What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant that such fierce determination can reverse a condition learned "professionals" :rolleyes:

Seem to believe is a lost cause :banghead:
Thank you @jjraak. I must admit that the only reason that low carb worked for me was the alternative to low carb was a complete nightmare. I was willing to try absolutely anything to save my sight and my right foot. The Panorama programme helped tremendously by highlighting the horrors of foot amputations.

I love sweet carby food and it was so so hard to give it up. I would be queuing for coffee in a coffee shop and the only way to stop myself from buying a sweet treat to go with the coffee was to repeat over and over again in my head the mantra 'what would I prefer - keep my eyes and my feet or eat the sweet treat '. Luckily eyes and feet always won. So I suppose in the end I brainwashed myself.

I believed when I started low carb that, because it was highly likely that I had undiagnosed diabetes for at least 20 years, the best outcome I could hope for was to halt the progression of the foot and eye issues and cut down the amount of insulin I was injecting. Remission and reversal was only for people who had been diagnosed relatively recently.

I really struggle with remission and reversal and diabetes resolved - which I am now coded as because I cannot eat more than 20g carbs a day. My body cannot cope with carbs and it looks like it never will.

Am I any different from someone who is severely allergic to peanuts. If they don't eat peanuts they are ok. But if they eat peanuts they are definitely not ok. The only difference is that carbs were killing me slowly. So they haven't reversed their peanut allergy and I haven't reversed my diabetes. All we are doing is avoiding a substance that is very harmful to us.

I may be over thinking this and of course I am so grateful that there was a treatment that saved my eyes and feet, but no way do I feel that I have beaten diabetes. It is always there - waiting to pounce if I backslide back into carb land.

Last edited:

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

4.6 today

a misty morning for our shopping trip but then the sun came out so we took our salad over to Mum's and sat in the garden after we dropped off her shopping :D

Cooking a couple of packs of heck sausages I got at reduced price this evening ;)

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@gennepher - another well painted scene, the water is glowing and lucid with those hints of blue green :) I like it.

@dunelm - I love today's tree, the trunk has such a great dynamic form contrasted with the lighter foliage and other textures, works really well :)

@Krystyna23040 - very well done you :joyful:

@Muddy Cyclist - looks good, but as you say rather busy during the day.
Lovely pencil sketches, you seem to have cracked working those coloured pencils :)

@SlimLizzy - eating out can be a bit of a lottery sometimes can't it?

One of the funniest things I've seen was my mum's face when her beautiful vegetable terrine starter arrived, (we were touring in Normandy and she was trying to avoid seafood just for a change), perched on their legs on top of the terrine glaring back at her were a couple of whopping cooked freshwater crayfish :hilarious:

art bit -

windy day, painted on Hahnemuhle Britannia
upload_2021-6-2_18-40-32.jpeg

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
that is an amazing journey which shows how testing, rigorous analysis and eating to the meter works wonders far beyond the dismal prognosis of most GPs. It offers hope and inspiration. This approach does seem to either work wonders as per you
I am really lucky that the horror of the side effects of diabetes is no longer my reality and that I don't need to do lots of testing as long as I keep to the 20g carbs a day.

I am doing a bit more testing at the moment until I am sure that adding more protein won't derail my progress.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am really lucky that the horror of the side effects of diabetes is no longer my reality and that I don't need to do lots of testing as long as I keep to the 20g carbs a day.

I am doing a bit more testing at the moment until I am sure that adding more protein won't derail my progress.
Luck? Seems to me you are the epitome of the Gary Player (tongue in cheek) quote: the harder I practise the luckier I get

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

8.15am FBG 6.5

We didn't get lunch in the medieval walled city. I didn't think it would be so difficult to find a suitable meal when there were about twenty different places offering food.

BUT

By the time I had ruled out

Pizza,

Sandwiches

Galettes and crêpes

Burger and chips,

Cakes

Ice cream

Donner kebabs

Only two places left.... and they had all tables reserved....

Was feeling guilty because any of those would have been fine for MrSlim, and walking in cities is not comfortable for him.

Sometimes this Low Carb eating is a real nightmare. We ended up going back to a familiar place in a town near to home, where MrSlim ate Duck Needles (aguillettes) in pepper sauce with a mountain of chips.

I had gesiers( look that up if you like) with bacon lardons and a very adventurous salad, by French standards anyway, not only lettuce, but tomato and Apple slices as well. Portion was so large I couldn't eat all of it.
Spent a pleasant couple of hours at our local bar
In the evening we had smoked salmon, prawns and asparagus, naughty me had bread and butter too. And a cake. Far too much fizz was consumed.
MrSlim insisted I had a cake, so I chose the most garish
View attachment 49753View attachment 49754View attachment 49755
Oh I do love a warm gesiers salad - food looks fabulous. Can’t wait until I can get back to France and visit family.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @jjraak. I must admit that the only reason that low carb worked for me was the alternative to low carb was a complete nightmare. I was willing to try absolutely anything to save my sight and my right foot. The Panorama programme helped tremendously by highlighting the horrors of foot amputations.

