What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was also ignored by my doctor. In the late 1980s I was feeling unwell and the nurse at work did a health check which revealed sky high sugar in my urine sample. She sent me straight to my doctor. He told me that she didn't know what she was talking about and that having high sugar in urine was normal. I cannot believe that I could have been so stupid as to believe him. Thank goodness the older me is not so naive.

Goodness knows what damage was done between then and 2012 when I was admitted to hospital with an hba1c of 125 and a resting heart rate of 120.

I also would do better on 5g carbs but I just couldn't do it. 20g is my absolute minimum.
But we all did believe our doctors @Krystyna23040 , because that is what they trained all those years for.
I do recall often having blurred eyes (among other obvious now to me diabetic symptoms) when now to me it is obvious I had diabetes, and I was told to take glucose tablets by the doctor, which I did.
I went back many times.

I do have my naughty days when I go up to 20 carbs, but I don't feel so good when I do so. One day I will be strong enough not to do even that. Not quite yet!

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late post, two A4 Plein Air watercolour sketches of rock pools done whilst sitting on a bright but wind swept cold beach. The sea defeated our sandcastle again, why am I surprised? :)
IMG_4898.JPG

IMG_4900.JPG

All week we have had a family poetry competition, all must write a poem on a subject of their own choice each day. We read them every evening and they get voted for, Our oldest grandaughter won most nights and so I had to also draw a certificate, here it be....
IMG_4894.JPG Very makeshift but she liked it especially the pink,:)

Reactions: karen8967

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But we all did believe our doctors @Krystyna23040 , because that is what they trained all those years for.
I do recall often having blurred eyes (among other obvious now to me diabetic symptoms) when now to me it is obvious I had diabetes, and I was told to take glucose tablets by the doctor, which I did.
I went back many times.

I do have my naughty days when I go up to 20 carbs, but I don't feel so good when I do so. One day I will be strong enough not to do even that. Not quite yet!
I just don't understand how it was that our doctors were completely oblivious to the fact that we had diabetes - even we had classic symptoms.

I must admit that I am seriously impressed that you stay much lower than 20g carbs a day.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late post, two A4 Plein Air watercolour sketches of rock pools done whilst sitting on a bright but wind swept cold beach. The sea defeated our sandcastle again, why am I surprised? :)
View attachment 49770
View attachment 49771
All week we have had a family poetry competition, all must write a poem on a subject of their own choice each day. We read them every evening and they get voted for, Our oldest grandaughter won most nights and so I had to also draw a certificate, here it be....
View attachment 49772 Very makeshift but she liked it especially the pink,:)
I love your watercolour sketches of rock pools.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went this morning to the insurance offices. The tattooed lady (from head to fingers and toes, I think I mentioned her quite some time ago) will be dealing with me. I explained everything, and the fact i couldn't phone in to the police to get the crime numbers. I need two. She is a lovely lady (although to meet her on a dark night you might think you have wandered in Ray Bradbury's 'The Illustrated man'), and understood without me explaining that ny deafness poses a few problems. She rang the police for me, and I had to authorise that verbally over the phone even though I couldn't hear what questions they were asking over the phone. And she gave me a mobile number so I can text her easily if there are any other problems. So that is in motion wherever it goes, both for AH new neighbour illegally cutting my border bushes right over on my property up to a couple of metres, and also for him destroying the bird's nests on a hedge which was not his. The bird's nest that was intact was hanging on half of what was left of my cherry tree. The AH new neighbour had massacred my cherry tree, and none of it was on his property, it was all on my property, not even a branch was overhanging on to his property,

The reason I did this initially, was for the old lady who had lived there many years. I didn't want to cause her any problems with overhanging plants or branches. And so I trimmed all that regularly, and I was carrying on with that even when she died a year ago. I was being a considerate neighbour.

But this has all left me very very tired. So exhausted that I have nothing left. It is like my body has given up. Every scrap of energy has vacuumed out of it by some unseen entities.

@jjraak I don't see how this can resolve amicably. He has committed two crimes here, and I cannot forgive him for what he has done to the birds and their nests. And he has destroyed my peace and my sanctuary and privacy.

