Newly Diagnosed

ballipolly

Hello I wonder if someone can help please, I was recently diagnosed (before Christmas) with type2 and was given some packets of tablets and a magazine and told they would be in touch with me, so I am a bit confused and worried. I had no idea there were meters available to monitor your sugar levels until I got talking to someone in a restaurant over the festivities so first opportunity I purchased a ACCU-CHECK meter (Friday). I have been checking levels and although I have been taking 3 Metformin 500g tablets a day for the past 3 weeks there is very little difference in my readings in fact they are higher... when I went to the doctor the last time it was 13.7 and over the past two days it has varied between 10.7 and 21.4 these readings were taken first thing in the morning before food or 2 hours after food. I also have terribly blurred vision, sore heads, dry mouth, dizzy turns and have difficulty concentrating.
Apart from changing doctor does anyone have some advice? is there anything I can eat which would give quick relief? I eat a well balanced diet and am not overweight. Thanks

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
ballipolly,
Hi, welcome.
You say you eat a balanced diet, but what?
Diabetes is not just about sugar ALL carbohydrates get converted to sugars and raise BS.
I have since diagnosis, have greatly reduced my carb intake from my "Balanced Diet" I rarely eat cereal or cereal products. Breakfast for me is an egg or omlette most days.
Try noting down what you eat, and count up your carbohydrate intake.
Ask away on anything here, someone will probably experienced your situation and may be able to help.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi ballipolly and welcome to the forum :) Here is some information for new members including advice on diet. Try following this and see if your levels improve. I think you should go back to your doctor for more tests and/or medication as your levels are too high which is why you are not feeling well. Metformin at the full dose 2000mg (correct me if I'm wrong :) ) will only bring your levels down by 1 or 2 mmol/l so it's not enough for you. Ask as many questions as you like as we are all here to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates
A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

ballipolly

Thank you for your help I think I will have to change doctor and try again. Are the readings I have very high.....it looks like it is from the info you sent me.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
The readings in the information I gave you are, as stated there, the NICE recommended guidelines and it is advisable to keep your levels lower than those. So they are a maximum and your levels are too high, especially the 21.4 which is extremely high so you need to do something about it ASAP. So, definitely go out and find yourself a good doctor!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's good you have bought a meter. Metformin is the normal tablet start point. Note that although Met does help it doesn't have a great effect by itself. Diet and exercise are the main things and as others have said, keeping the carbs to low-GI, keep portion size sensible and spread meals during the day. Your GP may want to add further tablets as I have had to have over the years. What age are you and are you overweight; just checking that you fit the typical Type 2 susceptibility

ballipolly

Thank you for your reply.
No not overweight but not skinny, exercise at work probably walk 3 miles a day and eat all fresh food probably too many carbohydrates (will remedy)fruit and veg. That is why I am a bit confused why I ended up with diabetes we have always eaten sensibly and took exercise....anyway.
Is it better to have less carbo's and more meat(chicken)/fish, I have actually lost my appetite and eat smaller amounts more often now.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi ballypoly
I had very high BGs when diagnosed and was started on Metformin which didnt seem to have much effect but by finding this forum and cutting my carbs and testing 2 hours after food I have managed to get my levels down ,it does take time but it does work Testing is vital for instance if I have bacon and egg with mushrooms my levels go back within the 2 hours to 7.5 ish but when I added 1 large sausage it was 12.5 yet I can add 1 slice of Burgen bread with the bacon and egg I still get under 8 .There is no rhyme or reason to this crazy disease but if you stick with this forum and test you can have better control
CAROL

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ballipolly. Yes, it's generally better to have less carbs and more protein, veg, some fruit and fat is OK in sensible quantities and unsaturated is of course better. Be aware that Metformin is an appetite suppressant and can leave a metallic taste. It took 6 months for this taste to fade for me. The reason I asked your age is it's wise to bear in mind that if you are in, say, your 20s/30s it's always possible that you have one of the diabetes variants and not a straight Type 2. See how a diet and Metformin help you and discuss more options with your GP if the BS doesn't subside.

