PRP Laser - side effects

Reb110

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I had PRP laser for the first time on half of my left eye two weeks ago and then again on both eyes 10 days ago, a few days after I developed a large round light that keeps circling my eyes (left eye is a lot worse than the right eye). It starts at one point and goes all the way round, and it does that up to 3 times in a row. It’s getting worse and I have now two of the round lights. This is happening at least every 5 minutes.

Is this a normal side effect? Or do I need to speak to a dr?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had several sessions of laser treatment for retinopathy and never experienced that. I'd suggest you go to A& E to get it checked out.

Dark Horse

Hi, I had PRP laser for the first time on half of my left eye two weeks ago and then again on both eyes 10 days ago, a few days after I developed a large round light that keeps circling my eyes (left eye is a lot worse than the right eye). It starts at one point and goes all the way round, and it does that up to 3 times in a row. It’s getting worse and I have now two of the round lights. This is happening at least every 5 minutes.

Is this a normal side effect? Or do I need to speak to a dr?
It sounds unusual. I would phone the Eye Clinic where you were treated and ask for advice. (If they are closed, ask to speak to the on-call eye doctor.)

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would have said to do that@Dark Horse as it would seem reasonable, but after one of my sessions of laser treatment I had a lot more pain than usual, and left a message on the eye clinic's answer phone. Didn't hear anything, so the next day called the Consultants secretary who passed a message to the on call eye dr, I still didn't hear anything, so in desperation the next day I called patients advice and liaison service (PALS), who were brilliant.

Fortunately all was ok, but had it been urgent I'd have 'lost' time that may have been the difference in outcomes. Received an apology from the on call dr and informed that the answer machine in eye clinic wasn't checked regularly!! System has now been changed so that a team at another hospital respond to eye queries after treatment, BUT the number isn't routinely given to patients so how the heck you're supposed to know who to contact beats me. Sorry rant over!!

Dark Horse

I would have said to do that@Dark Horse as it would seem reasonable, but after one of my sessions of laser treatment I had a lot more pain than usual, and left a message on the eye clinic's answer phone. Didn't hear anything, so the next day called the Consultants secretary who passed a message to the on call eye dr, I still didn't hear anything, so in desperation the next day I called patients advice and liaison service (PALS), who were brilliant.

Fortunately all was ok, but had it been urgent I'd have 'lost' time that may have been the difference in outcomes. Received an apology from the on call dr and informed that the answer machine in eye clinic wasn't checked regularly!! System has now been changed so that a team at another hospital respond to eye queries after treatment, BUT the number isn't routinely given to patients so how the heck you're supposed to know who to contact beats me. Sorry rant over!!
I agree - leaving an answerphone message is not advisable. Either ring back (during clinic hours) or ask the switchboard to be put through to the on-call ophthalmologist if out of hours.

Reactions: Struma