Could Gliclazide Be The Cause Of My Problems?

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I have been takeing Gliclazide on and off for a while but this year i thought i would stick to it and ever since then i have suffered from stomach cramps and by march anxiety started kicking in.

My doctor says" there is no side effects to Gliclazide" yet my diabetic nurse say "you may put weight on"

Ive been to doctors 15 times this year with stomach and anxiety problems and im due a mild colonoscopy and seeing a shrink in November.

So after 8 months ive stop taking them just to see what would happen.

6 days in and i dont seem to have the heavyness of the cramps and last night i pretty much felt like my old self.

Im going to leave it for a month to see how i am.

My bg went high but now dropping as i increase the protein.

Ive tryied metformin normal and slow release
Both not good for me.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I found this site which puts abdominal pain as the first in its list of side effects at the 80mg dosage.

https://chealth.canoe.com/drug/getdrug/gliclazide-80

Please see your GP or DN and inform them of your decision to discontinue your medication and be sure to test your levels a little more than you normally would - keep a really close eye on them. Best wishes.

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
I am one of the lucky ones and never had any issues with this drug even on an empty stomach!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Medicine side sffects is all about numbers
No drug is completely risk free as all drugs can cause side effects in some people ( as can not taking drugs) - side effect rates below a certain % Means a drug is considered safe as it is fine for the vast majority of people.
Ive taken Gliclazide for over 20years without side effects but had a major adverse reaction to Ciprofloxacin ( a “safe” antibiotic) that led to me being hospitalised, Im also allergic to penacillin
I’d say always report possible side effects to your doctor, but never assume that one persons experienced side effect will be shown by any other person

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Gliclazide normally has no noticeable side effects but there will always be exceptions so tell the GP. Your nurse has made the common mistake of saying Gliclazide can cause weight gain. It doesn't but it enables the body to produce more insulin which allows the body to metabolise more carbs and it's these carbs that can cause the weight gain. The same mistake is made with insulin. So, control the carbs as these can cause weight gain as well as higher blood sugar levels.

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well im on 7th day and the 8 months worth of **** are almost gone as well as the anxiety.
My bg have shot up to 8mmol and high of 16mmol (after consuming bread lol)
The main thing is just to loose the weight which i am with high protein diet

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I might be able to help in some small way if you have a polish delicatessen handy there is a high protein quite bread-like substance, 'chleb proteinowy' made by Mestemacher bakery sold in 5 slice packs, and rather expensive, but it is only 7.5 percent carbs.
The pack is 250gm - and it is a bread, just not like the fluffy white stuff.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
My doctor says" there is no side effects to Gliclazide"
This from NHS UK:

Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if these side effects bother you or don't go away:
  • stomach ache.
  • feeling sick (nausea)
  • being sick (vomiting)
  • indigestion.
  • diarrhoea.
  • constipation.
yet my diabetic nurse say "you may put weight on"

Personally I had been losing weight quite happily having come off Rosiglitazone. That weight loss stopped and in fact reversed when prescribed Gliclazide. As a drug that encourages the pancreas to produce more insulin, I'm not surprised. THankfully my low carb (<40gms per day) diet means I no longer have to take Gliclazide (or Januvia).

. . . . .i'm due a mild colonoscopy

Mild? An interesting concept. I've had 5 or 6 now, I took the sedatives on offer and never felt a thing.

Is that along with lowering carb?

Ive tried metformin normal and slow release. Both not good for me.

Gave me a lot of grief as well, like most people. I did find that lower carb made a big difference and it's all I take for diabetes now.

One thing I would suggest is having a look at the Yellow Card system at https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/. Not only can you see how it has affected other people but you can report the affects that drugs have on you. We're all different so it is important to record side effects. It would improve the chances of NOT having to listen to yet another GP tell you that there are no side effects. Apart from the leaflet that comes with drugs, the NHS web sites are quite good at stating the side effects and then of course there is the NICE BNF website at https://bnf.nice.org.uk/

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was prescribed Gliclazide but I just felt so nauseous that I really didn't like it. Went back to GP and was changed to Glipizide. Glipizide, for me, is fine. I don't feel any unwanted side effects at all, so it has been a good swap.

Regarding losing weight while taking Gliclazide or Glipizide, I was warned these meds could cause me to gain weight but I started on LCHF, plus a bit of walking (having mobility issues so I do struggle re exercise) and managed to lose 3 stone!!! I've been stuck at this weight for a while but must make some efforts to cut back on some of the foods I eat in order to lose some more.

As already mentioned, as you're not tolerating the Gliclazide, do go back to see your GP, explain how you're not tolerating them and ask for an alternative. There are plenty alternatives available ;)

techdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
This happened to me while using this drug but reported it and was swapped to Canagliflozin now no issues don't suffer get it changed.

Jack111

I wouldn't touch Gliclazide again with a ten foot poll. Put on so much weight. The drug company rep just kept pushing it so they can make more money. What a surprise

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I wouldn't touch Gliclazide again with a ten foot poll. Put on so much weight. The drug company rep just kept pushing it so they can make more money. What a surprise

Gliclazide is one of the frontline T2 drugs (usually applied if metformin does not work or isn't tolerated). It encourages the pancreas to make more insulin and works well for many. (If we're going for personal experriences, my 90yo T2 dad used it successfully for a number of years without apparent side effects, though he was able to drop it after he adopted a low carb diet.) Personally, I'd regard it as one of the more benign T2 drugs, but as the others have said, most drugs have some people who can't take them.

Ive tryied metformin normal and slow release
Both not good for me.

Go back to your GP and explain that the gliclazide does not agree with you. High blood sugars are really bad for you long term so if you can't reduce your bgs by reducing your carb intake then I suspect that you'll be best off getting some medication.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Gliclazide makes you release more insulin

So just like insulin it will make you use/store all the energy from what you eat

so just like insulin you need to be careful what you eat to prevent this gain..

There are alternatives that you can try if you go back to your care team and ask for alternatives..

Gliclazide works well for many.. but like any drug there are side effects so how everyone will tolerate it differs .
Even metformin which if the drug of choice does have side effects

I hope you find an alternative that works for you