I love sweet carby food and it was so so hard to give it up. I would be queuing for coffee in a coffee shop and the only way to stop myself from buying a sweet treat to go with the coffee was to repeat over and over again in my head the mantra 'what would I prefer - keep my eyes and my feet or eat the sweet treat '. Luckily eyes and feet always won. So I suppose in the end I brainwashed myself.

I believed when I started low carb that, because it was highly likely that I had undiagnosed diabetes for at least 20 years, the best outcome I could hope for was to halt the progression of the foot and eye issues and cut down the amount of insulin I was injecting. Remission and reversal was only for people who had been diagnosed relatively recently.

I really struggle with remission and reversal and diabetes resolved - which I am now coded as because I cannot eat more than 20g carbs a day. My body cannot cope with carbs and it looks like it never will.

Am I any different from someone who is severely allergic to peanuts. If they don't eat peanuts they are ok. But if they eat peanuts they are definitely not ok. The only difference is that carbs were killing me slowly. So they haven't reversed their peanut allergy and I haven't reversed my diabetes. All we are doing is avoiding a substance that is very harmful to us.

I may be over thinking this and of course I am so grateful that there was a treatment that saved my eyes and feet, but no way do I feel that I have beaten diabetes. It is always there - waiting to pounce if I backslide back into carb land.

I love the idea of "Brain washing"

Missus has used it to good effect to come off cigarettes...

Convinced herself they are poison, and had a mental image of what the first contact with one , :wideyed::spitoutdummy:
does to help wean her off.

Very effective and she really puts her mind to stuff like that .

For me, it was the "F***" ...it can do WHAT :woot:"
That pushed me, to try so hard.

When we see it from the after viewpoint,, it seems sensible AND practical.

Yet it IS that first look when we go.. " No F****** way, am 'i' letting THAT happen"

that free us to choose a different path

And here you are , living proof, IT can be done.

Respect.

And yeah, agree.

It's a club we join forever.

We only get a choice on paying the price of club class, in terms of effort & Information.

That opens up, a better choice of
Gym, exercise classes, cookery inc

Or

Choose the "We know what's best for you" route
Which imho has the potential for very dire consequences

Looks like we both chose "Club class"

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: dunelm

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

8.15am FBG 6.5

We didn't get lunch in the medieval walled city. I didn't think it would be so difficult to find a suitable meal when there were about twenty different places offering food.

BUT

By the time I had ruled out

Pizza,

Sandwiches

Galettes and crêpes

Burger and chips,

Cakes

Ice cream

Donner kebabs

Only two places left.... and they had all tables reserved....

Was feeling guilty because any of those would have been fine for MrSlim, and walking in cities is not comfortable for him.

Sometimes this Low Carb eating is a real nightmare. We ended up going back to a familiar place in a town near to home, where MrSlim ate Duck Needles (aguillettes) in pepper sauce with a mountain of chips.

I had gesiers( look that up if you like) with bacon lardons and a very adventurous salad, by French standards anyway, not only lettuce, but tomato and Apple slices as well. Portion was so large I couldn't eat all of it.
Spent a pleasant couple of hours at our local bar
In the evening we had smoked salmon, prawns and asparagus, naughty me had bread and butter too. And a cake. Far too much fizz was consumed.
MrSlim insisted I had a cake, so I chose the most garish
View attachment 49753View attachment 49754View attachment 49755
The cake looks delicious @SlimLizzy

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

None of the health professions advice worked for me either. It made things much worse.

I have to be under 20 carbs as well. If I do under 5 carbs I feel so much better. But the naughty me does creep out now and then...

Like you, I think I had diabetes for at least a couple of decades before I got diagnosed. It makes sense for how I felt and symptoms I was getting. And I did go to the doctor over all this but they took no notice.

You have done, and are doing very well @Krystyna23040

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

4.6 today

a misty morning for our shopping trip but then the sun came out so we took our salad over to Mum's and sat in the garden after we dropped off her shopping :D

Cooking a couple of packs of heck sausages I got at reduced price this evening ;)

@gennepher - another well painted scene, the water is glowing and lucid with those hints of blue green :) I like it.

@dunelm - I love today's tree, the trunk has such a great dynamic form contrasted with the lighter foliage and other textures, works really well :)

Lovely pencil sketches, you seem to have cracked working those coloured pencils :)

One of the funniest things I've seen was my mum's face when her beautiful vegetable terrine starter arrived, (we were touring in Normandy and she was trying to avoid seafood just for a change), perched on their legs on top of the terrine glaring back at her were a couple of whopping cooked freshwater crayfish :hilarious:

art bit -

View attachment 49757
Thanks @geefull

A brilliant windswept painting.
Reminds me of Penmaenmawr beach when the wind is so bad you cannot remain standing on the beach...

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A couple of Beach drawings in pencil. Rushed between playing in the sea, castle building and then defending it against the incoming tide, no contest. :)

A4 coloured pencil...
View attachment 49756
Sorry second is a little out of focus, whoops.:)
Splendid and good that you can make the time with all the important things going on like the Cnut sea stuff. Wonder how you draw things out of focus?

