Good result - thank you, forum members

ZoeinKent

Hi there,

I joined this forum recently and have spent a lot of time 'lurking' and reading posts. Three months ago my HbA1c was 41, so borderline prediabetic. I started eating low carb and running two or three times a week. The advice on this forum from admins and other members has been invaluable, and always so kindly given. I got my retest results today, and I'm down to 31! I'm so happy and relieved. Eating low carb really does work wonders.

Just wondering if I'm safe to cautiously reintroduce some carbs now, or if I should always steer clear of pasta, rice and bread? I have a meter and strips, so can monitor progress.

Thank you!

Zoe

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondering if I'm safe to cautiously reintroduce some carbs now, or if I should always steer clear of pasta, rice and bread? I have a meter and strips, so can monitor progress.

Well done you! Your meter should be your guide!

andromache

Hi there,

I joined this forum recently and have spent a lot of time 'lurking' and reading posts. Three months ago my HbA1c was 41, so borderline prediabetic. I started eating low carb and running two or three times a week. The advice on this forum from admins and other members has been invaluable, and always so kindly given. I got my retest results today, and I'm down to 31! I'm so happy and relieved. Eating low carb really does work wonders.

Thank you!

Zoe
Great work - well done. I'm in reasonably good metabolic shape, but I prefer to steer clear of bread, rice and pasta and potatoes - such low-nutrition foods; why even bother with them? - but I do routinely have some carbs in the form, mainly, beans and pulses, root veg like carrots and parsnips and the higher carb end of dairy (full-fat milk). Which makes this way of eating totally and easily sustainable for the long term - IF a person is lucky enough to be able to deal safely with a few more carbs - and it sound like you are. .

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I think we have all been told over the years that you have to eat carbs , and we do need them but not to the amount we have been doing , I went out with a pal yesterday for a lunch time meal and looking at what he ate I would guess he ate about 100 -150 in one go , That can't be healthy can it ?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done! that is such a great result.

My personal view only is that you will always have to be careful of your carb intake but as @Goonergal said- eat to your meter. I personally would carefully consider which carbs are worth including in my daily carb intake and which were not. Fo me pasta for example won't make it in to my carb intake as the alternatives suit me just fine.

Great result!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Timely post. I have been wondering the same and currently wear a libre cgm so today I had 3 slices of thin, proper pizza. Sure enough my bg went up to 11 (from 5) so no i can't reintroduce pizza... or maybe just a bite once in a while.
My meter says No

ZoeinKent

Thanks so much, all - and sorry to hear about your experience with pizza, @MrsA2; how disappointing! I had some carrot with dinner tonight, so will see shortly if the meter says yes or no! :)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much, all - and sorry to hear about your experience with pizza, @MrsA2; how disappointing! I had some carrot with dinner tonight, so will see shortly if the meter says yes or no! :)
Luckily there are some good lc alternatives. I make a fat head dough that works well in place of the wheat one

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Congratulations and well done

As others have pointed out no problem with experimenting with carbs if you use your meter as a guide.

Enjoy