Really struggling with low carb

Sad21+

My way of eating is moderate carbs low carb does not suit me so I eat most things I like in small portions. I don't eat sweet stuff though have never had a sweet tooth .It works for me and my blood tests are fine and I don't take any diabetes medication What suits one person does not necessarily suit another Especially as you have other problems you must find what suits you it is all trial and error
I really do appreciate this. I've been so paranoid and watching all types of low carb and fasting videos. I guess I went to extreme and panicked. Thank you for this.

Reactions: zand

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really do appreciate this. I've been so paranoid and watching all types of low carb and fasting videos. I guess I went to extreme and panicked. Thank you for this.
Unless either you or Mum have extremely high bg, there's no need to do at this like a steam train. Its a marathon not a sprint and needs to be something you can cope with for life. So little changes just one or 2 at a time until you find what suits you, and Mum.

mouseee

Aldi have several different kinds of lower carb pasta made from soy beans, chicken peas etc. Worth looking at as I think they are gluten free.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm so sorry I didn't see this. Yes I've tried cauliflower rice both me and my mum and we don't like it. We tend to have curries with veggies. I'm thinking of buying a food processor and making my own cauliflower rice. Thank you. Sorry for delay
You can make cauliflower rice with a grater but it goes everywhere. The frozen cauliflower rice is the best and very convenient. The chilled cauliflower rice that Sainsbury's sell is horrible.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
After years of low carbing I became sick to death of it, hated salad! Hated fish my whole life so that was never an option, sick of nuts, my foods I liked became smaller and smaller, as a result I ate more carbs.

I have eventually got to a level I am able to tolerate. If I want a sandwich I have one, etc etc. I still don’t eat pasta or rice, I will eat a few roasters on my Sunday dinner. I never eat sweets, deserts etc etc, I don’t smoke or drink alcohol so I suppose compared to the general population I am a saint. Compared to the good folks here I am a devil

It’s all about quality of life for me, balancing happiness with health, sorry I’m no role model, I just wanted to empathize.

I hope you find a happy path.

Last edited:

Helenorchid

Hello I'm 29 and prediabetic. I'm also suffering from peripual neuropathy.I've been doing low carb since January. And I'm struggling with the food. It got so bad I just stopped eating. I don't like low carb food but I have no choice. I'm not a fan of red meat. I've eaten so many salads. I constantly eat fish, eggs,cheese and nuts. I cannot stand the taste of almond and coconut flour. I try and force myself to eat it. But I'm so tired and hungry all the time. I suffer from ibs so I cannot have gluten. I'm overwhelmed and anxious because I cannot have gluten,sugar and carbs. I'm paranoid when it comes to food now. I just don't know what to do anymore. I think what depresses me the most is I have to eat like this for the rest of my life. Any help would be great.
I’ve really enjoyed my low carb journey. I’m a foodie, so I was sad to feel I couldn’t use all my favourite ingredients. However, I’ve discovered lots more.

I’ve discovered that celeriac sliced thinly and cooked as dauphinois ‘potatoes ’ really is a fabulous substitute for potatoes. It also keeps, covered in the fridge for 5 days. Also cauliflower rice cooked exactly 4 mins in microwave works as rice, as long as the sauce you use is flavoursome. I use spiralized courgette in place of pasta.
I can make a crumb base for a deep quiche using ground almonds and olive oil. This makes a lovely lunch.

Coconut macaroons that are indistinguishable from shop bought ones are so easy to make. The secret is to reduce double cream with sweetener until it’s the consistency of condensed milk. Then use it in place of condensed milk in recipes.
I make really good peanut cookies and truffles are all keto.
Parmesan fried chicken is yummy, large stuffed mushrooms, bolognaise stuffed peppers topped with mozzarella. I enjoy oven toast vegetables with roasted feta cheese and black olives.
I really enjoy my food now, to be honest the only thing I haven’t found a substitute for is Cod and chips as I can’t deep fry at home.

The only thing I’d add is that if you test your blood before eating and two hours afterwards, you may find you can eat small quantities of things you may think you can’t have. I can enjoy a small amount of flour but I can’t eat carrots! A small slice of Christmas cake without icing and marzipan doesn’t spike me, that was a happy discovery.

I’m happy to share my recipes, I’ve discovered quantities as I’ve cooked them so they are only guidelines.
I’d love to open a keto cafe, there is so much to share.

Reactions: Sad21+ and jjraak

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Sad21+ you say you are not a fan of red meat. If this is a taste or religious thing then that is the end of the matter. If it is as due to either, climate, cancer, saturated fat or "study" issues, then there are compelling facts which might give you cause to reconsider, due to the benefits red meat conveys and convenience.

Reactions: Sad21+

Sad21+

I’ve really enjoyed my low carb journey. I’m a foodie, so I was sad to feel I couldn’t use all my favourite ingredients. However, I’ve discovered lots more.

