Diagnosed yesterday

Mattrblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the morning your liver dumps glucose to get you some energy to start the day. It usually knocks it off when you eat something. So on fasting days it may take a while for it to get a clue, and while you're trying to get rid of stored glucose, which you could still have a lot of, it might as well get dumped, so it's on it's way out. Not something to worry much about. I would say, if you're seeing double digits, then 75 grams of carbs may be too much still... Fasting's a excellent idea, no problem with that at all, but when you do eat you might want to opt for nutrient dense, no to low carb foods... Maybe 20 grams?
Thanks Jo, very interesting, yeah I can do that no problem. I'll make sure its just 20 grams tonight and then take another reading. Then a nice omlette tomorrow morning!

Onlinecaroline

Welcome @Mattrblue it can take a while to get your head round everything but this forum is a fantastic place to start.

I was diagnosed in January, a fasting blood sugar of 11.8 and an HBca1 of 88.

I stick to around 25g of carbs a day; an average week day is usually 3 boiled eggs mashed with butter for breakfast, lunch is leftovers/ low carb sandwich/ cheese and flax seed crackers with a sugar free jelly normally and dinner is usually something along the lines of steak, mushrooms and creamed spinach, pork belly, aubergine lasagne. Lots of choice at dinner time I feel. Usually followed by some dark chocolate and a cup of tea. Don’t be scared of butter, cheese or olive oil.

Following this from January till now I have lowered by hbca1 to 35 and have a fasting blood sugar of around 6. I’ve also lost 3 stone. My husband who isn’t diabetic now eats the same way and has lost almost 8 stone in the same time.

You can do it! It just takes a bit of adjusting!

Reactions: SLLH and Mattrblue

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mattrblue I always recommend M&S Simply Food their 3 for £7 range in the deli section. Check out Rollitos (cigar shaped cheese rolled in ham, 3 different varieties) packets of cooked chicken thighs, mini peppers stuffed with goats cheese, cooked salt & pepper calamari, probs other little pots I cannot remember, then look at their “Just Add” range of single portion tasty meats and fish also 3 for £7. Perfect for lunch, my OH sometimes has the Rollitos as a fast breakfast before going out and he’s not diabetic. Add pots of egg mayo and coleslaw, mixed salad, perfect for busy people.
Its just a different mindset, we have all been there. Best wishes.

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mattrblue welcome to the forum, nice place where you live (according to the pic)

Many good suggestions have been given. Let me reiterate
1) Don't panic. you need to find out for yourself what works

There is lots of info (youtube and books) if you want to find out more
many of us have read "The Diabetes Code" by Jason Fung

In addition, consider intermittent fasting, there are many possibilities
5+2 where two days you restrict your calories to 600 and only low carb food
16+8, where you eat all your meals within 8 hours, e.g.late breakfast or early dinner, easy if you skip one of these.
1 meal a day, ...
Intermittent fasting has been honed during evolution of humans, if hunt was unsuccessful,
there was no or little food and body knows how to adapt by burning off (actually breathing out) fat.
good luck and best wishes

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattrblue

Mattrblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lupf, the Isle of Man is beautiful, you should visit one day... can I ask a silly question, what is meant by ‘fasting blood sugar/level’ is that the level when you wake up?

Reactions: jjraak and Lupf

Dominic71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi

What a strange new reality I find myself in. I was diagnosed with Type 2 yesterday afternoon. I'm in complete shock, whilst at the same time really annoyed and upset with myself.
I am 49 and 18.5 stone, I piled on a couple of extra stone during the last 2 years, death of parents, lockdown etc (I'm not making excuses) it's just reality. Now I find myself here.

For extra spice, I have been on blood pressure and Cholesterol tablets for 10 years now... perhaps thinking I was invincible....

I literally have no idea where to start now. The nurse from my GP gave me the news over the phone yesterday and asked me to arrange another set of blood tests within the next couple of weeks and then book an appointment to see her.

And this is where I find myself....

Hi I was diagnosed 3 months ago exactly and spent 3 days in hospital. My hba1c was 124. I am also 49 but I was 165kg. I almost cried the first night I spent in hospital at what I had done to myself. Now 3 months on, I have stopped taking all the meds my GP prescribed me, that was 4 days ago. My blood sugar levels are pretty constant between 5.3 and 5.6. I read so much, asked questions on forums, watched YouTube videos and the thing that changed the game for me was Dr.Mosleys blood sugar diet. I knew I had to go extreme but I was so determined to put my diabetes into remission. So I did the 800 calorie diet (helps that I am a chef, to keep meals interesting). I had one 400 calorie meal at lunchtime and then at 8pm I have a Huel black edition shake which is 400cals. I have 1 coffee in the morning and drink plenty of water.
I have been doing this for 7 weeks, I "fast for 16 hours a day" and do about 45 mins exercise a day, 30 minute walk and 15 mins on the exercise bike. During that time I have lost 35kg since my diagnosis. Just last week I started back at work so hoping that it will be easier to lose the other 40 kg that I want to lose. Initially I stopped taking the gliclazide tablet at the beginning of the diet and then halfway through I dropped from 4 metformin tablets a day to 2 a day and now I am free of meds for diabetes. I am also taking blood pressure meds and have been for 20 years, and at that time I was only 14 stone, so for me to get rid of those is gonna be harder.
It is like a sledgehammer when you get told, but believe me, give the blood sugar diet a go. I can not praise Dr Mosley enough.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lupf, the Isle of Man is beautiful, you should visit one day... can I ask a silly question, what is meant by ‘fasting blood sugar/level’ is that the level when you wake up?

