Timings on Diabetic Driving Licences

Trulee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All
Wondering if anyone can advise please - have literally, this morning, posted a renewal for my 3 year licence to DVLA. Did fill in the form online a couple of weeks ago (literally 90 days before it ran out) but then received the forms in the post at the weekend, including a new photocard application, so guessing I needed to fill this one in anyway as the card picture is so old. (I did try and contact DVLA on Friday, but absolutely impossible on chat or phone!!!!)

I did also put a note with the forms I posted this morning, that I had also filled in the information online.

However, my question is does anyone know how long they are taking to send licences out at the moment - even though my condition has not changed in the last 3 years I always panic that they will find a reason not to renew it, so sit here panicking until it arrives.

thanks all, any information appreciated

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi All
Wondering if anyone can advise please - have literally, this morning, posted a renewal for my 3 year licence to DVLA. Did fill in the form online a couple of weeks ago (literally 90 days before it ran out) but then received the forms in the post at the weekend, including a new photocard application, so guessing I needed to fill this one in anyway as the card picture is so old. (I did try and contact DVLA on Friday, but absolutely impossible on chat or phone!!!!)

I did also put a note with the forms I posted this morning, that I had also filled in the information online.

However, my question is does anyone know how long they are taking to send licences out at the moment - even though my condition has not changed in the last 3 years I always panic that they will find a reason not to renew it, so sit here panicking until it arrives.

thanks all, any information appreciated

I had to do a photo update on mine at the end of last year and still got it back within 7 days. DVLA Swansea has seen some industrial action with staff on strike and working-to-rule earlier this year, so there may still be a little backlog.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got mine back in a week not too long ago. The post office advised it was an 8 week wait so very please to have it back so quick. Having said that my son sent off his provisional a month ago & it’s still not back.

Trulee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had to do a photo update on mine at the end of last year and still got it back within 7 days. DVLA Swansea has seen some industrial action with staff on strike and working-to-rule earlier this year, so there may still be a little backlog.

Thank you

Trulee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I got mine back in a week not too long ago. The post office advised it was an 8 week wait so very please to have it back so quick. Having said that my son sent off his provisional a month ago & it’s still not back.

thank you

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
If it’s not back before it expires you can still drive for upto 12 months while the renew it

Trulee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If it’s not back before it expires you can still drive for upto 12 months while the renew it

I know I can, but did think it was indefinitely if they are renewing it/you are appealing a decision. This is slightly complicated by the fact that I was bought a 'stunt driving experience' for a big birthday last month which I need to book, but need to KNOW I will have my licence on the day otherwise I cant drive

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I know I can, but did think it was indefinitely if they are renewing it/you are appealing a decision. This is slightly complicated by the fact that I was bought a 'stunt driving experience' for a big birthday last month which I need to book, but need to KNOW I will have my licence on the day otherwise I cant drive

Nope it’s upto 12 months whilst they perform medical enquiries.. I only have a1 year license so go through it every year

Yes and car hire etc so fingers crossed

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I posted my forms off for a first issue of a photo ID card type licence three months ago and they might be somewhere close to the finish line now.

Umi2021

Hi in regards to this I just wanted to ask I’m treating my diabetes with diet only and saw somewhere online I don’t have to tell DVLA. Is this correct? Sorry so confused . In addition would I tell my insurance company when getting insurance or not

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi in regards to this I just wanted to ask I’m treating my diabetes with diet only and saw somewhere online I don’t have to tell DVLA. Is this correct? Sorry so confused . In addition would I tell my insurance company when getting insurance or not

No and no

It’s only if you use a treatment that could cause a hypo like insulin

Reactions: Umi2021

Trulee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good news, think the online, and post apps have crossed, but got a letter yesterday saying they will renew for another three years, but wanted a new photo card form filled in, so have done it and put it back in the post - thank goodness. My OH doesn't drive, so if I can't we are stuck!!

SteveGlover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
My 3 year licence expired at the end of March. I applied for it in good time (January) and returned all of the forms, but i've still not had the licence back. All attempts to contact the DVLA (phone, email, letter) have failed. What should I do next?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi
My 3 year licence expired at the end of March. I applied for it in good time (January) and returned all of the forms, but i've still not had the licence back. All attempts to contact the DVLA (phone, email, letter) have failed. What should I do next?
on going strikes.. the good news is, you can continue for goto 12 months under section 58 so long as you believe there is nothing to prevent your license being renewed

SteveGlover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
on going strikes.. the good news is, you can continue for goto 12 months under section 58 so long as you believe there is nothing to prevent your license being renewed
Thanks for your reply. I understand that, but my car has broken down and I can see that I will either need to hire a car or buy another, both options are difficult without a valid licence. I just don't know how to contact the DVLA, perhaps I can try through my doctors?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for your reply. I understand that, but my car has broken down and I can see that I will either need to hire a car or buy another, both options are difficult without a valid licence. I just don't know how to contact the DVLA, perhaps I can try through my doctors?

You doctor won’t have a special way.. and no you can’t hire…. You can buy just not test drive