CJC42

Hi,
Last week I was taken into hospital with breathing difficulties. While there bloods were checked and a urine sample taken. I tested positive for key-tones and more blood was taken but that came back negative. I was then put on a saline drip, not once but twice. Finally before being discharged I was given a leaflet and told that a letter would be sent to my Doctor and that I should make an appointment to see them. The earliest appointment available is the middle of next week. I have bought myself a blood meter and severely reduced my carbohydrate intake but the results I am getting when testing my blood sugar level is either HI or 31 - 32 prior to eating. What more can I do to help myself?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi CJC and welcome to the forum :) One thing which could help you is to scroll up towards the top of this thread and read the information I posted. You have done the right thing to start testing and to cut down on carbohydrates. Make sure you test just before a meal then 2 hours after to see what effects each food has on your levels. Then ask as many questions as you like as there is always someone here to help. More members will be along with advice soon.

Grazer

CJC42 said:
Hi,
Last week I was taken into hospital with breathing difficulties. While there bloods were checked and a urine sample taken. I tested positive for key-tones and more blood was taken but that came back negative. I was then put on a saline drip, not once but twice. Finally before being discharged I was given a leaflet and told that a letter would be sent to my Doctor and that I should make an appointment to see them. The earliest appointment available is the middle of next week. I have bought myself a blood meter and severely reduced my carbohydrate intake but the results I am getting when testing my blood sugar level is either HI or 31 - 32 prior to eating. What more can I do to help myself?
Hi CJ. I see from your profile you've been put on insulin - is that right? In which case, you need to get some serious knowledge quickly about doseage levels vs. carbohydrate levels etc. If you're on insulin, you can't just follow the advice above, and you can't just go low carb without knowing the impact with insulin. You say you've bought a meter though; that would normally be provided if you're on insulin, with much more guidance. Have you made a mistake saying you're on insulin?

DibblyX

Hi Ballipolly,
im male 39 and been very healthy all my life, very active and fit with good weight, and I have been diagnosed with type2 diabetes in December 2011, i put my condition down to cronic stress, as i've had an incredably hard year, personnel losses and loosing my job etc..there is little info on stress as a factor??..well im no expert, but having been diagnosed with the same condition as you at the same time you have to accept you have a potentially serious condition if you don't manage it correctly! I read through your write up and all the symptums your suffering with i was having, so i empathise with your position totally!! you will be asigned a Diabetic Nurse on a weekly basis, until your condition is managed correctly, if you don't get a call from your GP Surgery then please call them promptly, its your health...One of the things i was doing wrong was taking the tables at the wrong time!, that makes all the difference and you have to accept that you have a potentially serious condition if your fail to mannage it correctly. Your have to adopt a good diet, brown rice, brown bread, 2/3rds vegtables and only 1/3rd meat, i've adopted this on a daily basis and my suger has lowed alot, you can eat ocationally junk food, but try not to make it more than once a week, avoid white rice, white bread and processed meats!...if you adopt the above you will see a big drop in your suger levels, browner and veg take longer to digest and slower release of Carborhidrates, White bread for example will digest quicky in your system and your boby has a big influx Carbs and your pancrias cant produce enough insuline to proccess this type of food. Managing your diabetes is essential for a long anh healthy life. My eye sight was the only visable symptum i had and feeling very tired!, but when a healthy diet with tablets (I'm on Glicazmide), they seem to work very well for me, so make sure you have the right meds if not ask to change another type, but your eye sight will recover, it took a month to get my sight back, that was a big relief!..good luck. Duane.

bystander

Hi Dibbly, if you do a net search using the words, 'stress, diabetes' you will find a lot of information. Here is just one site.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/diabetes/how-stress-affects-diabetes.htm