Freestyle sensors placement

GiveItAway

Hi.

I had a telephone appointment with the doctor the other day and he said that it was okay to use the stomach as an alternative placement to the back of the arm.

Though officially I think there is no word from Abbott about placing the sensors anywhere but the aforementioned back of arm.

What I did forget to ask the doctor was exactly where on the stomach he was implying it was okay to place the sensor. Does anyone have any ideas?

I want to give the backs of my arms a rest and besides I have been losing some days of the sensors life recently (possibly due to sleeping on my side and putting pressure on the sensors).

I am quite lean so not much fat if that makes a difference.

I looked at some videos on youtube about this but quite frankly they sucked big time. The usual Youtube cockiness and style over substance.

Thanks.

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@GiveItAway if you manage your diabetes with an insulin pump, you will need to ensure you keep your sensor away from your cannula. Apart from that I think the only advice I am aware of is to place it where you have sufficient padding (don't try to insert it into your hip bone ... it hurts!) and keep it away from waistbands or anything which may catch it.

Reactions: LucySW

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I use stomach regularly as previously stated as long as it’s not too near belt either side of belly button does me I’ve used chest too

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
Tried on the inner arm for the first time. Readings are good and no danger of falling off.
20210610_164155.jpg

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Hi.

I had a telephone appointment with the doctor the other day and he said that it was okay to use the stomach as an alternative placement to the back of the arm.

Though officially I think there is no word from Abbott about placing the sensors anywhere but the aforementioned back of arm.

What I did forget to ask the doctor was exactly where on the stomach he was implying it was okay to place the sensor. Does anyone have any ideas?

I want to give the backs of my arms a rest and besides I have been losing some days of the sensors life recently (possibly due to sleeping on my side and putting pressure on the sensors).

I am quite lean so not much fat if that makes a difference.

I looked at some videos on youtube about this but quite frankly they sucked big time. The usual Youtube cockiness and style over substance.

Thanks.

I read you're not overly impressed with the YouTube videos.
But, you might like the channel Type One Talks. I send the link for abdomen placements:
Hope this one is better.

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tried on the inner arm for the first time. Readings are good and no danger of falling off. View attachment 49907

That's where I bang mine. :)
Not on "your" arm of course.. ;)

No "compression lows" either.
The only time if noticed a little oddness is on the right arm whilst hand sawing wood. (But only correlating with the activity.)

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That's where I bang mine. :)
Not on "your" arm of course.. ;)

No "compression lows" either.
The only time if noticed a little oddness is on the right arm whilst hand sawing wood. (But only correlating with the activity.)
When I do a finger prick test, I notice that my readings were 2 below consistently.

Will try elsewhere.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If it's consistently below by 2 then just add 2 each time you scan and it's accurate. It's the sensors that the amount they're out by varies with each scan that means they're unreliable that present the issue.

TimLibre

C238CEE6-8D3A-4F77-B99C-5D8708CF60F3.png

leg on the part where you could take your insulin works perfectly for me.

When placing try to relax your leg (so dont fully stretch or bend your leg, but let it a bit loose so that theres a ‘buffer’)

of course this isnt officially approved, but have been doing it for years.

Last edited:

holdem

Hi is the motivation for not putting the sensor on the suggested area more of a practical thing (to avoid it coming off/ looking a bit strange) rather than to get a more accurate blood level?

Has anyone found an area to be more accurate than others?

thanks

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I put mine just on top of bum cheek pretty accurate readings just as good as arms and less likely to catch on anything

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I do a finger prick test, I notice that my readings were 2 below consistently.

Will try elsewhere.

What happens when you test on the same side the sensor is placed, roughly 20 minutes after the last sensor reading?

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What happens when you test on the same side the sensor is placed, roughly 20 minutes after the last sensor reading?
Always 2 out.

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If it's consistently below by 2 then just add 2 each time you scan and it's accurate. It's the sensors that the amount they're out by varies with each scan that means they're unreliable that present the issue.
I would but my consultant has access to my readings and makes decisions based on that, so while that is ok for me, it's not for him.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can you show him a few finger prick tests proving it's consistently out by 2? A good endo should be satisfied by that. My diabetes team always look at Libre results alongside any finger prick tests I do, and have never had a problem. Have to say they're an incredible team though, and I count myself very fortunate, as I know not everyone has this.