Thanks @Muddy Cyclist

Thank you @Krystyna23040 I would never dream of cutting well over into someone else's property. He has pulled out my flowering Clematis (which was in full bloom) as well, which again was all on my property, He has cut my beautiful scented roses right down to about nearly 2 metres over on my property. And cut them down to about a metre in height. And much more, all on my property. I have always been careful not to let any of my vegetation intrude on the property next door.

Thanks @ianpspurs I am very sad this has also caused the birds now to leave my garden. My garden is my sanctuary...or was...

Thank you very much @dunelm Yes the insurance company are taking it seriously, and I have a lovely helpful lady. It has destroyed my peace in my garden, as well as the peace and safety of my birds. Next time I move house, I want at least a full football pitch length between me and any neighbours...

Thank you very much @RFSMarch

What am I doing to get my peace and sanity back? Because that is my first priority. I cannot put the bungalow up for sale and move. The AH new neighbour has also cut down my roses at the other end of the low wall which now allows his security light which is now left on all night to beam into my bedroom window. It is like he has invaded every aspect of my property. I bought a lottery ticket this morning. I can only hope.

Well, I have a Buddliea bush in the middle of my garden. It grows very virulently. It is white, and the leaves it grows are very big and thick and stay on pretty much all winter. The butterflies love it, and it is not the variety of Buddliea which is regarded as a pest nor is it invasive, and it does not self seed. But you only have to break a stick off it, push it in the ground, and it will grow very quickly. So as a barrier to his security light shining into my garden, it will be very effective. I have already put in 3 sticks of it on the ground, by his security light are, 3 metres into my property from the wall. I have also ordered some more camouflage netting, and that will be 'filling' the other gaps the AH new neighbour. The camouflage netting came today, so I will put that in the gaps tomorrow. But I need a good night's sleep first.

I think I am going to plant that white Buddliea bush sticks all the way along the dividing wall between me and AH new neighbour. I will keep the height down to a reasonable height, but that is it.

I didn't mention before, but AH new neighbour has also butchered the hedge between me and him, also on my property, so I cannot go out and sit on J's and Meg's bench for a quiet cup of coffee in the morning without being viewed by him and the whole street. Again, I had trimmed the bits on his side so nothing went over the wall, but he deigned to cut over into my property.

I have just decided that the white Buddliea sticks will be at the back of J's and Meg's bench, and that will create my privacy again. Although not immediately, but give that white Buddliea a couple of months and it will be about a metre and a half high.

I think the butterflies might find heaven in my garden this year.

I miss my birds not feeding off my suet feeders. I could watch them from my bed. I hope they will return soon...

I knew there was a heck of a lot of birdsong from the hedge in my back garden between me and AH new neighbour, but they were nesting there. Was he trying to get rid of that noise?
The extent of the damage caused by your neighbour to your garden is truly shocking and so very wrong. Thank goodness the lady at the insurance company is helping you in your quest for justice.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just don't understand how it was that our doctors were completely oblivious to the fact that we had diabetes - even we had classic symptoms.

I must admit that I am seriously impressed that you stay much lower than 20g carbs a day.
Thanks @Krystyna23040
I have an app where I key in what I eat to check those sneaky carbs. I don’t do it every day. That becomes a chore and boring. But every time I think I have gone off track a couple of days, I open up the app and key in my food, and then when I get a feel of around 5 carbs again, then it might be awhile before I use that app again.

Edit: I want to keep my feet and my eyes so that is my motivation.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 49770
View attachment 49771
View attachment 49772 Very makeshift but she liked it especially the pink,:)
I love both of these @Muddy Cyclist
How I wish I could clamber among those rocks again....
Keep recording your holiday. It is like I am enjoying this mini holiday as well...

Reactions: dunelm and jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The extent of the damage caused by your neighbour to your garden is truly shocking and so very wrong. Thank goodness the lady at the insurance company is helping you in your quest for justice.
She is a very helpful understanding lady @Krystyna23040
I don’t know how my AH new neighbour can ever think any of that was right in the first place.

Reactions: dunelm and jjraak

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
She is a very helpful understanding lady @Krystyna23040
I don’t know how my AH new neighbour can ever think any of that was right in the first place.
I never understand how people become such AHs. Thank goodness that most people are not like that and your insurance lady is one of the good ones.