Hi there, it is the level when you wake up as you have not eaten (ie fasted) for a period of 8 hours or whatever whilst you're sleeping, fasting also refers to any other period of time when you haven't eaten, usually for a period of 4/5 hours, ie inbetween meals.

Reactions: jjraak

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I almost cried the first night I spent in hospital at what I had done to myself.

Please don't blame yourself. You are not responsible for your genetics combined with the high carb so called healthy diet pushed by the food industry and many medical professionals.

Reactions: Ruaidhri

Mattrblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I was diagnosed 3 months ago exactly and spent 3 days in hospital. My hba1c was 124. I am also 49 but I was 165kg. I almost cried the first night I spent in hospital at what I had done to myself. Now 3 months on, I have stopped taking all the meds my GP prescribed me, that was 4 days ago. My blood sugar levels are pretty constant between 5.3 and 5.6. I read so much, asked questions on forums, watched YouTube videos and the thing that changed the game for me was Dr.Mosleys blood sugar diet. I knew I had to go extreme but I was so determined to put my diabetes into remission. So I did the 800 calorie diet (helps that I am a chef, to keep meals interesting). I had one 400 calorie meal at lunchtime and then at 8pm I have a Huel black edition shake which is 400cals. I have 1 coffee in the morning and drink plenty of water.
I have been doing this for 7 weeks, I "fast for 16 hours a day" and do about 45 mins exercise a day, 30 minute walk and 15 mins on the exercise bike. During that time I have lost 35kg since my diagnosis. Just last week I started back at work so hoping that it will be easier to lose the other 40 kg that I want to lose. Initially I stopped taking the gliclazide tablet at the beginning of the diet and then halfway through I dropped from 4 metformin tablets a day to 2 a day and now I am free of meds for diabetes. I am also taking blood pressure meds and have been for 20 years, and at that time I was only 14 stone, so for me to get rid of those is gonna be harder.
It is like a sledgehammer when you get told, but believe me, give the blood sugar diet a go. I can not praise Dr Mosley enough.
That is amazing mate... well done.

Mattrblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone know what the different mmol/L levels are? I.e. prediabetic and diabetic

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone know what the different mmol/L levels are? I.e. prediabetic and diabetic
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html might help a little, but prediabetes is usually determined with a HbA1c, which is measured in mmol/mol rather than mmol/l. (If it's between 42 and 48 mmol/mol it's considered prediabetic. Anything above that is diabetic.). Basically you want to keep your levels under 8,5, and if possible, your fasting bloods under 6 or so. I am useless with numbers though so others might have better mmol/l numbers for you.

Mattrblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mattrblue I always recommend M&S Simply Food their 3 for £7 range in the deli section. Check out Rollitos (cigar shaped cheese rolled in ham, 3 different varieties) packets of cooked chicken thighs, mini peppers stuffed with goats cheese, cooked salt & pepper calamari, probs other little pots I cannot remember, then look at their “Just Add” range of single portion tasty meats and fish also 3 for £7. Perfect for lunch, my OH sometimes has the Rollitos as a fast breakfast before going out and he’s not diabetic. Add pots of egg mayo and coleslaw, mixed salad, perfect for busy people.
Its just a different mindset, we have all been there. Best wishes.
Got a selection of these today!! thanks.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Mattrblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a quick update, not that I'm guessing you guys need to hear this haha, but I have lost 7 pounds in 1 week and my readings are now into the single figures... I'll just keep pushing on. I have a follow-up blood test at the end of June to confirm the diagnosis so hopefully that wont come back quite as harsh.. :wacky: cutting carbs has so far been surprisingly easy....

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a quick update, not that I'm guessing you guys need to hear this haha, but I have lost 7 pounds in 1 week and my readings are now into the single figures... I'll just keep pushing on. I have a follow-up blood test at the end of June to confirm the diagnosis so hopefully that wont come back quite as harsh.. :wacky: cutting carbs has so far been surprisingly easy....
Gets easier with time and as the weight continues to drop off you'll get even more motivated.
If the loss slows a bit don't worry a lot of the initial whoosh is excess water but it should continue at a more sustainable pace.

Reactions: Mattrblue