Libre sensor adhesive problems

Mr Whippy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been a semi regular Libre user up until about 12 months ago when the skin reactions to the adhesive got so bad that I ripped it off after less than 24 hours due to the severity of the burning and itching. It had steadily been getting worse over the previous 7 or 8 sensors until it became totally unbearable.

I have heard rumours that they have (or soon will have) reformulated the adhesive - can anyone confirm or deny this and if so can anyone confirm if their skin reaction issues have changed ?

I am paying from my own pocket (for now anyway) an don't want to risk buying another unless I know for sure the adhesive has changed.

Any advice / experience gratefully received.

Thanks - Dave.

techdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Hey I've been using these for a year but started off with discomfort but that subsided, maybe wait for the Libre 3 release and give that a go?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I react to many plaster and Tegaderm dressings but have had absolutely no reaction with my Libre 2 sensors which I started 6 weeks ago. Might be worth trying again?

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I had a similar reaction, but mine was because I had accidentally applied the sensor on a patch of psoriasis. Have you tried putting a small patch of tegaderm, then applying the sensor so only the needle hits the skin and the sensor sticks to the tegaderm?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, the original question was asked more than two years ago. I believe that the adhesive has changed in that time.

For what it’s worth I don’t react to the sensor adhesive, despite being allergic to many things, including tegaderm and anything else I’ve used to try and keep the sensor on!