No one said it would be easy……

NannyClover

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
and it really has been a tough 3 months!

After discovering my HbA1c was 68 in March 2021, I devised a “plan”, which some of you lovely people gave the once-over and said was pretty much OK.

Since then I have gone low-carb to the best of my ability, without actually counting gms, though the only carb I can see in my diet will be in veg, milk and the occasional sauce. I’ve had the odd slice of lc bread but in 3 months I’ve had no potato, rice, pasta, cake, pastry, biscuit, carrot, in fact, anything I have any doubts about. Though I did have rather an alarming encounter with chickpeas - clearly not going to be on my “green” list moving forwards!

I’ve tested rigorously, weighed myself, taken my BP and walked as much as I can. I’ve scrutinised the dietary information on the backs of packaging, tried a variety of lc/keto recipes, kept copious notes and charts and bored my family and friends rigid!

In fact, my Fitbit conked out about 3 weeks ago and to tell you the truth, I haven’t been in a great hurry to replace it - it was a bit of a relief from the “tyranny of the numbers” :)

This week I got my latest blood results and my HbA1c was down to 44 ( happy dance)
My BP is down from 139/71 to119/64
My fasting bg (7 day average) is down from 9.0 to 6.7
My weight is down 20 lbs

The only fly in the ointment is that my cholesterol is up from 5.1 to 5.5 :(
( March 2021 - total cholesterol 5.1 - Hdl 1.5, LDL 2.7, trigs 1.9
June 2021 - total cholesterol 5.5 - Hdl 1.5, LDL 3.3, trigs 1.5)

I’ve still a long way to go. This is for life. I probably need to lose another 30lbs. I need to try and test some of the major carb foods to see what my body will tolerate (up until now I’ve been a bit too scared, focusing solely on getting that HbA1c figure down in the short term and it needs to come down even further) and I think I need to increase my exercise levels. Though I am fitter, a friend of mine always likes to make the distinction between being “fit” and being “Fell fit”. I definitely would be an embarrassment hiking the Fells at the moment! Hopefully, further exercise will help bring down that LDL.

A huge “thank you” to all of you who take the time and trouble to guide newbies and to share your vast experience via this forum. It’s been a lifeline for me. xxx

Reactions: Dudette1

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great stuff - brilliant reduction in HbA1c. And your trigs have come down too, so in my book that’s also an improvement in cholesterol.

Reactions: NannyClover

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant results! Don’t worry too much about your cholesterol especially if you didn’t fast for the blood test. You need to do your research about cholesterol before accepting any medication. @bulkbiker has a comprehensive thread about cholesterol somewhere. I’m sure he’ll post a link to it if you want

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might find that any peas or beans affect your levels more than they should - it is what I found and several others have mentioned the same thing - I suspect some genetic factor which helps us digest them more thoroughly than expected.

Reactions: NannyClover

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Trigs on their way down and steady HDL.. until you have stopped losing weight then measuring cholesterol is pretty pointless.

Long and involved thread here.. read and watch everything and you'll know more than your doctor guaranteed!

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and it really has been a tough 3 months!

After discovering my HbA1c was 68 in March 2021, I devised a “plan”, which some of you lovely people gave the once-over and said was pretty much OK.

Since then I have gone low-carb to the best of my ability, without actually counting gms, though the only carb I can see in my diet will be in veg, milk and the occasional sauce. I’ve had the odd slice of lc bread but in 3 months I’ve had no potato, rice, pasta, cake, pastry, biscuit, carrot, in fact, anything I have any doubts about. Though I did have rather an alarming encounter with chickpeas - clearly not going to be on my “green” list moving forwards!

I’ve tested rigorously, weighed myself, taken my BP and walked as much as I can. I’ve scrutinised the dietary information on the backs of packaging, tried a variety of lc/keto recipes, kept copious notes and charts and bored my family and friends rigid!

In fact, my Fitbit conked out about 3 weeks ago and to tell you the truth, I haven’t been in a great hurry to replace it - it was a bit of a relief from the “tyranny of the numbers” :)

This week I got my latest blood results and my HbA1c was down to 44 ( happy dance)
My BP is down from 139/71 to119/64
My fasting bg (7 day average) is down from 9.0 to 6.7
My weight is down 20 lbs

I’ve still a long way to go. This is for life. I probably need to lose another 30lbs. I need to try and test some of the major carb foods to see what my body will tolerate (up until now I’ve been a bit too scared, focusing solely on getting that HbA1c figure down in the short term and it needs to come down even further) and I think I need to increase my exercise levels. Though I am fitter, a friend of mine always likes to make the distinction between being “fit” and being “Fell fit”. I definitely would be an embarrassment hiking the Fells at the moment! Hopefully, further exercise will help bring down that LDL.

A huge “thank you” to all of you who take the time and trouble to guide newbies and to share your vast experience via this forum. It’s been a lifeline for me. xxx
Excellent work. And good mindset. You're only just beginning, and you're already kicking *** and taking names, and it'll get even better from here. And I agree: don't be bothered about the cholesterol.