Snacks

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Just a heads up, fridge raiders and mature cheddar and chive dip are the best just for anyone sick of sucking on a boiled egg as a snack. Morrison’s have just sorted the quick snack go too out. Super low carb and so tasty

Reactions: If_only

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pretty high carb.. about 22% ...

During my Libre trial I ate a full 150g bag of normal peanuts & it hardly registered.

ibre.PNG

Thank christ cause I love nuts.

Reactions: Dudette1 and LaoDan

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do they have a special name in the Netherlands?
They're not eaten very much in the netherlands. Usually it's called something like 'spekknabbels' or 'knabbelspek' (bacon nibbles or nibble bacon, the word 'knabbel' also being suggestive of nibbling a crunchy food) but many Dutchies won't know what they are.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They're not eaten very much in the netherlands. Usually it's called something like 'spekknabbels' or 'knabbelspek' (bacon nibbles or nibble bacon, the word 'knabbel' also being suggestive of nibbling a crunchy food) but many Dutchies won't know what they are.

I never saw them when I lived in Amsterdam so did wonder..

Reactions: Antje77

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you put it that way, it sounds like cat food.

Then again, the cats do love pork scratchings. :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a heads up, fridge raiders and mature cheddar and chive dip are the best just for anyone sick of sucking on a boiled egg as a snack. Morrison’s have just sorted the quick snack go too out. Super low carb and so tasty
Here in the Netherlands there's often a cooled counter where they have tapas-like foods. Three for a fiver, and most of it is mediterranean in nature. Little cold sausages, prosciutto and other cold cuts, cubed hard cheeses, various olives (with cheese, pesto or garlic), shrimp with a marinade or garlic etc... It's one of the few places in the supermarket where I can really scoop all sorts up and into my trolly without having to over-think it. :)

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I do shelled nuts so I can’t just grab a handful, I have to to some manual labor to get my treat

Reactions: HSSS and Antje77

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

They sound much more exotic in Dutch!

Reactions: HSSS

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
One of my travel snacks is almost a quiche filling but firmer. Beat two eggs with a tablesp of double cream plus black pepper. Put about 10g of grated cheese into each section of a bun tin and top with the egg mixture. Add ham, chives, spring onion, etc to the cheese as wanted.
I find each egg does a couple of 'buns'.
Cook at 350 degrees, gas 4 for about 12-14 mins until firm.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
During my Libre trial I ate a full 150g bag of normal peanuts & it hardly registered.

View attachment 49869

Thank christ cause I love nuts.
It looks like your remission has had an amazing impact, you are very lucky. Unfortunately they may not have the same impact on everyone so we test to the meters and see how it all impacts. If lucky enough to have CGM it looks like it becomes a lot easier (accuracy dependent of course)

Peanuts appear about 16g/100g so for some may be okay as a snack. Of course they are also very high calorie and energy wise, I know about counting to carbs but I’d still be wary on them being a normal snack

I tend to go for things like cheese or ham, or Greek yoghurt and strawberries as my snack go to. Ideally I'd like to stick to the normal.set of meals but don't seem to have managed to turn off my hunger pangs still

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
One of my travel snacks is almost a quiche filling but firmer. Beat two eggs with a tablesp of double cream plus black pepper. Put about 10g of grated cheese into each section of a bun tin and top with the egg mixture. Add ham, chives, spring onion, etc to the cheese as wanted.
I find each egg does a couple of 'buns'.
Cook at 350 degrees, gas 4 for about 12-14 mins until firm.

That sounds really nice and I think I might try it. Though I'm not T2, I low carb because I'm pretty insulin resistant (T2 genetics from dad) and it's just too difficult if I have too many carbs.

And at the risk of a public shaming and a permanent forum ban, I'm afraid I've never liked pork scratchings. :):):). Obviously I'll never be able to call myself a proper diabetic again. :)

Reactions: HSSS