I’ve discovered that celeriac sliced thinly and cooked as dauphinois ‘potatoes ’ really is a fabulous substitute for potatoes. It also keeps, covered in the fridge for 5 days. Also cauliflower rice cooked exactly 4 mins in microwave works as rice, as long as the sauce you use is flavoursome. I use spiralized courgette in place of pasta.
I can make a crumb base for a deep quiche using ground almonds and olive oil. This makes a lovely lunch.

Coconut macaroons that are indistinguishable from shop bought ones are so easy to make. The secret is to reduce double cream with sweetener until it’s the consistency of condensed milk. Then use it in place of condensed milk in recipes.
I make really good peanut cookies and truffles are all keto.
Parmesan fried chicken is yummy, large stuffed mushrooms, bolognaise stuffed peppers topped with mozzarella. I enjoy oven toast vegetables with roasted feta cheese and black olives.
I really enjoy my food now, to be honest the only thing I haven’t found a substitute for is Cod and chips as I can’t deep fry at home.

The only thing I’d add is that if you test your blood before eating and two hours afterwards, you may find you can eat small quantities of things you may think you can’t have. I can enjoy a small amount of flour but I can’t eat carrots! A small slice of Christmas cake without icing and marzipan doesn’t spike me, that was a happy discovery.

I’m happy to share my recipes, I’ve discovered quantities as I’ve cooked them so they are only guidelines.
I’d love to open a keto cafe, there is so much to share.
I apologize for replying so late. Thank you for your advice I will definitely try those recipes. And yes I need to test myself more. Wow that's insane that carrots have more effect then Christmas cake. Wow k appreciate this. Thank you. Please take care.

Sad21+

Hi @Sad21+ you say you are not a fan of red meat. If this is a taste or religious thing then that is the end of the matter. If it is as due to either, climate, cancer, saturated fat or "study" issues, then there are compelling facts which might give you cause to reconsider, due to the benefits red meat conveys and convenience.
I apologize for the delay. I just don't like the taste and I prefer veggies fruits and carbs. So now I'm eating more protein and it's hard because I'm not enjoying it. I've tried tofu it's ok. I just have to continue and get over it. Thank you for your advice.

Beating-My-Betes

I apologize for the delay. I just don't like the taste and I prefer veggies fruits and carbs. So now I'm eating more protein and it's hard because I'm not enjoying it. I've tried tofu it's ok. I just have to continue and get over it. Thank you for your advice.

Making tofu good can be a bit of an art-form. Not sure I'm an expert, but I might be able to give some pointers. One idea is to buy the ready-flavoured options. They come in at a higher-price, and with a bit of a sodium hit, but there are many diverse flavours.

Also, there are some other alternatives: Textured vegetable protein (TVP) is much easier to work with and I'd say more versatile, given it's ability to absorb the flavour of whatever you cook it with. I can also give some ideas for that, if you are interested. And there's also seitan. This wouldn't be suitable for you if you have issues with gluten, but it's texture and density make it really enjoyable. Both TVP and seitan pack in a very decent protein punch, while being low in both fat and carbs.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Reactions: Sad21+

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After years of low carbing I became sick to death of it, hated salad! Hated fish my whole life so that was never an option, sick of nuts, my foods I liked became smaller and smaller, as a result I ate more carbs.

I have eventually got to a level I am able to tolerate. If I want a sandwich I have one, etc etc. I still don’t eat pasta or rice, I will eat a few roasters on my Sunday dinner. I never eat sweets, deserts etc etc, I don’t smoke or drink alcohol so I suppose compared to the general population I am a saint. Compared to the good folks here I am a devil

It’s all about quality of life for me, balancing happiness with health, sorry I’m no role model, I just wanted to empathize.

I hope you find a happy path.
I don’t think you are a devil! And anyone who tries is a role model, in my opinion.

I don’t think the people on here are the carb police, although I’m sure we sound like it sometimes! But it’s with the best of intentions, I think most posters here just want everyone to have the best possible management of their condition and the best possible long-term outcome, however it is achieved. And everyone is different and has different preferences, tolerances, life circumstances. Any steps that someone with diabetes takes to improve their situation is a positive action. It’s a marathon after all, not a sprint.

Sad21+

Thank you so much. This was lovely to read. And given me hope. I apologize for the delay. yes any ideas or recipes I would absolutely love. Thank you so much. Please take care
Making tofu good can be a bit of an art-form. Not sure I'm an expert, but I might be able to give some pointers. One idea is to buy the ready-flavoured options. They come in at a higher-price, and with a bit of a sodium hit, but there are many diverse flavours.

