Tee2 accuracy

Sydneyhorn

Hi all

I got my diagnosis about 10 days ago and have been on a low carb diet since.

I've been checking my fasting glucose levels first thing in the morning and it's been in the 7s. Also yesterday afternoon, about an hour after eating, it was 8.3.

This morning it was 5.6. is that kind of drop possible or is it more likely to be an error by the meter?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Sydneyhorn

Sounds like you’ve made a good start. There are a few things to consider about blood glucose readings.

Firstly all meters have an error range of roughly 10-15%, and even testing the same drop of blood with two different strips can produce different readings for this reason. If you get a reading which is a long way off from what you expect (either low or high) the advice is to throughly wash and dry your hands and test again in case anything has contaminated your hands.

Secondly, blood glucose levels can be affected by so many things - food, exercise, stress, illness, lack of sleep and so on. For this reason, they fluctuate constantly and you’re unlikely to get the same readings at the same time every day, especially when first diagnosed and just settling into a routine of management.

You might also want to check out ‘dawn phenomenon’ which explains more about morning readings and why they might vary.

I’d therefore say that the readings you mention are all perfectly plausible.

Are you also testing immediately before you eat, so you can see the impact of your meals?

Sydneyhorn

Hi @Sydneyhorn

Sounds like you’ve made a good start. There are a few things to consider about blood glucose readings.

Firstly all meters have an error range of roughly 10-15%, and even testing the same drop of blood with two different strips can produce different readings for this reason. If you get a reading which is a long way off from what you expect (either low or high) the advice is to throughly wash and dry your hands and test again in case anything has contaminated your hands.

Secondly, blood glucose levels can be affected by so many things - food, exercise, stress, illness, lack of sleep and so on. For this reason, they fluctuate constantly and you’re unlikely to get the same readings at the same time every day, especially when first diagnosed and just settling into a routine of management.

You might also want to check out ‘dawn phenomenon’ which explains more about morning readings and why they might vary.

I’d therefore say that the readings you mention are all perfectly plausible.

Are you also testing immediately before you eat, so you can see the impact of your meals?

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I'm testing before eating or drinking anything.

I guess I'll check again tomorrow and see what I get!

Reactions: jjraak

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
All makes of meter have to confirm to the industry standard for accuracy of plus/minus %15.
Our glucose levels are constantly changing depending on many factors. What we have eaten, our activities, stress levels are just a few things that will have an impact on blood glucose. For example a couple of glasses of wine on an evening can result in lower fasting numbers the next morning.
Keep a log book, note down your readings alongside your meals, activities. you will soon see what food/drink/activities your meter likes

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Sydneyhorn

As said, a great start

Numbers looking GOOD

Both @catinahat & @Goonergal making great points

Well done you for doing all the right things

I thought the best use of the meter for me was to spot trends. Particularly that morning one.

I too had drops like that, rather unexpected, then the next days would be higher again,

But week by week the average dropped, so the odd one out became the highs, then by the next few weeks, the pattern returns until I got from average 8's down to the 5's on a daily basis each morning

Much like a temperature chart , with highs & lows..it helped me track my averages as the seasons changed, sort of.

As for food, we want the difference between pre food and then 2 hours later
( which is where we'd expect our BG levels to be coming down, IF we didn't have T2D, I believe)

However I have seen & read that some foods may have a quicker spike or even an extended one, So we COULD miss that 2 hour window spike, for some foods

but it is generally 2 hours & test, that seems standard

So it was a useful tool for me daily, but it also helped reassure me, I was on the right track, as I whittled down the bad food list for that weeks / months chart as I matched towards a better HBA1c.

Sounds like you are headed very much in the tight direction.

Good luck on your journey :)

Reactions: Sydneyhorn

Sydneyhorn

Hi @Sydneyhorn

As said, a great start

Numbers looking GOOD

Both @catinahat & @Goonergal making great points

Well done you for doing all the right things

I thought the best use of the meter for me was to spot trends. Particularly that morning one.

I too had drops like that, rather unexpected, then the next days would be higher again,

But week by week the average dropped, so the odd one out became the highs, then by the next few weeks, the pattern returns until I got from average 8's down to the 5's on a daily basis each morning

Much like a temperature chart , with highs & lows..it helped me track my averages as the seasons changed, sort of.

As for food, we want the difference between pre food and then 2 hours later
( which is where we'd expect our BG levels to be coming down, IF we didn't have T2D, I believe)

However I have seen & read that some foods may have a quicker spike or even an extended one, So we COULD miss that 2 hour window spike, for some foods

but it is generally 2 hours & test, that seems standard

So it was a useful tool for me daily, but it also helped reassure me, I was on the right track, as I whittled down the bad food list for that weeks / months chart as I matched towards a better HBA1c.

Sounds like you are headed very much in the tight direction.

Good luck on your journey :)

Thanks jjraak!

It's great to hear other people's experiences. Yes, I'm fully expecting it to be higher again tomorrow but, you are correct, it's the trend that is the important thing.

I've started to keep a daily journal of what I eat and what exercise I do.

Hopefully, over time, I will be able to work out what causes the highs and the lows.

I guess the bottom line is not to get to carried away with one reading, whether it is good or bad!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks jjraak!

It's great to hear other people's experiences. Yes, I'm fully expecting it to be higher again tomorrow but, you are correct, it's the trend that is the important thing.

I've started to keep a daily journal of what I eat and what exercise I do.

Hopefully, over time, I will be able to work out what causes the highs and the lows.

I guess the bottom line is not to get to carried away with one reading, whether it is good or bad!
Agree fully.

It was that mix of 'information' & personal experiences that gave me such a great start on here.

And it is a detective game we play.
Trying to find the hidden killer in our kitchens

Mind you they are also out there in bars, restaurants, cafes....might be a 'Cereal' killer..lol

And " not to get carried away by one reading".

Think you've VERY much got this :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sydneyhorn