Type 1 Early Morning Exercise High Sugar Levels

JayTJ

Hi,

I am new to the forums so apologies if this has been covered many times.

Last year I managed to do Couch to 5k by running before lunch in order to lose weight and get fitter. On exercise days I lowered my breakfast insulin by 2 units and on average I have been 10 mmol before exercise and after a 40 min run it would drop to 7 on average. I would then have lunch with a lower dosage (dropped by 2 units) and all was good for the evening meal.

Lunch times I am now too busy with work and it is too warm, so I have tried running before breakfast. This has resulted in my sugars rising from 7 to 14mmol. I have tried increasing my breakfast insulin by 100% however my levels remained high by lunchtime, sometimes increasing to 18 mmol.

So at the moment I have abandoned the idea until I can understand how to approach this. I have been a type 1 for 42 years and running is a new activity which I would like to do, but before breakfast is my only opportunity. Exercise in the evening tends to make my levels drop too much overnight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jay

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi,

I am new to the forums so apologies if this has been covered many times.

Last year I managed to do Couch to 5k by running before lunch in order to lose weight and get fitter. On exercise days I lowered my breakfast insulin by 2 units and on average I have been 10 mmol before exercise and after a 40 min run it would drop to 7 on average. I would then have lunch with a lower dosage (dropped by 2 units) and all was good for the evening meal.

Lunch times I am now too busy with work and it is too warm, so I have tried running before breakfast. This has resulted in my sugars rising from 7 to 14mmol. I have tried increasing my breakfast insulin by 100% however my levels remained high by lunchtime, sometimes increasing to 18 mmol.

So at the moment I have abandoned the idea until I can understand how to approach this. I have been a type 1 for 42 years and running is a new activity which I would like to do, but before breakfast is my only opportunity. Exercise in the evening tends to make my levels drop too much overnight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jay
What insulins are you taking? Are your results from a finger prick rather than a Libre? I would suggest you test your basal insulin by skipping breakfast and see if your blood sugars remain level. If your basal is correct, then try taking half a unit to a unit of bolus insulin with coffee and cream before running.
I run before breakfast, just on basal insulin, and my sugars stay flat. I always run my blood sugars somewhere between 4 and 5 mmol/l.

JayTJ

I use Tresiba and test by pricking my finger.

So my sugars had risen on basal alone. So I increased my novorapid and had breakfast but the levels rose even further.