What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning everyone from a bright and sunny start here at our little house on the prairie.
The wonder wheel salad with boiled eggs and crew-ditties came in at 5.1 this am

Another hot day yesterday - we all wandered round slathered in sun cream like extras in some badly made documentary about living with mud in the land before time. Paddling pool - but not a pump adaptor in sight - quick dash to a nearby garden centre - £4.99 lighter and the job is done. Splish, splash and any grass can be scooped out with a tennis raquette!

Today - a tree - seem to be a lot about - hope everyone is enjoying this weather - time for koffy and Nutella sandwich making.

upload_2021-6-2_7-22-40.jpeg

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is where I get annoyed with Swipey - after two days of what I would expect it is now reading as low. 3.2 - I cannot believe that is true after having a cup of coffee and been up working already. I have taken off the vet wrap I use to protect it from door frames leaping out at me and it perked up to 4.2 which was more like it and then dropped back again.

This is why I might just stop using them, take the tablets and do what that muppet diagnosing GP originally told me which was 'take what I give you, shut up and come back every 6-12 months and stop being proactive'

Even though I finally have money coming in, which was why I put one on again, I HATE wasting money and only 3 days in this feels like a waste of money. I might use up the remaining two and then give up altogether and just eat lowish carb, take metformin and work out and hope that is enough.

At least it is sunny.

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Sun. shorts (no socks) salad, Test Match and granddaughter today. Numbers, schumbers. A sinister/ironic? version of Magic Roundabout is already playing out in full 84 inch splendour (Gandalf has lent his voice) - she seems satisfied. 4.9 on Swipey here - black polo and grey shorts probably as causative as any LC intervention IMHO. Could even be the moon in the seventh house and Jupiter aligning with Mars. Great art from @gennepher, so intricate. @dunelm, yesterday sounds magical, long may it continue. @geefull more wonderful art then pangs of homesickness for me - oh bonfires, how I yearn for thee. So much more fun than skips and well dug in ash does wonders for rhubarb and potatoes. Pick the bones out of that lot crew.

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

4.9 today

got up later today, it was a bit warm for good sleep last night, we've got all the skylights etc. open today ;)

the weather has been very warm today with some cloudy periods but we went over to mum's to get her shopping list for our weekly trip tomorrow.
Mum tells us that one of mr gee's cousins may be coming to visit in a couple of weeks ( lockdown permitting :angelic:), so we have a list of the 'supplies' required, things such as ready made pizza crusts and diet coke :p

We finished chopping down the bulk of the hedge killed by the heavy frosts, no signs of regrowth so 'off with it's head' :hilarious: and had a splendid bonfire :D

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@SlimLizzy - looks like hard work, good fortune to your residency application :)

@Muddy Cyclist - looks like a good time being had :) and a delightful pencil sketch of that tree, very well drawn :joyful:

@dunelm - fun times :) I do like the contrasts in the palette you've used, very pleasing.
Nutella....wonder if I can find a LC recipe :D

@lindisfel - Mum loves her self propelling mower ( she usually cuts the little lawn near the front gate), but I tend to use it without engaging the clutch for the self propelling bit ;):sorry:

@Krystyna23040 - yes lucky it's under warranty those garage bills can be mean :arghh:

@gennepher - today's painting has a nice subtle palette and the foliage has a pleasing delicate stylisation, Lin Fengmian has inspired some fine paintings :)

art bit -
inspired by a photo seen on the net, painted on Fabriano Studio

View attachment 49744
Thank you and yes family holidays are lovely..

A nice Valley scene from you and good use of colour and distant light to give that depth.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning everyone from a bright and sunny start here at our little house on the prairie.

Another hot day yesterday - we all wandered round slathered in sun cream like extras in some badly made documentary about living with mud in the land before time. Paddling pool - but not a pump adaptor in sight - quick dash to a nearby garden centre - £4.99 lighter and the job is done. Splish, splash and any grass can be scooped out with a tennis raquette!

Today - a tree - seem to be a lot about - hope everyone is enjoying this weather - time for koffy and Nutella sandwich making.

View attachment 49750
Wow, did you visit Wales during the night? That tree looks just like Mrs MCs Bonsai which we had to bring on holiday with us.:)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 this morning. We have booked lunch in the garden of The Dales Country House Hotel today. It backs onto Sheringham Park - so will.have a lovely walk around Sheringham Park first. Have just looked at the menu and think that I will have Sea Bass.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all. Sun. shorts (no socks) salad, Test Match and granddaughter today. Numbers, schumbers. A sinister/ironic? version of Magic Roundabout is already playing out in full 84 inch splendour (Gandalf has lent his voice) - she seems satisfied. 4.9 on Swipey here - black polo and grey shorts probably as causative as any LC intervention IMHO. Could even be the moon in the seventh house and Jupiter aligning with Mars. Great art from @gennepher, so intricate. @dunelm yesterday sounds magical, long may it continue. @geefull more wonderful art then pangs of homesickness for me - oh bonfires, how I yearn for thee. So much more fun than skips and well dug in ash does wonders for rhubarb and potatoes. Pick the bones out of that lot crew.
Thanks @ianpspurs:)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

View attachment 49750
A great twisty tree @dunelm
:)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is why I might just stop using them, take the tablets and do what that muppet diagnosing GP originally told me which was 'take what I give you, shut up and come back every 6-12 months and stop being proactive'
That's exactly what I did for 4 years. Except that it was insulin not metformin. It didn't go well and after 4 years I was well on the way to foot amputation and blindness.