I must have been really really tired last night when I read your post because I couldn't work out what AH was. I even googled it.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I never understand how people become such AHs. Thank goodness that most people are not like that and your insurance lady is one of the good ones.

I must have been really really tired last night when I read your post because I couldn't work out what AH was. I even googled it.
I was trying to be polite for this thread @Krystyna23040
:bag:

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Me too @gennepher - I think any days I can stay below 75 is an exceptional day for me.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.8 this morning. No idea why as I had my usual 20g carbs. As usual my liver and pancreas work in mysterious ways.

Yesterday my sister was here to help with the admin. We did so much work. The supersonic broadband really helped to speed things along.
she is working an extra morning today and by lunchtime we should be almost up to date.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
7.30am FBG 5.4

6.45 FBG 5.9
Weight 51kg exactly. Down 2.3 kg. Lot in a week. Still would be nice to lose the flabby bits and regain some muscle tone.
Errant 4.4kg big improvement from 4.9kg. Poor Cat is convinced we are starving him. He is correct ofc. Today I have cut his rations by another gramme. He needs to lose about a kilogram.
@gennepher appalled is not too strong a word for my reaction to your neighbours actions. I am so sorry for all the distress this has caused you and at the same time so pleased that you are getting sympathetic help from the insurance company.

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.30am FBG 5.4

6.45 FBG 5.9
Weight 51kg exactly. Down 2.3 kg. Lot in a week. Still would be nice to lose the flabby bits and regain some muscle tone.
Errant 4.4kg big improvement from 4.9kg. Poor Cat is convinced we are starving him. He is correct ofc. Today I have cut his rations by another gramme. He needs to lose about a kilogram.
@gennepher appalled is not too strong a word for my reaction to your neighbours actions. I am so sorry for all the distress this has caused you and at the same time so pleased that you are getting sympathetic help from the insurance company.
Poor Errant @SlimLizzy
He might be supplementing his diet with the little four legged menaces...

Thanks for your words.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me too @gennepher - I think any days I can stay below 75 is an exceptional day for me.
I think @RFSMarch that because the diabetes was undiagnosed for literally more than a couple of decades, that it has caused a lot of damage, and consequently my body and it's bits and pieces of internal organs are unable to work as they should.
And keeping to low carbs helps an awful lot.

Reactions: dunelm

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Swipey died in the heat of a day of golf (my worst round this year because I was hella nervous putting in my very first handicap card EVER and was playing with the current club captain and a former club captain. 'Choke' does not even begin to cover the horror of that score)...

Phoned Libre and they are sending a new one. I kept scanning it so that I had a plethora of error codes to give them so they couldn't argue that it really was an ex-swipey. I am not filled with much confidence about the Libre 2 if the endless complaints on the UK Libre Group FB group are anything to go by...

Back on shift for 11am-9pm.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor Errant @SlimLizzy

Thanks for your words.
Errant has difficulty hunting, he cannot run fast, or jump and has many broken teeth. Even opening a bin bag is a struggle for him.... He needs to lose weight because he had a heart condition. The extra weight is causing it to work harder.
I am guessing he almost doubled his weight since we first knew him as a skinny, scruffy stray.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor Errant @SlimLizzy

Thanks for your words.
You might want to consider contacting the RSPB. There is a section on their website for reporting crimes against wild birds. Hope they prosecute the AH.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think @RFSMarch that because the diabetes was undiagnosed for literally more than a couple of decades, that it has caused a lot of damage, and consequently my body and it's bits and pieces of internal organs are unable to work as they should.
And keeping to low carbs helps an awful lot.

Oh I am 100% with you. I decided to work out what a typical day would have been when I was a competing track and field athlete with a day's work and then straight on to training after, and I put in that typical carb amount in MyFitnessPal and almost had a coronary!

As an athlete carb loading was key and I competed from my mid-teens all the way through to my 30s. I find it now completely horrifying just how may carbs I could put away in a day. Now I suppose the balance for me is fuelling what I do now with low carb... not easy. I struggle with my BG on a round of golf and I noticeably dip in energy and form from about holes 11-13.