Eating low carb on ski holiday (Canada)

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, if all goes to plan, then I am in the very lucky position of skiing in Canada (Banff) in April 2022 for a fortnight. I'm Lada 1.5 but its early days so I mostly eat very low carb and avoid taking insulin - although I can take if needed. I don't have a basal - just use as and when according to carb intake. I know my ratios for ordinary life, but I know it could be tricky using insulin and doing full days skiing as exercise makes such a massive difference - so I would like to avoid injecting as much as possible and completely if possible - which will mean all low carb/high fat food. Hotel caters for special diets - so I won't starve (!) but I just wondered if, on the off chance, anyone has been there/lives there/has been skiing in similar circumstances and can offer me any advice??

Many thanks,
Em

Jo123

How lovely! The following is a copy of what I sent to a chalet company in Italy, it worked and they catered for me very well. I took some nuts as snacks.

"As discussed on the phone I have special dietary needs due to having type 2 diabetes, you said to let me know my dietary requirements once booked and it was no problem. As the booking form doesn't cover this requirement I am emailing you the details.
To keep my blood sugar absolutely normal I do not eat any sugar, breakfast cereal, rice, potatoes, pasta, pulses, pastry, bread, very little fruit, a very small amount of root veg, the only carbs I eat are in the form of green veg or salad stuff! Basically, I can eat the meat, fish, salad and vegetables in meals. For breakfast I should be fine with cold meat/cheese/eggs provided with a continental breakfast!"

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I admire your forward thinking but planning nearly a year ahead may leave you disappointed.
We are all different so only time will tell whether you will still not be on insulin when you go skiing.
My recommendation would be to have a backup plan to know how to manage taking insulin whilst exercising - many of us do it very successfully.

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
How lovely! The following is a copy of what I sent to a chalet company in Italy, it worked and they catered for me very well. I took some nuts as snacks.

"As discussed on the phone I have special dietary needs due to having type 2 diabetes, you said to let me know my dietary requirements once booked and it was no problem. As the booking form doesn't cover this requirement I am emailing you the details.
To keep my blood sugar absolutely normal I do not eat any sugar, breakfast cereal, rice, potatoes, pasta, pulses, pastry, bread, very little fruit, a very small amount of root veg, the only carbs I eat are in the form of green veg or salad stuff! Basically, I can eat the meat, fish, salad and vegetables in meals. For breakfast I should be fine with cold meat/cheese/eggs provided with a continental breakfast!"

Thank you - that is really helpful for loads of holidays!! I intend to copy it straight into an email to them!!
Em

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
I admire your forward thinking but planning nearly a year ahead may leave you disappointed.
We are all different so only time will tell whether you will still not be on insulin when you go skiing.
My recommendation would be to have a backup plan to know how to manage taking insulin whilst exercising - many of us do it very successfully.

Thank you - yes: that is sensible and I will aim to have all my bases covered before going away. I think it may be different exercising in the cold - have you experienced that at all? Thanks Em

Jo123

Pleased to help Em.
Banff is stunning, we've only visited in the summer I'd love to ski there.

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Pleased to help Em.
Banff is stunning, we've only visited in the summer I'd love to ski there.

:)It looks beautiful! How did you find eating out/restaurants? I've only ever once had a problem eating out locally when asking for food to be swopped about a bit (asked for cucumber or celery instead of bread with cheese and it couldn't be done (!) and it did knock my confidence a bit).

Em

Hotpepper20000

Hi, if all goes to plan, then I am in the very lucky position of skiing in Canada (Banff) in April 2022 for a fortnight. I'm Lada 1.5 but its early days so I mostly eat very low carb and avoid taking insulin - although I can take if needed. I don't have a basal - just use as and when according to carb intake. I know my ratios for ordinary life, but I know it could be tricky using insulin and doing full days skiing as exercise makes such a massive difference - so I would like to avoid injecting as much as possible and completely if possible - which will mean all low carb/high fat food. Hotel caters for special diets - so I won't starve (!) but I just wondered if, on the off chance, anyone has been there/lives there/has been skiing in similar circumstances and can offer me any advice??

Many thanks,
Em
I live in Calgary about 45 mins from Banff. I suspect you’ll be landing at our international airport.
Most restaurants are very accommodating. I ask for a salad instead of French fries or other starch.
Bun less burgers are usually no problem. Before Covid we would go twice a year for over nights and a couple of day trips. Ive never had any problems.
There is a decent sized grocery store with a deli and roasted whole chickens
Even McDonald’s will give you plain beef patties with a fork an knife.

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
I live in Calgary about 45 mins from Banff. I suspect you’ll be landing at our international airport.
Most restaurants are very accommodating. I ask for a salad instead of French fries or other starch.
Bun less burgers are usually no problem. Before Covid we would go twice a year for over nights and a couple of day trips. Ive never had any problems.
There is a decent sized grocery store with a deli and roasted whole chickens
Even McDonald’s will give you plain beef patties with a fork an knife.

Oh brilliant!! Thank you so very much :) it is great to hear that from a local - and I'm delighted to hear there's a deli with roasted whole chicken, which I love. Yes, we are flying into Calgary ...I have my fingers crossed that it will go ahead in these covid days as it's a trip of a lifetime. Its just short of a year away, so hopefully it will go ahead. How lovely that you live so close to those mountains!!!

Em

Hotpepper20000

Oh brilliant!! Thank you so very much :) it is great to hear that from a local - and I'm delighted to hear there's a deli with roasted whole chicken, which I love. Yes, we are flying into Calgary ...I have my fingers crossed that it will go ahead in these covid days as it's a trip of a lifetime. Its just short of a year away, so hopefully it will go ahead. How lovely that you live so close to those mountains!!!

Em
Yes I am very fortunate to live here.
The restrictions are lifting and I’m sure when you come next year it will be all good.

Jo123

Hi, I found it OK, although we stayed in smaller B&B's so a lot of breakfasts were quite carb heavy and it was sometimes a little problematic swapping out the carbs.
We stayed overnight in calgary and before driving out to Banff we stopped and bought a few big bags of nuts so I had something to snack on, I'd do this especially as when skiing as I find I get ravenous.