If_only

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The thought of vegetables day after day after day for all eternity
Hi
Why is it that there is sooooo much sugar in a tin of chopped tomato?
I can't eat them raw, for me the taste is disgusting.
However I do make my own sauces and have until my diagnosis of T2, have used a tin when I cook.
I am following the "bland low carb and low sugar regime. I have done for the past month and have set myself a goal of being strict. I have not eaten anything unhealthy or high in sugar or carb (though I am not going to count carbs to the absolute). I can do this until my BG is stable and in range.
But the thing that really annoys me today is why can't I find a tin of chopped tomato in the supermarket that doesn't have a bucket load of sugar? Even the better quality tins that have a flavour still has as someone said nearly as much sugar as a can of coke.
Does sugar cook out when you heat it up?
It really annoys me, I am temped to say after my 3 month goal, **** IT! , I'm making it now and then, this disease is not going to rob me of anything else. Ohhh don't get me started with baked beans. If I can only have a teaspoon of them then there is no point having them in the first place. AAARRRRHHHH If only I can kickstart my sleeping b cells.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Why is it that there is sooooo much sugar in a tin of chopped tomato?
I can't eat them raw, for me the taste is disgusting.
However I do make my own sauces and have until my diagnosis of T2, have used a tin when I cook.
I am following the "bland low carb and low sugar regime. I have done for the past month and have set myself a goal of being strict. I have not eaten anything unhealthy or high in sugar or carb (though I am not going to count carbs to the absolute). I can do this until my BG is stable and in range.
But the thing that really annoys me today is why can't I find a tin of chopped tomato in the supermarket that doesn't have a bucket load of sugar? Even the better quality tins that have a flavour still has as someone said nearly as much sugar as a can of coke.
Does sugar cook out when you heat it up?
It really annoys me, I am temped to say after my 3 month goal, **** IT! , I'm making it now and then, this disease is not going to rob me of anything else. Ohhh don't get me started with baked beans. If I can only have a teaspoon of them then there is no point having them in the first place. AAARRRRHHHH If only I can kickstart my sleeping b cells.
I think it depends on how far a 400g tin of chopped tomatoes goes. I use Napoli brand regularly which is 3.6g/100g or 7.2 for half a can. A can is sufficient for curry or sauce for 2 or more and otherwise I add a dash of water to rinse out the can. I find that ready made jars of tomato based sauces are much higher in carbs.

Reactions: jjraak

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tinned tomatoes have no added sugar in general. The carbs you are seeing are the same as the carbs in fresh produce.
Not sure how you are eating Bland the low carb direction tends to be quite interesting.
Sadly sugar doesnt cook out, in some cases it makes it a higher GI.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @If-only , tomatoes are naturally high in sugar I didn’t find any on my supermarket website with added sugar. As @PenguinMum says it all depends how much of the tin you use and then how many portions you make from it.

Edit for typo

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
bland low carb and low sugar regime.
Why bland? smother everything in chilli powder if you want some zing.. garlic, herbs etc etc..
Plus tomatoes are fruit so will have some sugar however about 4% could hardly be considered "high"... but as an alternative why not make creamy and cheesy sauces?

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tomatoes are naturally quite sweet - I ditched them pretty early on in my journey as my taste buds could no longer cope - bolognaise sauce started to taste like a dessert!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry you're feeling so glum about the diet, @If_only

I find low carb tasty enough.

I like tomatoes, good for gents.
https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/archive/index.php/t-113842.html

But rarely use tinned.
A slice or two fried doesn't up my BG at breakfasts.

One of the thing I found was, previously with a the processed food I ate, I had to be aware of eating too much salt.

But since going LCHF, I started getting major leg cramps..the kind that force you out of bed in the early hours to "walk it off"

Seems too LITTLE salt going LCHF is common .

So I happily sprinkle a little Himalayan pink salt into most dishes.

Cramps kept away and food flavoursome.
Win/Win.

And as for baked beans..guilty as charged.

Heinze reduced salt/sugar..small tiny tiny tin.

I use half of one, heated in ramekin in microwave..again luckily doesn't upset my BG and one small tin does for two breakfasts.

And If I may ....

You seem to be doing well apart from the dislike ? Of LCHF.

Might I suggest, we all make risk assessments, in life daily
sure mine was concerning my impending death just after DX. ( Joke, btw )

But now, two years + later, I'm a tad more relaxed.

It took me eating poorly ( imho ) over 58 years to get to the stage I was, and if I'm honest more likely the last 30 ( 90's onwards) where I suspect the real damage was done.

So it's now = risk assessments PLUS a balance.

Can I eat everything...no.
Can I eat more then i ever expected after DX.. absolutely.
Will I never transgress..:bag::hilarious:

Eat to the meter, works, but sometimes we need to still love yourselves just a little bit.

I eat less
I eat better.

But am I a saint and will I whip myself for daring to enjoy a meal..nope.

We all must choose our path, for some that means strict adherence, others choose a less rigid path.

Be a shame that in saving ourselves (T2D) we might just lose some of the joy of actually being alive.

Good luck finding your own personal way.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. Ohhh don't get me started with baked beans. If I can only have a teaspoon of them then there is no point having them in the first place
Be patient. Over time your tastes will change. I recently tried a spoonful of baked beans and found them to be so sweet I spat them out. I used to love them so too!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There are lots of tasty veges and fruits you can eat - and for extra zing there are spices and herbs.
Low carb is anything but boring.

Reactions: TooSweetForMe