Abbot Freestyle Libre error at the end of sensor life

Jack_br

Hi,

From day 1 to day 12 Abbot Freestyle sensor was ok. But after that until day 14 it was always showing values between 58 and 68. The fact is that I am sure I was not on hypo for almost 3 days in a roll.

Has anyone also had experiencies with wrong measures at the end of sensor life?

Thanks for any comment.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The sensors can fail at any time during their life, though they shouldn't normally, they should work correctly for all 14 days

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

From day 1 to day 12 Abbot Freestyle sensor was ok. But after that until day 14 it was always showing values between 58 and 68. The fact is that I am sure I was not on hypo for almost 3 days in a roll.

Has anyone also had experiencies with wrong measures at the end of sensor life?

Thanks for any comment.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

In my experience, the Libre could sometimes get quite scatty towards the end of days? Just random figures up or down using a Bluetooth bridge CGM set up.. Scanning, though not so detail concurred.

To date, since switching the L2 has been pretty spot on all the way through..

I read somewhere dehydration could play them up?
Have you contacted Abbott? They may send a replacment sensor if there is a fault.

Jack_br

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

In my experience, the Libre could sometimes get quite scatty towards the end of days? Just random figures up or down using a Bluetooth bridge CGM set up.. Scanning, though not so detail concurred.

Have you contacted Abbott? They may send a replacment sensor if there is a fault.

Thanks for your comment.

I have just called Abbott. They said that the sensor is supposed to last until day 14 with no errors.

They also said that I can check the finger glucose, and If necessary call them again. They will than go through some procedures and even change the sensor if necessary.

I am with a new sensor now. So I will call them again if I see any great difference from finger glucose and Libre.

kazam401

3 out of the last 4 (type 1) sensors I have used have ended early - I have lost over 18 days monitoring due to this and I am far from happy about it considering the huge cost of these sensors.
My question is are ABBOTT sending bad version 1 sensors out to force users into migrating onto version 2 ?.

Version 2 freestyle sensors are what I am trying to avoid due to Abbotts reluctance to open up the software so I can use my smartwatch to monitor levels.

This is poor behaviour from Abbott if true and I will continue as long as I can on version 1 sensors, with Abbott helpline operators getting phone calls about failing sensors for as long as they continue to supply them.

Tomorrow the phone call is to ask for 3 new type 1 sensors due to early failure.

I have all the serial numbers and sensors to send back so hopefully they will replace all these bad sensors.

Last edited:

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Am still using libre 1 and not had any ending early. Maybe you have just been unlucky. Hope the replacements work for the full 14 days.

brucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have had problems with Libre 1 sensors showing more random figures towards the end of their lives. In addition, I've also had breakages in the continuous monitoring when the sensor is coming to an end. I've also had times when I have clearly been hypo but my sensor has not reflected this! It can be very frustrating!

I replaced my old Libre 1 with my first Libre 2 last weekend, only to be presented with an error message on my Librelink saying that the sensor might be loose and to try again. It turned out it was faulty. This is the 2nd time this has happened in the last 2 months.

Jack_br

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Another sensor... and... error. For the very first 6-7 days the sensor most of the time was showing false hypos. And finally, the sensor "ended" 6-7 days before day 14. :
IMG_9D42997E32B8-1.jpeg

I called Abbott and they will send me a new sensor.