Blood circulation - still not too good.

Allan59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Too many to mention:
Thought I would start a new thread instead of adding to the old one.
When my right foot was getting so cold, I went to the doctors and he diagnosed that I had bad circulation on this leg- that is why my foot was cold - so he prescribed blood thing tablets and told me to smoke smoking.
So I tried to stop smoking and I haven't managed to fully quit yet - it's so hard & I know it's all in my head.
Anyway the cold foot got better for a couple of months and now its back - went to the doctor again and now he is sending me to the hospital to get more tests done.
I am really worried about all of this and I was just wondering has anyone else had similar problems ?
Blood pressure is good and so is my cholesterol levels and my sugar level right now is 7.9 ( always a bit higher in the morning )

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My vascular surgeon told me to stop smoking (I already had), keep a close eye on glucose levels (which I pretty much do), and exercise plenty.
I suggest you really need to give up the ciggies and try and lower that sugar number.
I hope your hospital tests come back with postitive news for you, but I really believe you'll help yourself with some changes whatever the results.
Do you exercise?
Anyway, good luck. I know it's worrying.

Reactions: Allan59 and ziggy_w

Allan59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Too many to mention:
My vascular surgeon told me to stop smoking (I already had), keep a close eye on glucose levels (which I pretty much do), and exercise plenty.
I suggest you really need to give up the ciggies and try and lower that sugar number.
I hope your hospital tests come back with postitive news for you, but I really believe you'll help yourself with some changes whatever the results.
Do you exercise?
Anyway, good luck. I know it's worrying.
Yeah ! I try my best - I have a very tough job- I renovate bathrooms, I go for walks at the weekends and cut the grass.
Tomorrow morning I will give it another go about those ciggies - I was doing well 5 weeks ago, but my Father passed away and I started again :banghead:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might look in to ginko biloba extract - it is OK for men - and older women, as it increases circulation (allegedly) - it is a herbal preparation, but it has been used for a very long time. Do not take it with any blood thinners or similar medication, and check with your GP, and do keep trying to stop the smoking. My dad had poor circulation to his feet made worse by smoking and it greatly affected his life for decades.

Reactions: Allan59

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah ! I try my best - I have a very tough job- I renovate bathrooms, I go for walks at the weekends and cut the grass.
Tomorrow morning I will give it another go about those ciggies - I was doing well 5 weeks ago, but my Father passed away and I started again :banghead:
Sorry to hear about your father, losing your Dad is one of life's greatest upheavals. I still think abot mine nearly 50 years on.
You'll find your own way to kick the ciggies eventually (I smokes for 30+ years).
Neither nicotine nor excess sugar is good for circulation, that was a spur for me to mak changes.
Good luck, keep going.

Reactions: Struma and Allan59

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Allan, regarding your glucose, there's an article here about fasting / intermitent fasting.
It offers some explanation of how and why the control of our sugars (particularly diabetics like us) is important.
Inflammation causes all sorts of problems, in my view cardio vascular difficulties are among them.
I'm certainly not preaching, just giving you the chance to look at alternatives to maybe help yourself.
Keep at it.

Reactions: LaoDan

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Dig in on quitting, I’m also an ex smoker.. at five weeks you were almost there, you can do it!

Reactions: Heather15792

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thought I would start a new thread instead of adding to the old one.
When my right foot was getting so cold, I went to the doctors and he diagnosed that I had bad circulation on this leg- that is why my foot was cold - so he prescribed blood thing tablets and told me to smoke smoking.
So I tried to stop smoking and I haven't managed to fully quit yet - it's so hard & I know it's all in my head.
Anyway the cold foot got better for a couple of months and now its back - went to the doctor again and now he is sending me to the hospital to get more tests done.
I am really worried about all of this and I was just wondering has anyone else had similar problems ?
Blood pressure is good and so is my cholesterol levels and my sugar level right now is 7.9 ( always a bit higher in the morning )
My husband had clot in left calf gone from blood thinning injections to tablets but still having problems like you they now think he has a circulation problem narrowing of the vein awaiting appt with nurse for dopla scan

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found ecig was a great help for me. Just start at 12-18mg of nicotein and then slowly work your way down until your on zero ejuce. Took me months (almost a year) then a few more months of keeping my smoking hand busy to get rid of that sensation i had in it (had to hold a pen or something simular). Been nicotein free for 13 yrs now :)

optimist1

I'm sorry for your loss. I had a list of excuses when I was giving up. In the end, I stopped when I really wanted to.

" he is sending me to the hospital to get more tests done." That sounds like a good idea. I think these things really need to be got on top of.