Also, there are some other alternatives: Textured vegetable protein (TVP) is much easier to work with and I'd say more versatile, given it's ability to absorb the flavour of whatever you cook it with. I can also give some ideas for that, if you are interested. And there's also seitan. This wouldn't be suitable for you if you have issues with gluten, but it's texture and density make it really enjoyable. Both TVP and seitan pack in a very decent protein punch, while being low in both fat and carbs.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Reactions: Beating-My-Betes

Beating-My-Betes

Thank you so much. This was lovely to read. And given me hope. I apologize for the delay. yes any ideas or recipes I would absolutely love. Thank you so much. Please take care

The easiest thing to do with tofu is scramble it. Buy a block that is in water. Squeeze as much water out of it as you can. Then crumble it into chunks into the frying-pan. Add veggies (Within your chosen carb tolerance), spices, curry...whatever. Nutritional yeast is a nice option, if you don't want to add cheese. And if you want that egg-like sulphur smell/taste, add some black salt at the end (Can't confirm if this is any good, as I have no interest in adding sulphur taste and smell ;) )

The easiest thing to do with TVP is soak it in warm water. Then drain and squeeze out the liquid. Add spices and lightly fry. Add to any dishes. Alternatively, you can rehydrate the chunks/pieces into the sauce of a particular dish.

Don't forget hummus, falafel etc., although there are better ways to git a larger protein hit. And don't rule out adding protein powder to various dishes.

Here are some more specific ideas:

Didn't really sift through these, but they are from some of my favourite vegan 'foodie' Youtubers (Where else to go for tofu recipes?). I've linked to channel searches, so you can pick according to your own interest. You might find having to substitute ingredients for the sweet sauces and substituting low-carb flours etc.. These are just for ideas. I've included 'sauce Stache' just to show how deep down the rabbit-hole one can go:

Tofu:

https://www.youtube.com/c/CheapLazyVegan/search?query=tofu
https://www.youtube.com/c/EdgyVeg/search?query=tofu
https://www.youtube.com/c/SauceStache/search?query=tofu
https://www.youtube.com/c/PickUpLimes/search?query=tofu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrHz_hVBOnU

TVP:

https://www.youtube.com/c/SauceStache/search?query=tvp

I'd say a lot of these foods are more occasional. At his point, I'm quite happy to air-fry plain tofu and eat it very simply. And with tvp, I can also eat that plain also. What I'd recommend is to try and get acquainted with beans legumes etc. Things like lentils, chick peas (Both can be sprouted, also), along with edamame, white beans, broad beans etc. Even green peas can contribute to your daily protein needs.

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with an earlier poster, this journey is a marathon not a race and you need to find a level you feel comfortable with and can maintain.

I find like most journeys there are ups and downs, it’s not always smooth. I can be doing well and enjoying LC and other times I hate that I can’t just eat without thinking.

On the cauli rice front - we use a sharp knife and kind of coarsely chop cauliflower. It takes only as long as grating or food processing and probably makes less mess. I prefer the coarser texture and my husband often makes me a cauli rice to have with curry - flavoured with onion and spices. I do mine plain (because I’m lazy) but fry it in a stupidly hot pain until it’s got some colour on it and then add a splash of hot water and put lid on it - it then steams a little to soften. Takes less than 5 mins altogether

As for treats, this company makes low carb cakes with no nasty ingredients and some of their cakes are gluten free too. I’ve only found them a couple of months ago but they are deliciously. https://deliciouslyguiltfree.com/collections/all
T
hey keep in the fridge for a week and in the freezer (which stops me scoffing the box in a week). They are expensive but they’re kept just for me. My husband and son know to keep off!

I
also keep some low carb bread in the freezer for those times when I just want a sandwich or toast

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I just grate cauliflower, then add a little oil and roast it at 190C for 12-15 mins until it just begins to change colour but still has an al dente feel. This tastes better than just microwaving it.
It can then be heated in a microwave or stir-fried with salmon or chicken and veg. I like it stir-fried with spring onion and mushrooms, then a beaten egg stirred in.

And if it is just the taste of almond flour you don't like maybe try one of the cake recipes - you shouldn't be able to taste it. One really good one here: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/keto-cake-recipe/

Foxglove**

Aldi have several different kinds of lower carb pasta made from soy beans, chicken peas etc. Worth looking at as I think they are gluten free.

My daughter told me about them. We’ve just had soy and mung bean fettuccine, with spicy Bolognaise and Parmesan style cheese. They are very filling and are a great substitute for pasta.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm so sorry I didn't see this. Yes I've tried cauliflower rice both me and my mum and we don't like it. We tend to have curries with veggies. I'm thinking of buying a food processor and making my own cauliflower rice. Thank you. Sorry for delay

How did you cook your cauliflower rice? I have found if I microwave or oven cook it it's OK-ish, but if I quickly stir fry it, a HOT pan, it's totally different. I also rarely have plain cauli rice - even if its going to go with a curry.

If the curry is Indian, I'll add some turmeric, and maybe other spices to the cauli rice, so it looks like pilau rice.

Let's face it, the tasty part of a curry is the curry. The rice is just a carrier to make it easier to get from plate to mouth.

When you had to give up gluten, did you start using gluten-free options for the likes of bread, or did you just stop eating bread?

(I'm also strictly gluten-free.)

Reactions: LaoDan and EllieM