Abasaglar dosing

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi I'm now on Abasaglar insulin, I was told to take it x 2 aday, but I find im having hypos at night, ive read up about this insulin, and it is supposed to be taken once aday, well I would like to try that but confused how to start it, as if I take one larger dose would I not overdose? As the dose from 12 hrs before would be in my system still, can anyone answer this please, how to do this safely

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Nannynet
Quite a lot of people split doses of glargine, as they find it gives them a more level background dose, which is possibly why your nurse told you to do this. (Glargine doesn't always last the full 24 hours.)

Really, you need to consult with your team on how to reduce your basal to stop the hypos (or how to unsplit the dose if that's what you wish), as it's against forum rules for us to :- (From the community ethos and forum rules in my signature).

Members are generally not Health Care Professionals, and those who are participate on the Forum as Members, not Health Care Professionals. Members are unable to diagnose any condition, or instruct in the alteration of medication, irrespective of personal or professional standing or experience.

Do you have a phone number you can ring for advice?

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi @Nannynet
Quite a lot of people split doses of glargine, as they find it gives them a more level background dose, which is possibly why your nurse told you to do this. (Glargine doesn't always last the full 24 hours.)

Really, you need to consult with your team on how to reduce your basal to stop the hypos (or how to unsplit the dose if that's what you wish), as it's against forum rules for us to :- (From the community ethos and forum rules in my signature).

Members are generally not Health Care Professionals, and those who are participate on the Forum as Members, not Health Care Professionals. Members are unable to diagnose any condition, or instruct in the alteration of medication, irrespective of personal or professional standing or experience.

Do you have a phone number you can ring for advice?
Thanks its a tough one as although I hypo in early hours I then start to rise around 6ish due to DP, so its very hard to get correct dose as if I increase it I hypo, and if I dont I get a huge rise , worse when I get out of bed, it just keeps rising till I have novorapid and breakfast, so nurses don't know what to say to resolve this has only started last 6 months, its a nightmare, thats why they put me on different background insulin, but no better. Will have to try and work it out myself, thanks for reply.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks its a tough one as although I hypo in early hours I then start to rise around 6ish due to DP, so its very hard to get correct dose as if I increase it I hypo, and if I dont I get a huge rise , worse when I get out of bed, it just keeps rising till I have novorapid and breakfast, so nurses don't know what to say to resolve this has only started last 6 months, its a nightmare, thats why they put me on different background insulin, but no better. Will have to try and work it out myself, thanks for reply.

Have they considered putting you on a pump? My consultant suggested this because like you I have DP issues, but I also have problems with skin allergies so I just get by with small correction doses of bolus.

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Have they considered putting you on a pump? My consultant suggested this because like you I have DP issues, but I also have problems with skin allergies so I just get by with small correction doses of bolus.
They haven't mentioned pump to me .thanks for reply.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
They haven't mentioned pump to me .thanks for reply.

Maybe you should mention it to them....

But, in the meantime, how predictable is your night time hypo? Are you being woken by it or is it showing up as a low on a cgm? (Cgms can be inaccurate at night.)nnWould having a bedtime snack of something long acting help?

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
I usually go low around 4am, i have libre 2 that wakes me with alarm. I double checked with glucose metre and was in fact lower on that in hypo state, im going to try one dose a day, as it peaks and sugars go low at this time, with 2 doses I peak x 2, I thought Abasaglar was not meant to peak as much as this.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Logically two doses should give you two peaks at half the size, at different times, so hopefully only one of those peaks is at night.....