Cholestrol. Are my readings bad?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My question is about cholesterol. It's gone up since my last a1c in February from 5.2 to 6.8. I expected it to go up but not quite so much. I must admit I'm a tad concerned. Will it keep going up? Shall I eat less fat? My a1c now is going in the right direction so the LCHF diet Is working in that respect. No need for meds apparently re cholesterol. I thought they would automatically offer me statins (not that I would take them).

The breakdown is as follows:
4.95 LDL
1.85 HDL
0.99 TRI

If anyone is clued up on cholesterol I would love your guidance. I've read various info which is conflicting even on nhs choices which says it might not be as bad as we think it us for us! Any help much appreciated.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My question is about cholesterol. It's gone up since my last a1c in February from 5.2 to 6.8. I expected it to go up but not quite so much. I must admit I'm a tad concerned. Will it keep going up? Shall I eat less fat? My a1c now is going in the right direction so the LCHF diet Is working in that respect. No need for meds apparently re cholesterol. I thought they would automatically offer me statins (not that I would take them).

The breakdown is as follows:
4.95 LDL
1.85 HDL
0.99 TRI

If anyone is clued up on cholesterol I would love your guidance. I've read various info which is conflicting even on nhs choices which says it might not be as bad as we think it us for us! Any help much appreciated.
@bulkbiker @Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

As far as I can see it is only the LDL that is higher than standard. Your trigs-HDL ratio is good and that is the important ratio. A lot of us find our LDL goes up on lchf but the lower the trigs are the more big fluffy particles there are likely to be in the LDL and therefore less of the small high density ones, which are the bad ones.

Did you fast for this test? Just water for 10 hours?

Also, cholesterol can rise a bit if we are losing weight (although mine didn't)

As you didn't get offered statins I assume your doctor/nurse isn't concerned.

Sorry I can't give you links. I'm away from home with an ancient phone and no WiFi!!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I can see it is only the LDL that is higher than standard. Your trigs-HDL ratio is good and that is the important ratio. A lot of us find our LDL goes up on lchf but the lower the trigs are the more big fluffy particles there are likely to be in the LDL and therefore less of the small high density ones, which are the bad ones.

Did you fast for this test? Just water for 10 hours?

Also, cholesterol can rise a bit if we are losing weight (although mine didn't)

As you didn't get offered statins I assume your doctor/nurse isn't concerned.

Sorry I can't give you links. I'm away from home with an ancient phone and no WiFi!!
That puts my mind at rest. I did fast for 12 hours just water. I'm not clued up on cholesterol but intend to be! With your help :)

Feeling better already. Only saw DN who said risk factor unfer 10% so no meds necessary so I'm happy with that. I might get a home testing kit so i can keep my eyes on things.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That puts my mind at rest. I did fast for 12 hours just water. I'm not clued up on cholesterol but intend to be! With your help :)

Feeling better already. Only saw DN who said risk factor unfer 10% so no meds necessary so I'm happy with that. I might get a home testing kit so i can keep my eyes on things.

I would save your money, honestly. Let's imagine that on one occasion you see a slight rise, what would you do?
Keep your carbs at your preferred level for good bg and this should reflect on your trigs. You are doing well, keep it up.

Reactions: Debandez

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Our lipids are moving all the time. Up and down, just like our glucose. Rarely the same from minute to minute. A blood test is just a snap shot at the time of the test. It is not any sort of average. I wouldn't waste my money on a home test. And as said, what would you do? Try to relax about it. Your nurse is happy, so be happy with her. :)

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As long as your HDL is high and TGs are low, the total cholesterol and LDL don't matter much. Most important thing from my research is the Tg/HDL ratio, which should be below 2. This is very helpful for anyone who needs to understand science behind cholesterol

Reactions: jjraak

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most important thing from my research is the Tg/HDL ratio, which should be below 2.

I agree this ratio is the most important one - Trigs low, HDL high. However, according to my research the ideal ratio should be under 0.87mmol/l.

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree this ratio is the most important one - Trigs low, HDL high. However, according to my research the ideal ratio should be under 0.87mmol/l.
Yes on a strict standard, optimal value should be below 1, you are absolutely right.

Reactions: Bluetit1802