Being proactive and ignoring advice from my HCPs really worked for me. I don't use swipey as I didn't find that it was consistently accurate. All the finger pricking is a bit barbaric but seems to be more accurate for me and has really helped me work out the level of carbs that keeps me ok. Sadly that level of carbs is only 20g a day at the moment.

Another 4 years later not at all at risk of foot amputation nor blindness and that is with no insulin or any meds whatsoever.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and 5.6 for me today.

Another sunny warm start so looks like more time in the sea, I'm getting very crinkled and squeaky clean. :angelic:

Returning from the Beach after an evening of fun.

IMG_4888.JPG

A too busy beach for us so we go down late afternoon.

IMG_4889.JPG

Keep safe and be bold.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's exactly what I did for 4 years. Except that it was insulin not metformin. It didn't go well and after 4 years I was well on the way to foot amputation and blindness.

Being proactive and ignoring advice from my HCPs really worked for me. I don't use swipey as I didn't find that it was consistently accurate. All the finger pricking is a bit barbaric but seems to be more accurate for me and has really helped me work out the level of carbs that keeps me ok. Sadly that level of carbs is only 20g a day at the moment.

Another 4 years later not at all at risk of foot amputation nor blindness and that is with no insulin or any meds whatsoever.
@Krystyna23040 that is an amazing journey which shows how testing, rigorous analysis and eating to the meter works wonders far beyond the dismal prognosis of most GPs. It offers hope and inspiration. This approach does seem to either work wonders as per you, @geefull and others or be a disappointment for those like myself and @RFSMarch. I do wish there was a test to tell which category one would fall into before embarking on the journey. Like outstanding sports people one can research what they eat, how they train, use the same kit etc and emulate them as much as one can. The results just aren't the same. All one can do is to try one's hardest. Enjoy your lunch and once again, you show what is possible. It is way beyond me but I salute you and empathise hugely with Rossington Bear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krystyna23040

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.

8.15am FBG 6.5

We didn't get lunch in the medieval walled city. I didn't think it would be so difficult to find a suitable meal when there were about twenty different places offering food.

BUT

By the time I had ruled out

Pizza,

Sandwiches

Galettes and crêpes

Burger and chips,

Cakes

Ice cream

Donner kebabs

Only two places left.... and they had all tables reserved....

Was feeling guilty because any of those would have been fine for MrSlim, and walking in cities is not comfortable for him.

Sometimes this Low Carb eating is a real nightmare. We ended up going back to a familiar place in a town near to home, where MrSlim ate Duck Needles (aguillettes) in pepper sauce with a mountain of chips.

I had gesiers( look that up if you like) with bacon lardons and a very adventurous salad, by French standards anyway, not only lettuce, but tomato and Apple slices as well. Portion was so large I couldn't eat all of it.
Spent a pleasant couple of hours at our local bar
In the evening we had smoked salmon, prawns and asparagus, naughty me had bread and butter too. And a cake. Far too much fizz was consumed.
MrSlim insisted I had a cake, so I chose the most garish
20210601_194359.jpg
20210601_203441.jpg
20210601_164728.jpg

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Had noted and did see free libre recently
Just to assess its worth.

Before trying for one month's data to pour over.

Seems the app which WAS required, was very phone specific...and mine might be one that was only a "might" work...ho hum

I went to play store, to check it out app,
Reviews were abysmal.
Running from last a day, poor support,.. can't read try later, seemed the most regular review complaint, etc etc.

Sure for some it works well, but after seeing that, I doubt i would bother wasting the money , perhaps if type 1 IF on prescription, it may be worth it

But for me it just looks too much like try & hope it's in some way close or useful

Btw, fantastic turnaround by you

Brilliant that such fierce determination can reverse a condition learned "professionals" :rolleyes:

Seem to believe is a lost cause :banghead:

You are an inspiration....BRAVO

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had noted and did see free libre recently
Just to assess its worth.

Before trying for one month's data to pour over.

Seems the app which WAS required, was very phone specific...and mine might be one that was only a "might" work...ho hum

I went to play store, to check it out app,
Reviews were abysmal.
Running from last a day, poor support,.. can't read try later, seemed the most regular review complaint, etc etc.

Sure for some it works well, but after seeing that, I doubt i would bother wasting the money , perhaps if type 1 IF on prescription, it may be worth it

But for me it just looks too much like try & hope it's in some way close or useful

Btw, fantastic turnaround by you

Brilliant that such fierce determination can reverse a condition learned "professionals" :rolleyes:

Seem to believe is a lost cause :banghead:

You are an inspiration....BRAVO
Good idea to do due diligence @jjraak considering the cost of the Swipey system. Abbott are very good at replacing obviously faulty sensors and readers, plus giving advice. I am sceptical about the accuracy but also was about stabbo. Wide variation between pots, strips, fingers and hands. Never really near A1c. I would have stopped testing had I stuck with Stabbo - utterly demotivated. With Swipey I scan probably 15+ times a day pre-meal, few times before 2 hrs +delay, random checks, pre-sleep and fbg. Only fbg and post meal in the end with Stabbo. I may well be disillusioned come A1c but I have stuck it out 14 months longer, so far, due to Swipey. Just shows how different we all are and what works for one won't work for another. Have I ever said N=1?;)

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A couple of Beach drawings in pencil. Rushed between playing in the sea, castle building and then defending it against the incoming tide, no contest. :)

A4 coloured pencil...
IMG_4892.JPG

Sorry second is a little out of focus, whoops.:)