Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, despite the promises of sunny weather I woke up to rain. Just the lightest rain, but wet. Still, this morning's a dog playdate followed by dog friend here for a while - a human friend and I are getting our dogs used to being at each others' houses so we can leave them with each other when we want to go out for longer than we'd leave them alone, and eventually leave them for holidays. We did this without thinking with our old dogs, who got on really well and sadly both no longer with us, but we now have two year olds who are far more boisterous and, due to you-know-what, used to spending all their time in their own homes.

Off to an art exhibition this afternoon in which another friend has some work, going with a couple of friends, so that'll be good. Really starting to feel as if things are getting back to normal.

Have a good day all!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@hh1 That's we had done with our 2 dobies that are both now gone. We dropped them off at a friends for a few hours at first and then some overnights to get them used to staying at another house. They were spoiled there so that helped, she used to make them a plate of handmade dog treats while they were there and gave them to them throughout the day. But when we left to shop for our house here, it allowed us to be gone for the week and not worry (as much). Especially since my Kai was a diabetic. She had 3 very tiny dogs but they all got along famously.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I got Diabox to work with bluetooth!
Or rather, a German stranger on Fb found the solution and managed to give me a clear step by step instruction which even I could follow. In German :)

So today I plan to learn how to enter godmode in Diabox so I can calibrate, as Diabox reads even lower than Librelink, and that was reading too low in the first place. I had to turn off the low alarm, as it kept alarming me even in the lowest setting and while blood said I was well in the 5's or even higher.

Monday afternoon I'll get my first covid jab in the nearest bigger city. A city where you can buy stuff like smartwatches. This gives me the weekend to find out how a smartwatch works and what the cheapest watch is which will display my BG :D. Or perhaps I want a slightly less cheap watch if it's waterproof...

Do all smartwatches need you to touch the screen before showing anything or do some display all the time?
I'm all open to advice on watches as I've never even seen a smartwatch! It doesn't have to be able to do anything, except show my BG :)

Last edited:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, and it's a lovely morning here.

@Antje, wish I could help but I too know nothing about smartwatches.

@Marie 2 I won't kennel dogs, so leaving mine with a friend - human and dog! - is the ideal for me. Had a good visit today, except my visiting dog decided upstairs was the most interesting place of all. My own dog doesn't go upstairs without permission, so there's a bit of learning to do there, plus garden borders - my visitor treats all parts of the garden as walk-onable. We'll get there though, and they did have a lot of fun running (mainly!) on the grass.

Hope you all have a great Bank Holiday weekend - looks like it could be a good one to be outside for a change

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The calibrating of Diabox seems to be working quite well!
Which leaves me in the ridiculous situation where I constantly feel the urge to correct highs when the thing says I'm in the 6's or so, as for years this has meant I was around 8. Having a sensor which reads close to fingerpricks, and sometimes even a tad higher will take some time getting used to :hilarious:.
Luckily someone gave me a bunch of teststrips going out of date at the end of the month so I can test away as much as I like :)
She also gave me a couple of pots going out of date last february. Those strips seemed to give unstable readings, compared to my other meter so the going out of date seems to be a real thing. Although I expect they'll be ok for a couple more weeks.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I guess it depends on the brand? Or maybe in what conditions they are kept?

I had One Touch meters for years before I got my first Libre and my insurance would send me strips, but as soon as I got my first Libre I didn't test as much and I ended up with a huge stockpile. My husband used them and I used them and we are finally on the last couple of boxes a couple of years past their expiration. I got a new Contour meter because they are supposed to be more accurate and use it and still use my One Touch meters, I compare the One Touch to my Contour, first to see how it compared to the Contour readings, but now also to make sure the strips still work. The One Touch meters have always been within a few points of my Contour and that is using the old strips.

But I know some people have complained strips don't work well past expiration, so maybe the brand or the weather?

Reactions: hh1 and Antje77

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone
FB_IMG_1603107452053.jpg

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for posting this @urbanracer, am always interested in any new tech stuff that might make life with diabetes easier to manage. Hope your thumbs continuing to improve.

Reactions: urbanracer

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, another glorious day here. @urbanracer I'm not techy, admire those who are and create their own loops etc, though stuff about tech is always of interest, especially as we move closer and closer to things that don't require me to be tech savvy and create systems myself. How's the thumb?

On the topic of out-of-date test strips, I've never had any long enough to find out!;)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do have some ketone strips about to go out of date! But that's because I didn't do a good job of sorting the boxes in date order a few months back, then didn't need any for ages during the January/February.early March "educate the young" online phase of the year.

Glorious day of walking - apart from the couple who insisted on sitting down on the bench I was occupying as I'd just injected for lunch and not quite eaten enough to move safely. Apparently, I was very rude for objecting when they had asked if I minded then went ahead anyway.

I arrived home on a very splendid step count and a most acceptable blood sugar level. Just contemplating a spot of light weeding if it's cooler when I go and put the bins out in a minute. I am rebelling and letting the back garden grassed area run riot for a while, and just keeping the front garden neatly mown and weeded. Along with just trimming the hedge where it affects passers-by.

Tomorrow is Hair Cut day. First cut since last October other than the fringe trim I did before going back to the workplace on 8th March!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Do all smartwatches need you to touch the screen before showing anything or do some display all the time?
I'm all open to advice on watches as I've never even seen a smartwatch! It doesn't have to be able to do anything, except show my BG :)

Some apple and Samsung feature always on display
But has battery impact

Ticwatch pro I think it is has a unique second display for time and date