Type 1'stars R Us

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone up at silly o'clock cant sleep enjoy whats left of the weekend
FB_IMG_1617228056612.jpg

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning@Karen8967 Up since 4:30am! Grandson on a sleep over, except sleep ceased at 4am!!! Luckily I am an early bird. Though not usually quite so early.

Reactions: karen8967

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, drizzly start here today but brightening up now. Bgs up a bit for no apparent reason, so Im off to do something strenuous in the garden to try to get them down. Enjoy the rest of the weekend all.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning@Karen8967 Up since 4:30am! Grandson on a sleep over, except sleep ceased at 4am!!! Luckily I am an early bird. Though not usually quite so early.
The joys of being a grandparent but would we have it any other way

Reactions: Marie 2

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Anyone ever discovered previously unknown relatives? Thanks to Ancestry.com, in the space of 1 weekend I have acquired a half sister 22 years my junior and living in London with her own family, - so I am literally the "brother from another mother".
Also 2 aunts (still alive and living in India) and a couple of cousins living in the UK. One of the cousins claims that when he was a child, he spent most of his summers in India and has met my father - wish I had!
Going to get DNA testing done to confirm everything but the evidence is compelling as lots of names match up on family trees and there are various marriage, birth and death records that tie together.
Crazy world!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@urbanracer I didn't discover family but they discovered my Dad. He'd been told he was orphaned but in fact his mother was committed to an institution after his father left her in London and moved with another woman to Coventry, where they had five children. So my Dad discovered, at 61, that he had all these half-siblings, and he met his full sister (who was ten years older than him and had left the family before his parents disappeared). So I have cousins and half aunts and uncles I never knew existed. My Dad was actually very sad that he didn't meet his father, who only died a few years before one of my cousins traced the history and found him. I'm so sorry you didn't meet yours either, that's tough, but hopefully it'll be good to meet with some of your newly-discovered relatives!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@urbanracer I didn't discover family but they discovered my Dad. He'd been told he was orphaned but in fact his mother was committed to an institution after his father left her in London and moved with another woman to Coventry, where they had five children. So my Dad discovered, at 61, that he had all these half-siblings, and he met his full sister (who was ten years older than him and had left the family before his parents disappeared). So I have cousins and half aunts and uncles I never knew existed. My Dad was actually very sad that he didn't meet his father, who only died a few years before one of my cousins traced the history and found him. I'm so sorry you didn't meet yours either, that's tough, but hopefully it'll be good to meet with some of your newly-discovered relatives!

Wow - amazing.

Actually, my newly acquired half sister has never met our father either. Seems our dear father was a 'love em and leave em' kinda guy. And with there being 22 years between us, it wouldn't surprise me if there is another one out there somewhere.:nailbiting::arghh::D

Her husband bought her membership of Ancestry.com as a birthday present. She sent off for a DNA test which highlighted a connection with one of the cousins who was already using Ancestry to research. He (the cousin) has a full family tree on the paternal side, which I had never seen before. He has just sent me a picture of my father gigging in a pub band from around the 70's!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Better success at snorkeling today, I only reduced my basal 50%, for an hour, starting a half hour before and immediately took 2 units when I got out and an additional extra unit about 60 minutes later when I ate. I didn't have a peak above 7.8. Much nicer than the last time. Of course, all it takes is different ocean conditions to change what I need to do and whether it will work the next time lol! But at least this time it worked!!!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
That's really neat @urbanracer and @hh1 !!!!

From Ancestry.com on matches of cousins I have a bunch in England and it makes sense as we know of a relative that came over in the first ships and several after. What was really interesting was when I was going through stuff from my parents house after they had died I found an old map and a couple of letters and a certificate. One of my ancestors was awarded land in what is now part of Canada. But it looks like he was of a more privileged background from a letter written? He went out there and tried to live for a brief time and then gave it back to the king and went back to England lol.......................The map I found designates the area he was given and in fairness when I figured out where it was from the lakes on the map...........it's still mostly all a wilderness area. So I figure it was probably pretty much inhospitable. Maybe he wasn't liked by the king!

Reactions: hh1 and urbanracer

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
@urbanracer I found out when I was about 11 that my father had had a wife and other women previous to my mother but no divorce. He’d left her for her sister. Gawd! A few years later, he and my mother were married, bigamously, when I was on the way. My mother didn’t know about his previous. I met my half brother from his first marriage when I was in my thirties and he and his family have been close friends of mine ever since. Holidays, weddings, meals, endless natters. My father was a serial love ‘em and leave ‘em too. Much distress caused. Probably more half siblings are scattered around too. He died when I was five and the lid of Pandora’s box crept open.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypo's 2 nights running - milk and cookies at 3am, wehey!
Might be about the time of year to back off the basal a couple of units.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Well it might have worked the last time, but it certainly didn't work today. 1/2 hour into swimming I shot up to 8.9. By the time I got out I was 10.5 and climbing. I immediately gave a correction dose and ended up at 13 before starting to come down. I ended up taking 3 times a normal dose over the next 2 hours, because I wasn't showing signs of dropping more than a point. Of course now 5 hours later I think some of it might be hitting too much. I had some ice cream and that has solved the issue lol! Steady at 5.9. I know it's caused by a hormone response to high intensity exercise and that causes insulin resistant temporarily but sigh conditions were the same as before when it went so much smoother.

Last edited:
Reactions: urbanracer

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow - amazing.

Actually, my newly acquired half sister has never met our father either. Seems our dear father was a 'love em and leave em' kinda guy. And with there being 22 years between us, it wouldn't surprise me if there is another one out there somewhere.:nailbiting::arghh::D

Her husband bought her membership of Ancestry.com as a birthday present. She sent off for a DNA test which highlighted a connection with one of the cousins who was already using Ancestry to research. He (the cousin) has a full family tree on the paternal side, which I had never seen before. He has just sent me a picture of my father gigging in a pub band from around the 70's!

Your dad was in a band? :cool:

My great grandfather had a band. Let's just say he had a few "groupies" & here I am.. Rock & roll..