Freestyle Libre - Does anyone put it anywhere other than their arm?

MIQ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

I wear mine on the top of my inside leg, the reason for this is I do a lot of weight training, and it simply won’t go into my muscle on my arm , been using it there since they cane out , you can’t see it at all and it’s works spot on

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using since start of December -
First on arm - fell of after 38 hours
Second on arm fell off in shower after 48 hours
both replaced by Abbott
Third - put on chest lasted 9 days
Fourth - stupid and dangerous errors in readings - took off and returned to Abbott
I tried cleaning skin with lint free cloth and alcohol - lasted 12 days.
Now have had 6 replaced - and last time told if not put on arm would never replace or support!
I have had things like >> if you do not supply confirmation you are to use from your GP or Consultant we will not supply replacements.
Currently >>
having tested using Finger and compared to libre readings for 10 weeks to identify the error levels -
BG below 8 libre id about 2.5 under
. 8 to 13 near enough
. 14 and above - gets wilder the higher the reading.
With this infor I have now used with periodic finger checks for about 2 months - Sensor on skin on front of chest on loose skin adjacent to armpit - swapping sides when change sensor.
I still think Abbott need to recognise that in the real world everyone is different and an awful lot of us find arms impractical or useless.

Paul T1 for over 60 years - still here -
50,000 + injections later complete with finger tips of steel which may soften up if I get to keep the Libre on prescription.

AlisonMF

Hello,

I have been using the freestyle libre with great results but i have been getting a little down as so many people think that the sensor is a nicorette patch and i am giving up smoking! (I have never smoked a cigarette in my life!)

Does anyone place the sensor anywhere other than their arm? Now that we are in summer months this is becoming a daily occurrence that i get questions.

Many thanks
Sarah
I have worn mine on my upper thigh and also below bikini line. It seems to me it works perfectly well there. Don't be put off by the lack of licence. Just give it a go and see what works for you. Especially in the summer....what summer!!!

Reactions: Glucobabu

Helen@EV

I've just been offered a Freestyle but reading all the above makes it sound as though using one is going to be more hassle than it's worth. Wished I'd read these posts prior to signing the form....! My diabetes nurse said it was worn on the inside of the upper arm. Has anyone tried it there or does it have to be the back?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just been offered a Freestyle but reading all the above makes it sound as though using one is going to be more hassle than it's worth. Wished I'd read these posts prior to signing the form....! My diabetes nurse said it was worn on the inside of the upper arm. Has anyone tried it there or does it have to be the back?

Helen, don't be put off, I'm sure you will love it. I do! Yes, there may be a few issues but generally speaking it is great for checking your levels and helping you to reduce hypos, etc. I wear mine all around the arm as it were just to give my skin some rest but the best place for me is more towards the rear of the inside arm (if that makes sense) so if you held your arm out straight in front of you, palm down, the device would be directly underneath the arm. Honestly there are SO many type 1s (and insulin users) who would KILL for a libre on prescription, and the initial post was 3 years ago, they have improved a lot since then. x

Reactions: Trio1

Timng37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

I wear mine on the top of my inside leg, the reason for this is I do a lot of weight training, and it simply won’t go into my muscle on my arm , been using it there since they cane out , you can’t see it at all and it’s works spot on

Timng37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I put my on chest as I am very active in exercise. Try on arm get knock off even put tape on. Use arm a lot in gym n swimming so sensor seem not good on arm. Try thigh on leg also great spot.

CJT66

Our son has recently moved to a Freestyle and is suffering considerable pain. He is only 12 and has always been very thin. But when the Libra is attached its so painful that he can hardly sleep for the first 3 or 4 days , he has resorted actually taking some painkilling tablets at bedtime . Its so bad we are serious considering going back to finger pricks.
But if it can be made to work it will make his life so much easier , but cant go on with this pain.
I am guessing its possibly because his arms are so thin that the wee 'needlke' is hitting muscle or perhaps even bone.

We wondered if it would work on his leg or even abdomen where there is at least a little bit of flesh

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
Worked fine in those places for me when I wad trying different places

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But if it can be made to work it will make his life so much easier , but cant go on with this pain.
I am guessing its possibly because his arms are so thin that the wee 'needlke' is hitting muscle or perhaps even bone.

We wondered if it would work on his leg or even abdomen where there is at least a little bit of flesh[/QUOTE]

Hello, CJT66,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm sorry that the Libre is causing pain, and I'm really surprised. Could it be the thought of a 'needle' that is the problem? The needle looks and feels like a tiny tiny piece of bendy plastic, certainly not like a sharp or rigid needle. It might help your son if he looks at it when he removes it from his arm at the end of its 2-week duration and sees that it's just a tiny piece of bendy plastic (which also happens to be a fantastic piece of tech to tell him his blood sugar levels.)
While the bit of plastic gives me no problem, I just wish that the sensor would stay on more securely. I've lost two or three before their useful life is over because of this problem, but luckily I'm not self-funded. I use an elasticated cloth armband over the sensor because I find the sensor doesn't get wrenched off accidentally quite so easily. They can be purchased from various suppliers online and there is a wide choice of designs.

BeckyD1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

I have been using the freestyle libre with great results but i have been getting a little down as so many people think that the sensor is a nicorette patch and i am giving up smoking! (I have never smoked a cigarette in my life!)

Does anyone place the sensor anywhere other than their arm? Now that we are in summer months this is becoming a daily occurrence that i get questions.

Many thanks
Sarah
I get asked this question all the time!
Also I’m finding that after a day sat in the sun my sensor stops working and they ask me to replace it.
I keep asking the same question. “Does length direct sunlight mess with it” I keep getting told no but I don’t believe it xx

steveo4

I put it on my thigh and it works really well.
20220718_203832.jpg

Emaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

Many thanks
Sara
I know you asked this a while ago and it’s no longer in the summer, but in the chance you see this, I definitely recommend patterned or coverful adhesive patches! It makes it look more like some kind of sensor and actually helps keep the sensor in place for the full 14 days.

Even if you put it somewhere else, your reading results can vary and become inaccurate :( I tried it once but it caused ME a lot of problems and my doctor explained the difference between placing it behind my arm versus anywhere else. It’s definitely inconvinient to have everyone think it’s a nicotine patch but it’s intended placement is unfortunately where it’s most visible. But it’s different for everyone, so if patches don’t seem like your style, maybe others’ suggestions can help.

P.S.
I like Dexcom so much better. Much easier to use and it CAN be applied in other places. Con: it’s a bit bulkier.

Bindigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

Many thanks
Sarah
Hi Sarah,
Yes, i wear the sensor on my chest just under my bra strap, you just need to put on your bra first so it can be placed in middle as sometimes edge of bra will go under sensor and lift it off. I have been wearing on my chest for over a year now and accuracy has been great.
Hope this helps.
Lesley