Fiasp life span - after injection

ROE100

Hi All

Does anyone have the life span of Fiasp once injected?

I think it is meant to start working say 15 or so mins then peak effectivness I assume 2 hours but what is the tail i.e. does it last for a total about 4, 5 or 6 hours after injection?

Thanks for any information.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We are all different.
I find the tail is similar to Novorapid . For me this is 3.5 hours. For others it is 4 hours and some 6.
If you Google “Fiasp profile”, you’ll get the official numbers.

Reactions: ROE100

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hi All

I think it is meant to start working say 15 or so mins then peak effectivness I assume 2 hours but what is the tail i.e. does it last for a total about 4, 5 or 6 hours after injection?

On paper it starts after 10 to 15 minutes

I think the peak is 70 minutes

I think it still indicates overall about 5 hours and to be fair probably still has some effect for most at that time but minimal

I used to work on about 3 hours that I would see effect

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For me it peaks at about 2, 2 and a half hours and seems to be done after four to five hours.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find it varies Pen to Pen for me. My current pen the Fiasp seems to last about 4 hours. Whereas the previous Pen it last 5 hours.

The majority work on a curve like you’d expect (height of effectiveness early and diminishing effectiveness after that peak)

I’ve noticed that some pens (though it’s a minority) have a double peak. Whereby I get the usual up front peak and then a second smaller peak at 3-4 hours. This is similar to a phenomenon I experienced with a recalled batch of Fiasp (though much much less pronounced).

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

It lasts 4 hours quite consistently for me too.

ROE100

Thanks for all the detail most helpful.

My issue is my yes works slighlty for 3 hours then really kicks in at the end. So 5 to 6 sometimes 7 hours later if not had dinner I drop from where say 7 to 5 sometimes high 4's

Example
Inject for lunch 12 noon - 7.1
Eat lunch normally about 20/30 carbs not high fat - most often bread based carb element
at the 2 hour point up to 10's (I now I shouldn't be going this much 2 is the recomended spike according to NICE) so I don't correct as aware I am likley to drop later on, but I don't feel great for these hours.
At 4pm now down to 7 (4 hours later)
At 5pm now down to 6.4 (5 hours later)
At 6.30pm now down to 5.3 (6 hours later)
At 7pm now down to 4.7 (which is 7 hour later) so I have dropped 2.3 in 3 hours normally have tea at this point

From what you have said yes it can still work 7 hours later but I seem to have the different where effectivness happens at the end rather than begining as per the published profile.

Please also note I had the same when I was on Humalog -

This happens when fresh out of the fridge or 20 days out of the fridge.

Yes rota sites - never going near the site that may be an issue.

Just going to have to accept this is how insulin works for me and live with not feeling great for a few hours during the day when in the 10's. Yes thought of no carb lunch but really struggle to find foods I enjoy.

Thanks again for all the information

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you Basal Tested recently? What this looks like to me is that your Basal is too high and your Bolus to Carb Ratio is a little bit too low.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find Fiasp starts working slower if my blood sugars are high.
If my levels are in double figures, it can take an hour to start working.
Whereas, if my levels are around 5, it will start working within 15 minutes.

TypeZero.

Hi All

From my personal experience:

The glucose-lowering effect disappears after 3-4 hours

But it’s liver-inhibiting effect takes about 5-6 hours

Once the liver-inhibiting effects wear off I can exercise at the gym as hard as I want without caring about my sugars as I’ve adjusted my basal to a perfect dose that means even if I did an intense workout at gym without carbs I still wouldn’t go hypo

ROE100

Thanks @StewM

Sense this may be the case and probably will do another Basal test but as I am on such a low dose of basal (only 10 units - 30 years plus diabectic) of which I can only adjust by a full unit (Tresiba) so any small changes effect the rest of the day and night which at the moment have been better. So may have to live these few hours and also be aware of the possible low in the late afternoon that a small snack is required around 4pm each day as a solution.

Reactions: StewM

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @StewM

Sense this may be the case and probably will do another Basal test but as I am on such a low dose of basal (only 10 units - 30 years plus diabectic) of which I can only adjust by a full unit (Tresiba) so any small changes effect the rest of the day and night which at the moment have been better. So may have to live these few hours and also be aware of the possible low in the late afternoon that a small snack is required around 4pm each day as a solution.
Same, and same (I take 11). That slow smooth drop is exactly what my Tresiba looks like when set too high. Like it's definitely worth checking, as there are always other possibilities, but there's a lot of factors that suggest the Basal is the culprit here.

As an interim measure, snacks are a great stopgap.