Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
Hey everyone, So I got my prescription today, I re ordered Novofine 30G (8mm) needles, and received Novofine Autocover... Are these replacing the old ones or has my chemist made a mistake? They are so chunky and I am not liking this change. I have added some photos.
20210609_002713.jpg
.pending-1623800278-20210609_002735~3.jpg

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can you check online on your drs records, if not you could ring the chemist and ask them to check your prescription. Had something similar happen to me with BD needles, and ended up having to ask for my usual BD ones as the alternative ones (same idea as the ones you've been given), raised my blood sugar. The chemist did say that the drs seemed to be giving the safety ones to everyone.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hmm, that's fascinating, never heard of these before (though that's possibly because they probably won't be available in New Zealand for at least a decade :).)

I googled them and they appear to be a combo of
1) for people with needle aversion
2) safety as presumably needle can't come off afteruse, which presumably means
3) you can't use the needle more than once....
4) and extra plastic waste....

And it's nice to see that the only thing that's changed in the demonstration of injection technique in 50 years is that now they use apples whereas when I was a child everyone learnt on oranges...

Mind you, there was a recent poster here who said their pharmacist told them they had a needle shortage, maybe they are out of stock of the traditional "unsafe" ones....

I guess it's one way to enforce a single use needle policy....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone, So I got my prescription today, I re ordered Novofine 30G (8mm) needles, and received Novofine Autocover... Are these replacing the old ones or has my chemist made a mistake? They are so chunky and I am not liking this change. I have added some photos. View attachment 49859View attachment 49864

Hi,

Did you get any paperwork regarding your next replete script list back when you pick up your prescription?
That should tell you. Or if you requested online, it should give you an idea if there was a change..

If there wasn't. Take it back to your chemist.

I normaly check the prescription contents prior to leaving the premises.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@No1DeadlyPoison I have never seen those needles.
The best way to work out whether your pharmacist has made a mistake is to ask them.
It may be a mistake, it may be that they didn't have your usual needles in stock so decided to make a substitution (I have read about a shortage of some needles which may be affecting them).

The other thing I noticed is that you are using 8mm needles. If this is what suits you that is fine.
But over the last 5 years or so, many of us have had our prescriptions changed to shorter needles (4mm) which are more "comfortable" to use. This could be worthwhile discussing with your diabetes team. For me, it greatly reduced the amount of bruising I experience from injections.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hmm, that's fascinating, never heard of these before (though that's possibly because they probably won't be available in New Zealand for at least a decade :).)

I googled them and they appear to be a combo of
1) for people with needle aversion
2) safety as presumably needle can't come off afteruse, which presumably means
3) you can't use the needle more than once....
4) and extra plastic waste....

And it's nice to see that the only thing that's changed in the demonstration of injection technique in 50 years is that now they use apples whereas when I was a child everyone learnt on oranges...

Mind you, there was a recent poster here who said their pharmacist told them they had a needle shortage, maybe they are out of stock of the traditional "unsafe" ones....

I guess it's one way to enforce a single use needle policy....

....and you can't do what I did and stab your finger by accident after injecting and get a massive problem with an infection.
Mrs Urb brought a couple of these back from the nursing home where she works. They have been using them for diabetic residents for a while now, apparently. I was actually quite impressed with the operation and concept but at the expense of more waste plastic.

Reactions: EllieM

No1DeadlyPoison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
Hi,

Did you get any paperwork regarding your next replete script list back when you pick up your prescription?
That should tell you. Or if you requested online, it should give you an idea if there was a change..

If there wasn't. Take it back to your chemist.

I normaly check the prescription contents prior to leaving the premises.
The presentation said my normal ones, so maybe they didn't have them in a just gave me these ones, I tried them, really don't like them.

No1DeadlyPoison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
@No1DeadlyPoison I have never seen those needles.
The best way to work out whether your pharmacist has made a mistake is to ask them.
It may be a mistake, it may be that they didn't have your usual needles in stock so decided to make a substitution (I have read about a shortage of some needles which may be affecting them).

The other thing I noticed is that you are using 8mm needles. If this is what suits you that is fine.
But over the last 5 years or so, many of us have had our prescriptions changed to shorter needles (4mm) which are more "comfortable" to use. This could be worthwhile discussing with your diabetes team. For me, it greatly reduced the amount of bruising I experience from injections.
I'll speak to the chemist and see whats happening!

My nurse has spoken to me about the needles, they did try to give me 4mm ones, I much prefer the 8mm, so I have kept using them. It is what works for me

Reactions: In Response

No1DeadlyPoison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
....and you can't do what I did and stab your finger by accident after injecting and get a massive problem with an infection.
Mrs Urb brought a couple of these back from the nursing home where she works. They have been using them for diabetic residents for a while now, apparently. I was actually quite impressed with the operation and concept but at the expense of more waste plastic.
I have accidentally stabbed myself many times, but I still like them needles to the ones they have me! Lol

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The presentation said my normal ones, so maybe they didn't have them in a just gave me these ones, I tried them, really don't like them.

Sounds to me like a "substitution." Though this should have been brought to your attention by the chemist.
Or, an error regarding what was order picked off the shelf..

Most chemists I know adhere to the prescription (it's part of their protocol.) if they do not have an item in stock or the stock is low?
They will either omit the item asking for me to return later for it. Or give me what they have. Also asking me to return for the balance.

I've only ever had one change direct from the chemist & that was a replacement spare basal pen. The design & name had been altered since the last few orders..

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
One thing to bear in mind is that 8mm needles are becoming increasingly rare as many now use 4mm. This may cause a chemist to run out of stock and need to substitute?