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

4.6 today

art bit -

View attachment 49757
Heck sausages - nice - and thank you for your comments. I remember a friend of my parents visiting in France. In the restaurant, when she declared that she was a vegetarian, the waiter said, “ah! So some charcuterie?” Love the windy day, well captured in your own style. When the wind blows hard off the sea you need goggles to walk along our beech.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.5

Another inspiration from Lin Fengmian
28F4B613-553C-4B05-8767-C03E2CD90C0B.jpeg

I have been a little quiet this week, because something upsetting happened last Thursday.
My new neighbour and his friend from the side where the old lady died during Covid appeared. I have not seen them before. So, I went over to introduce myself, and also explained I was deaf and wouldn't hear him if he said good morning, or whatever and I couldn't see him (people think I am ignoring them).
They were making a lot of noise with machinery, so I came back indoors from my back garden.
But it wasn't until the evening when they had left I realised what they had done to the boundary hedge and bushes on my side (for privacy and against the winds).
I had kept them all trimmed so they did not go over the boundary wall.
Yet with his chainsaw, unknown to me he had cut down huge swathes over on my side, up to well over a metre in some places. In one place he cut down all my roses (into about two metres of my property) which normally grow over my potting shed.
But the worst was the scattered bird's nests...

I was incredibly sad, and very very angry.

He has broken the law on two counts. Cutting into my property. And destroying nesting birds.
My new neighbour hasn't even moved in yet, and I haven't seen him again since, which is a pretty good job he has not made another appearance...

I have spoken to friends. I emailed my insurance company yesterday. I have an extra insurance which deals with all kinds of things including neighbourhood disputes and law cases. I have an appointment at their local offices this morning with a dedicated handler. And I have a pdf of photos of the damage and birds nests, and I have one nest I will take in. (As an aside, I realise how much of my thatch from my thatched swing has gone into these nests).

The dedicated handler will phone the police on my behalf (I cannot hear on the phone to do that), and get two crime report numbers for me. And we shall go from there.

The birds have not been singing in my garden this past week. It has been as quiet as the grave.

I cannot forgive this new neighbour for what he has done to my nesting birds...

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from under a hesitant sky here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel a late chicken salad came in at 5.4 this am

Another glorious day yesterday and another bottle of factor 50 makes the cut, looks as though it may not be needed today though. The heat of the past few days has made my eyes feel quite gritty. I do suffer with dry eyes and have had to squirt Viscotears in every hour or so - usually it’s twice a day. Hey ho. We haven’t seen the news for a week now but I expect that the planet is still hurtling round the sun and nobody has fallen off.
Another sheet of rice paper that was experimented upon with monoprint. Looked a bit bird like so I added a beak. Hope that everyone is well - we missed bin day yesterday - tragic! Best drown my sorrow with a koffy.

upload_2021-6-3_6-57-21.jpeg

Reactions: karen8967

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well Swipey is no more. Came up as LO this morning and didn't revitalise after 10 mins of Qi Gng Tai Chi ahead of a big day on the golf course to get my first card in EVER towards a handicap.

Will ring Libre when I get back because that sensor... lasted precisely two days. What a monumental waste of £50.

Very very angry.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.5

View attachment 49765

I have been a little quiet this week, because something upsetting happened last Thursday.
My new neighbour and his friend from the side where the old lady died during Covid appeared. I have not seen them before. So, I went over to introduce myself, and also explained I was deaf and wouldn't hear him if he said good morning, or whatever and I couldn't see him (people think I am ignoring them).
They were making a lot of noise with machinery, so I came back indoors from my back garden.
But it wasn't until the evening when they had left I realised what they had done to the boundary hedge and bushes on my side (for privacy and against the winds).
Yet with his chainsaw, unknown to me he had cut down huge swathes over on my side, up to well over a metre in some places. In one place he cut down all my roses (into about two metres of my property) which normally grow over my potting shed.

He has broken the law on two counts. Cutting into my property. And destroying nesting birds.
My new neighbour hasn't even moved in yet, and I haven't seen him again since, which is a pretty good job he has not made another appearance...

I have spoken to friends. I emailed my insurance company yesterday. I have an extra insurance which deals with all kinds of things including neighbourhood disputes and law cases. I have an appointment at their local offices this morning with a dedicated handler. And I have a pdf of photos of the damage and birds nests, and I have one nest I will take in. (As an aside, I realise how much of my thatch from my thatched swing has gone into these nests).

The dedicated handler will phone the police on my behalf (I cannot hear on the phone to do that), and get two crime report numbers for me. And we shall go from there.

The birds have not been singing in my garden this past week. It has been as quiet as the grave.

This is abysmal. So sad for you.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.5

View attachment 49765

I am so sorry that your new neighbours have done this to your garden and hope that this assault is taken seriously by the police. I am really enjoying your Lin Fengmian inspired art and wish you all the best for your visit to your local insurance company offices.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well Swipey is no more. Came up as LO this morning and didn't revitalise after 10 mins of Qi Gng Tai Chi ahead of a big day on the golf course to get my first card in EVER towards a handicap.

Will ring Libre when I get back because that sensor... lasted precisely two days. What a monumental waste of £50.

Very very angry.
They will be able to check the fault via your phone app and send you a replacement.