Lows while in the sun

Taeholic_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I'm T2 (still waiting on tests) on Novorapid and Lantus since the end of Sept last year. I've noticed on hot days that my BG falls quite dramatically.

Eg I was in the sun for an hour at the weekend, had 32g carbs for lunch and gave myself 3 units of Novorapid and my BG halved in 30 minutes. My BG was 9.8 just before lunch. I was wearing a sun hat, sunscreen, not sweating or running around. Literally just sitting on the beach.

This has happened to me a few times now on hot days, my readings will fall quickly just sitting in the sun. Any advice on how to treat this? I want to enjoy my summer after being indoors so much of the past year.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I'm T2 (still waiting on tests) on Novorapid and Lantus since the end of Sept last year. I've noticed on hot days that my BG falls quite dramatically.

Eg I was in the sun for an hour at the weekend, had 32g carbs for lunch and gave myself 3 units of Novorapid and my BG halved in 30 minutes. My BG was 9.8 just before lunch. I was wearing a sun hat, sunscreen, not sweating or running around. Literally just sitting on the beach.

This has happened to me a few times now on hot days, my readings will fall quickly just sitting in the sun. Any advice on how to treat this? I want to enjoy my summer after being indoors so much of the past year.
Hi,

I'm type one on the same meds. (lantus & Novo.) Been so for years..

Yep, the sun and the heat can increase insulin sensitivity for me. Even with no fast acting insulin on board?
I've been working outside lately.

You may need to discuss dosage with your HCP. I've found vacations to warmer/hotter climates affect me the same way too..

Taeholic_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm type one on the same meds. (lantus & Novo.) Been so for years..

Yep, the sun and the heat can increase insulin sensitivity for me. Even with no fast acting insulin on board?
I've been working outside lately.

You may need to discuss dosage with your HCP. I've found vacations to warmer/hotter climates affect me the same way too..

Thanks Jaylee,

You're right it's probably best I call my clinic and get their advice. There haven't been many hot days so this is a relatively new issue for me.

I'm looking forward to getting outdoors after a long time at home and the lows are really making me anxious about day trips. Hopefully I'll find the solution before it starts raining again

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use Fiasp in a pump, and likewise my bloods have been dropping suddenly over the last two days. Yesterday I was inside most of the day, today I was outside sitting in the sun for 2 and a half hours in the afternoon, but bloods were dropping constantly whether inside or out. Time to reduce my basal insulin I think!! Just wish the weather was consistent in temperature, so I could reduce insulin and know that it was ok till winter. Wishful think I know . . . Hope you can get some helpful advice @Taeholic_

Reactions: Taeholic_

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Jaylee,

You're right it's probably best I call my clinic and get their advice. There haven't been many hot days so this is a relatively new issue for me.

I'm looking forward to getting outdoors after a long time at home and the lows are really making me anxious about day trips. Hopefully I'll find the solution before it starts raining again

Hi,

There's nothing to stop you getting out & about. Just carry some hypo treatment with you just in case.
Along with your meter.

Have fun & enjoy what there is of the sun.

Taeholic_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Fiasp in a pump, and likewise my bloods have been dropping suddenly over the last two days. Yesterday I was inside most of the day, today I was outside sitting in the sun for 2 and a half hours in the afternoon, but bloods were dropping constantly whether inside or out. Time to reduce my basal insulin I think!! Just wish the weather was consistent in temperature, so I could reduce insulin and know that it was ok till winter. Wishful think I know . . . Hope you can get some helpful advice @Taeholic_
I was talking to my clinic, she advised me to reduce my Novorapid in the sun and said the sun speeds up my metabolism, I already have a high metabolism.

It's not fun at all but I know so much of diabetes care is trial and error. Or at least that's been my experience so far. Thanks for you advice hopefully you will get sorted too

Reactions: Hopeful34

Taeholic_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

There's nothing to stop you getting out & about. Just carry some hypo treatment with you just in case.
Along with your meter.

Have fun & enjoy what there is of the sun.
Morning,

I have a real fear of hypos they knock me for six so I know that doesn't help. I always carry Lift and test regularly.

I need to push myself more to get out and about. 6 months of lockdown doesn't help either. Thanks Jaylee

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you.

Just a note of caution, it might be helpful to also check your bloods overnight now we've got warmer weather, as my experience (but yours may be different), is that it's the heat that reduces how much insulin I need both day and night in the summer. If I'm in the house all day which can get extremely warm, that has the same effect as sitting outside in the sun, hence I need to reduce my basal, as well as some times bolus.

Lift's great for sudden drops in blood sugar and hypo's :) Enjoy getting out and about in the sun :)

Taeholic_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you.

Just a note of caution, it might be helpful to also check your bloods overnight now we've got warmer weather, as my experience (but yours may be different), is that it's the heat that reduces how much insulin I need both day and night in the summer. If I'm in the house all day which can get extremely warm, that has the same effect as sitting outside in the sun, hence I need to reduce my basal, as well as some times bolus.

Lift's great for sudden drops in blood sugar and hypo's :) Enjoy getting out and about in the sun :)

Oh really? I wasn't aware of that. I rarely wake during the night to test but I'll test regularly throughout the day. Thanks for the heads up

I've lots of snacks in my handbag depending on what I need and I've ordered a cooling wallet for my insulin for when I'm out and about. I can't wait to enjoy the sunshine while we have it :)

Reactions: Hopeful34

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was talking to my clinic, she advised me to reduce my Novorapid in the sun and said the sun speeds up my metabolism, I already have a high metabolism.

It's not fun at all but I know so much of diabetes care is trial and error. Or at least that's been my experience so far. Thanks for you advice hopefully you will get sorted too
FYI the same principle applies for leg waxing and saunas! Hope it carries on being sunny so you can get some practice in re managing this one.

Taeholic_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
FYI the same principle applies for leg waxing and saunas! Hope it carries on being sunny so you can get some practice in re managing this one.
That's good to know, thank you. I haven't seen the sun since lol but hopefully it's nice next week.

I still have a lot of learn, I've pretty much been at home in my little bubble since I started on insulin.