I am doing alot more exercise so I think it is muscle gain! I have to continue eating gluten otherwise it won't show on my blood test, I will see if they can check my thyroid though thank you

dani96xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not for celiac but I have weak positive results for one of thyroid antibodies but my thyroid results are normal for the moment. Do you have any symptoms for celiac?. It might be that weak positive results for other autoimmune disease are not uncommon or relatively usual if you have one autoimmune condition and not necessarily mean you will develop the other condition, I’ve read this in one of medical journal papers
Interesting, I did wonder that. I have some mild symptoms my main one being really dry hands! So I'm not really sure